Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 pm 

Does anyone have an interview or anything where he says why he didn't use them? Besides giving him a headache, I'm sure he had other reasons not to use them.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:30 pm 

Hi Supernaut and welcome to the forum:

You can watch a buncha these:

Pennsylvania Cop interview in 4 parts (1981)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O1x3tc9BnDg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioRDXkxHXhg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9y8DF9c_eBc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHY_ggHpSSA

Pennsylvania Cop interview in 3 parts (1988):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dxVmOG6LUek

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpnObCIVlGE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5aLoyfnBUGs

FZ covers the topic of drugs in both interviews very well and it's worthwhile for everything else as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:23 am 

Drugs are bad, mm-kaaay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:50 am 

He DID do drugs

ETHANOL
NICOTINE
CAFFEINE

KILLERS^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:10 am 

Supernaut wrote:
Does anyone have an interview or anything where he says why he didn't use them? Besides giving him a headache, I'm sure he had other reasons not to use them.

Thanks

I'm gonna ask him when I see him. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:45 am 

I'd say the main reason is he was a workaholic. It's hard to keep it up when one needs to sleep it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 am 

brainpang wrote:
I'd say the main reason is he was a workaholic. It's hard to keep it up when one needs to sleep it off.

very true

weed makes you relaxed so it would of effected zappa's workrate.

Obviously any lsd, shrooms or mdma would effect his work(not in a bad way though i reckon).

For all his smarts zappa was very ignorant to drugs and so called drugs such as magic mushrooms which is just an organic vegetable.

DRUGS ARE NOT BAD; some drugs are bad; mainly legal ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:25 am 

jimmypageisapedo wrote:
brainpang wrote:

very true

Obviously any lsd, shrooms or mdma would effect his work(not in a bad way though i reckon).

For all his smarts zappa was very ignorant to drugs and so called drugs such as magic mushrooms which is just an organic vegetable.

Don't know how old you are but I'm a product of the 70's as far as teenage experimentation goes. I appreciated that Frank was 'straight,' and it kept me on my toes during a very ugly time, drug-use wise.
That was one of the failures of the 60's counterculture. The drugs that got dumped on us little kids in the 70's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:26 pm 
Banned

brainpang wrote:
jimmypageisapedo wrote:
brainpang wrote:

very true

Don't know how old you are but I'm a product of the 70's as far as teenage experimentation goes. I appreciated that Frank was 'straight,' and it kept me on my toes during a very ugly time, drug-use wise.
That was one of the failures of the 60's counterculture. The drugs that got dumped on us little kids in the 70's.

Boo-hoo-hoo!! They made us have a good time, it was horrible!! :) just jokin',BP... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:42 pm 

jimmypageisapedo wrote:
brainpang wrote:

very true

oops

Last edited by dchale on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:44 pm 

jimmypageisapedo wrote:
brainpang wrote:

...magic mushrooms which is just an organic vegetable.

I know those magic mushrooms are only organic vegetables, but have you ever tried to give a speech after eating a handful...very challenging. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:43 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Hi Supernaut and welcome to the forum..

Thanks for the welcome and the links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:21 pm 

jimmypageisapedo wrote:

:mrgreen: what a moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:16 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
brainpang wrote:
jimmypageisapedo wrote:
brainpang wrote:

very true

Boo-hoo-hoo!! They made us have a good time, it was horrible!! :) just jokin',BP... :wink:

Yeah, after watching "That 70s Show" and "Dazed and Confused" my first thought was "Those poor kids....."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:46 pm 

Supernaut wrote:

Thanks

Frank Zappa: Now, let's talk about the drug problem. Drugs do not become a problem until the person who uses the drugs does something to you, or does something that would affect your life that you don't want to have happen to you, like an airline pilot who crashes because he was full of drugs. That's a drug problem. I believe that people have the right to commit suicide. You can stick a gun in your mouth. You can stick a needle in your arm. You can do whatever you want, but you own your own body. I think you do. Drugs become a problem when the person who uses them turns into an asshole, and they also become a problem when the person who manufactures and distributes them turns into a politician. That's the drug problem. Now, you want to fight the drug problem. You have to be realistic about what the problem is. The substance itself is not immoral. Without cocaine you're going to have a hell of a time at the dentist's office. You can't say, "We have to burn ever coca plant". Otherwise, no more Novocaine, buddy.

