Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 35 years ago today
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 pm 

...was when the Grand Wazoo Orchestra played the first gig. Since The Grand Wazoo is my favorite Zappa album of all time, I decided to play the GW live recordings that I have on my HD during this month. I have recordings from 10th, 15th, 16th and 23th date. So naturally I'm going to listen to them all. This was truly a phenomenal ensemble, the most unique Zappa bands ever. A really big electric orchestra playing some of the toughest instrumental music he wrote. 1972 is also where FZ truly proved he was a genius composer, not just a raving eccentric with a genial touch.

BTW, the alto sax solo in "Big Swifty" really rules! The sax playing style reminds me of Ian Underwood (who of course is backing on electric piano, so one can safely conclude it's not Ian himself), and the way he holds the long notes for 30 seconds is cool too. Ray Reed? Charles Owens? Jay Migliori? A great player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 pm 

Ian could have doubled, is he credit with keys only?

Post subject: Re: 35 years ago today
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:59 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
...was when the Grand Wazoo Orchestra played the first gig. Since The Grand Wazoo is my favorite Zappa album of all time, I decided to play the GW live recordings that I have on my HD during this month. I have recordings from 10th, 15th, 16th and 23th date. So naturally I'm going to listen to them all. This was truly a phenomenal ensemble, the most unique Zappa bands ever. A really big electric orchestra playing some of the toughest instrumental music he wrote. 1972 is also where FZ truly proved he was a genius composer, not just a raving eccentric with a genial touch.

BTW, the alto sax solo in "Big Swifty" really rules! The sax playing style reminds me of Ian Underwood (who of course is backing on electric piano, so one can safely conclude it's not Ian himself), and the way he holds the long notes for 30 seconds is cool too. Ray Reed? Charles Owens? Jay Migliori? A great player.
I'm really curious now: Ian Underwood is nowhere on either Waka/Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo so how could he even be playing electric piano when that assignment was left to George Duke? This is the first I've ever heard of Ian on any part of the two.

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 pm 

also 35 years ago---the bob newhart show premiered! one of the classic comedies EVER. can't you hear that theme in your head now,boys and girls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Ian could have doubled, is he credit with keys only?

Batchain1001 wrote:
I'm really curious now: Ian Underwood is nowhere on either Waka/Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo so how could he even be playing electric piano when that assignment was left to George Duke? This is the first I've ever heard of Ian on any part of the two.

--Bat

1. No, you can't play woodwind and keyboard at the same time, not in the manner of a complex interplay going on there. Ian played synth and el. piano exclusively. The other horn players took care of woodwinds. Ian was back on woodwinds by the Ponty era tour.

2. I'm not sure why Ian was not on Wazoo albums, but appeared as part of the GW orchestra. He's on "Joe's Domage" though. It's likely that the guy was somehow too busy to sit in for the 1972 studio sessions. Of course I was referring to the live arrangement of "Big Swifty", which as FZ said, was spiffed over a bit compared to the studio record featuring multiple guitar and trumpet overdubs, and yes, Duke on el. piano.

Post subject: Re: 35 years ago today
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 am 

Today today for today yesterday? or even the day before today yesterday hair was a big thing