Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:02 am 

[quote="pocket_fishermanThere are many safe, easy to find and identify hallucenigenic shrooms in the wild everywhere in the US, which have no risk of death or extreme illness. [/quote]

whoa down there. That is kind of misleading statement. Any compound in excess is able to kill you including water.

peyote is great! try the fresh buttons as a tea. I have never puked from peyote. chewing up buttons is stupid! more people die from alcohol everyday than peyote. never hurt me yes it did no it didn't yes you did no i didn't

there is a time and a place for these kinds of experiences. I think the problem is being over indulgent and expecting some miraculous to change your life for you. but once in a while it might be good for some people to; roll a little spliff an take a lift.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:28 pm 

Drugs are the worst. My friend just quit weed and now needs to take heavy medicines to repair his neurons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:58 pm 

BBP wrote:
Drugs are the worst. My friend just quit weed and now needs to take heavy medicines to repair his neurons.

I hope it is not one of those anti-depressants that were mentioned on the Bowling for Columbine thread... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:36 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
BBP wrote:

I hope it is not one of those anti-depressants that were mentioned on the Bowling for Columbine thread... :roll:

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr_G_G, you've inadvertently raised an especially important point that, for all intents and purposes, no one ever does raise anywhere: "...not one of those anti-depressants that were mentioned on the Bowling for Columbine thread..." It's more than worth a look at the differing effects of the "new generation" of anti-depressants in contrast to the 'old generation" of anti-depressants. The old generation consists of the "tricyclic" (dibenzazepine) anti-depressants (Not even to mention the MAO Inhibitors.) that were and are all generic ph@rmaceuticals that were not very profitable for lack of exclusive brand-name registration.
Not so once the SSRIs ("selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors") and SNRIs ("selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors") beginning with "Prozac" in 1988 (No longer under exclusive registration, that has expired.) and moving on right up to the one you see advertised on TV 24/7 and double-page advertised in glossy magazines. Those translate into multiple billions of dollars and, by now, the F.D.A. has become nothing more than the lapdog of "Big Ph@rma".

Much of this is very suspicious and the unpredictable behavior has seemed to have occurred after the new generation began to crowd out the anti-depressant market powered by the incomprehensible profitability the major ph@rmaceutical giants.

--Bat :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:47 am 

The one thing I would add is that the SSRI's have become highly successful for millions of depressed and anxious people (a couple of the SSRIs - Zoloft and Paxil - are approved for severe anxiety as well as depresson). In my career I've seen hundreds of cases where those meds have absolutely turned people's lives around. The side effect profile, compared to the old-school trycyclics (which had major side effect problems), is incredible.

Some people are suicidal or really crazy on a cellular level, and people like that might kill themselves or do other nasty shit. But it's not the new antidepressants causing behavior; it's the fact that no medication works for everyone, or someone might have a paradoxical reaction to the meds. So you're gonna have some really tragic stories.

The pharm companies develop some cool drugs that really help people. But their greed is staggering, as well as the lengths they'll go to feed the greed. Sometimes they suppress valid research. Sometimes they misguide physicians who should be paying more attention. And we all know the politicians of both major parties have totally crawled up inside the pharm companys' asses and made a nice cozy home there.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:07 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
The one thing I would add is that the SSRI's have become highly successful for millions of depressed and anxious people (a couple of the SSRIs - Zoloft and Paxil - are approved for severe anxiety as well as depresson).

Yeah, they've made great strides in making drugs that help people with being in reality versus taking drugs for escaping or hiding from it. That's a great direction for research to head in, for sure.
Quote:
In my career I've seen hundreds of cases where those meds have absolutely turned people's lives around.

Hundreds of cases in your career?!! :shock: Wow, that sounds incredibly authoritative! Makes you sound like an expert on this! So this would be hundreds of cases in your career as a...what?... Phsychiatrist? Medical Doctor? Chemist? Ph@rmacist? Medical Research Analyst?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:56 am 

stupid question!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:51 am 

massagio wrote:
stupid question!

You mean "Why didn't Frank use drugs?" which has gone on for 6 pages now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
The one thing I would add is that the SSRI's have become highly successful for millions of depressed and anxious people (a couple of the SSRIs - Zoloft and Paxil - are approved for severe anxiety as well as depresson).

Yeah, they've made great strides in making drugs that help people with being in reality versus taking drugs for escaping or hiding from it. That's a great direction for research to head in, for sure.
Quote:
In my career I've seen hundreds of cases where those meds have absolutely turned people's lives around.

Hundreds of cases in your career?!! :shock: Wow, that sounds incredibly authoritative! Makes you sound like an expert on this! So this would be hundreds of cases in your career as a...what?... Phsychiatrist? Medical Doctor? Chemist? Ph@rmacist? Medical Research Analyst?