Bob Marshall: The dental hygiene dilemma

Frank Zappa: Yeah. So there are things that you have to consider. There are the fine, little points. The problem is that the public gets saturated with the rhetoric about "just say no to drugs, there's a drug problem", and this and that and it puts it into a context where it becomes a moral menace. It's not a moral problem. It is an economic problem. It is a social problem. It is a mental health problem. And it can be a matter of physical danger to you when you have people who have life-and-death control over other people, who are users and they can endanger the life, like a physician, who might use drugs, who might give you the wrong kind of an operation. Or different ways the person who uses the chemical can fuck up your life. That's what you've got to look out for, but the substance itself is neither here nor there, and the person has as much right to drink a beer as he does to use the substance. The only difference is we have prohibition now of these certain substances. If you'll let your mind drift back to the time there was prohibition against alcohol, think of what happened. Remember: those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Without Carry Nations, every Italian in the Mafia would be out of business right now. It was Carry Nations who put them into business. Because there was the law of supply and demand. People wanted to drink beer. They wanted to drink gin and a few guys say, "Hey, I don't care, I'm going to supply the demand", and they became billionaires. And they eventually found out and people got killed for years all during Prohibition. The machine gun was busy. People were dying because they wanted a beer, and the government literally could not enforce the prohibition on alcohol. And in the time that they had this moral law to keep people from drinking alcohol, they managed to create the empire of organized crime. And the same thing is happening with cocaine. A guy in the jungle with a swami shirt on some place is going to wind up ruling half the world because somebody decided that cocaine was a moral problem. Cocaine used to be an ingredient in Coca Cola. Was it a moral problem then?

Bob Marshall: That's well-spoken, and that distinguishes the difference between you and LaRouche because he thinks the solution is to continue banning them.

Frank Zappa: It won't work.

zappa-bob marshall 1988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:30 am 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:

Thanks, I got a big laugh out of that.
Yea, many great totally insane memories of my youth.
I can't even talk to my wife about it and she's only 5 years younger. It upsets her. We were all juvenile delinquents back then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:07 pm 

brainpang wrote:
...many great totally insane memories of my youth...

when z's of temple balls or decent double-camel was $150-$200, supporting afghan freedom fighters vs. the ruskies; fire up that chillum & fight communism with every hit...bom shiva

warning/guarantee wrote:

the thmq is intended solely for comparison purposes and in no way is
meant as an inducment to illegal activity, or as an endorsement of dope
usage or trafficking, or as an endorsement of any particular dope

btw, dude, ya gotta check out a doob of that guerrero gold...fucking paralyzing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:27 am 

He didn't do drugs cos he had a brain in his head that he liked to use. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 pm 
Banned

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

OK, Aspy now that would imply that no one who uses drugs likes to use their brain, and we both know that is not true. Zappa is the exception to the rule. A lot of fine artists have used drugs to enhance creativity or performance. Zappa liked drugs himself: coffee, cigarettes, and occasionally recreational alcohol. But those are legal taxed drugs. I repeat legal taxed drugs. He would have smoked pot, but didn't like the effects(sleepiness and sore throat, guess he didn't smoke any of the mind-blowing,non-sleep-inducing shit we have now). He actually gave it about 10 tries, to make sure. So by that rationale, if FZ would have liked the effects of pot, he would have been a pothead. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:12 pm 
Banned

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmypageisapedo wrote:

Agreed. I think we have a brand new Forum Idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 pm 

zombie1210 wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmypageisapedo wrote:

It's obvious that jimmypageisapedo is the ahteest formally known as zombie1210.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:00 pm 
Banned

brainpang wrote:
zombie1210 wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jimmypageisapedo wrote:

It's obvious that jimmypageisapedo is the ahteest formally known as zombie1210.

Now, THAT isn't funny!

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:27 pm 

J.C.GreasyVII wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

OK, Aspy now that would imply that no one who uses drugs likes to use their brain, and we both know that is not true. Zappa is the exception to the rule. A lot of fine artists have used drugs to enhance creativity or performance. Zappa liked drugs himself: coffee, cigarettes, and occasionally recreational alcohol. But those are legal taxed drugs. I repeat legal taxed drugs. He would have smoked pot, but didn't like the effects(sleepiness and sore throat, guess he didn't smoke any of the mind-blowing,non-sleep-inducing shit we have now). He actually gave it about 10 tries, to make sure. So by that rationale, if FZ would have liked the effects of pot, he would have been a pothead. :idea:

I have to say, is actually deciding to take drugs using your brain in the first place...? I aint a prude by any means but I just do not see the point in it.

Well, of these so called "fine artists" how many were actually able to function successfully whilst not under the influence? Surely if they were talented enough in the first place they wouldnt have needed to take anything to enhance their work. I just personally think it's a brainless thing to do. Each to his own and all that, mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:02 pm 

I think work was his drug of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:18 pm 

catpuke wrote:
I think work was his drug of choice.

You can get plenty high off of creating something, like music for instance. I know that sounds cheesy but a lot of the time it's true.

Stream my music here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next