I've been working in mental health for 25 years. I am a clinical social worker specializing in severe pathology and gerontology. Now leave me alone you snide asshole.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Quote:

I've been working in mental health for 25 years. I am a clinical social worker specializing in severe pathology and gerontology. Now leave me alone you snide asshole.

Oh, you're a social worker. OK.

That explains a lot, actually.

And no need for the rude name calling, dear, I was just asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:16 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Quote:

Sure. I admire your honesty. :roll:

Funny how it's always the closed minds that resort to stereotyping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:40 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Quote:

For only a few scant years ('81 -- '86) I volunteered to be available for two of the best researchers-practitioners in what was still a profession but -- and I'm not saying this it true of you, Ronny's -- their ilk has been nearly blown off the face of the earth in favor of a new breed who aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell and I wouldn't give them the shit off my shoes for payment! I'd want them to cut me a check!
I want to laugh, I mean I really want to laugh my fucking balls off at what I've seen and heard but just can't get myself do it because it still brings my piss to a boil to see the Moe, Larry and Curly school at work.

Swifty's drugs are drugs are drugs if they change what's happening in the head is a common view and I get what he means but yes, I'm still an advocate of old generation non-money-makers over the new generation billion dollar generators because they're so half-assed and clinically sloppy.
Whups! I'm cutting myself off here before I have a whole fucking treatise running here!

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:51 am 

All I'm saying is if you put greed and ethics aside for the sake of conversation, the medications for depression and anxiety these days work wonderfully for the vast majority of users. That's one thing they've gotten right. The meds for psychotic disorders have also advanced quite a bit. Unfortunately, the drug companies are now spending a ton of money to convince every woman in the world that she's bipolar and needs these new meds to survive a simple day. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:58 am 

I agree with Nooms. These drugs WORK, if taken correctly. I'm a textbook case myself. Some bad press has resulted from adolescents committing suicide near the beginning of their treatment; however, this is really just a case of being in that dangerous transition period where you go from "not being able to get off the couch" to "finally being motivated", and before the treatment really has a chance to kick in full gear, the kids feel motivated enough to kill themselves, but not happy enough to stop themselves from doing so. This is why physicians have to be very attentive to adolescents in the early stages of treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 am 

So what the fuck did those poor kids do a hundred years ago ,with no drugs, cry me a river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 am 

feetlightup wrote:
I agree with Nooms. These drugs WORK, if taken correctly. I'm a textbook case myself. Some bad press has resulted from adolescents committing suicide near the beginning of their treatment; however, this is really just a case of being in that dangerous transition period where you go from "not being able to get off the couch" to "finally being motivated", and before the treatment really has a chance to kick in full gear, the kids feel motivated enough to kill themselves, but not happy enough to stop themselves from doing so. This is why physicians have to be very attentive to adolescents in the early stages of treatment.

Bull's-eye, feetlightup! This isn't the first time these suicides were noticed, 25 to 30 years went by and somebody bothered to notice again the same thing happening in the same age ranges during which suicides over all generally occur -- and, with anti-depressant medication in mind, for exactly the reason you explained: When the severity of the depression is so debilitating that suicide is far too much of an effort there is no suicide, but then it becomes possible once just enough has lifted that it's not too effortful once that twilight level has been reached and suicide's no longer too effortful to be committed -- before the depression is sufficiently relieved that suicide is no longer an appealing option.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:20 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
So what the fuck did those poor kids do a hundred years ago ,with no drugs, cry me a river.
Maybe some of them lived a normal, full life-expectancy of 44 years, BS.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:06 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:

Now that you mention it, it's funny how those who are stereotypical think that anybody who notices obvious patterns are closed minded. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:50 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:

Now that you mention it, it's funny how those who are stereotypical think that anybody who notices obvious patterns are closed minded. :D

That's a stretch even for you Swifty. :wink: You obviously know nothing about social workers, psych meds, or me. You're out of your league. Come back when you do your homework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

They probably stopped being depressed after some years passed, but had a miserable quality of life prior to that. Depression does lift, most of the time, but there are some people who are chronic. I think most people would agree it's a good thing they don't have to suffer now, if they pursue treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:

That's a stretch even for you Swifty. :wink: You obviously know nothing about social workers, psych meds, or me. You're out of your league. Come back when you do your homework.

Heh heh. What are you going to do...bleed on me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:31 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
swiftkicknow wrote:

Quote:
Heh heh. What are you going to do...bleed on me?

Swiftkicknow: All form, no content. :wink: An ugly outside with a sucking vacuum on the inside. Do you have anything of substance to add to this discussion, or is this it? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 pm 

Nope, I'm pretty much done for right now. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:09 pm 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Nope, I'm pretty much done for right now. :lol:

Maybe there's a god afterall. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:36 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

Maybe a couple of hundred years ago you would have died of some plague or other in your infancy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next