Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: David Logeman
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm
Posts: 470
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
i just recently discovered David Logeman played drums on "Fine Girl" and "Easy Meat" on Tinseltown Rebellion. As well as Y.A.W.Y.I., and some of the Stage Albums.
He's a motherfucker of a drummer, for Frank to hire him he must have been great....but he just disapeared...i wonder what happened to him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIbpafsY4fc

_________________
ImageImage
I aint gonna squash it, and you don't need to wash it...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1243
Location: Nashville, Tn
vinne wanted back. zappa loved vinnie's playing so he payed logeman off the rest of the tour and apoloigized profusely. what i have always wanted to knw is whether he reauditioned and chad got the seat or if he didn't. He is quite a good drummer, and learned a lot of songs in a shirt time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1243
Location: Nashville, Tn
vinne wanted back. zappa loved vinnie's playing so he payed logeman off the rest of the tour and apoloigized profusely. what i have always wanted to knw is whether he reauditioned and chad got the seat or if he didn't. He is quite a good drummer, and learned a lot of songs in a short time.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
I read an interview with him and he didn't think he'd get the Zappa gig at the audition. I like his version of Beautiful Guy the best!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm
Posts: 267
Location: Texas Motel
From an email posted on united-mutations.com (The paragraphs are mine to make it a little easier to read):

dear patrick, here is how i met zappa and got in the band: i heard about the auditions from a friend of mine who was a keyboardist. he gave me frank's management number. i called and they screened me right away. after they found out that i had recorded with mingo lewis of santana, jazz-fusionist jakob magnusson, and had replaced steve gadd in michel columbie's band, they let me come down to joe's garage to audition. there were about five guys there that day. i just went to meet a legend, never thinking i might get a chance to make the band. frank immediately said," you have to have big ears, be able to read, and be able to play rock."

there was a drum kit already set up and the band (ike willis-guitar/vocals, ray white-guitar/vocals, tommy mars-keys. and arthur barrow-bass) began to play an odd meter (alternating7/8-3/16 groove) without frank and without any warning or cues. frank handed the sticks to the first guy and said, "play!" i saw what was happening and went to the end of the line immediately. the first guy could not figure out the time signature, so within 10 seconds frank stopped the band and said, "thanks for coming down!" i thought-holy shit! by the time he got to me at the end, i had figured out the groove and i found one and began to play.

so, frank asked me to come back the next day. there were even more guys that day! big name guys were coming in from all over-la, new york,etc. i slipped back to the end of the line again. when he got to me, he wanted me to sight read the black page. about 2 lines into it i stopped. frank said,"what's wrong?' i replyed that it was too hard to sight read, but i could probably figure it out. he said that vinnie sight read it and i said, "bullshit. no one could sight read this." frank still insisted. (vinnie later told me that he had memorized it from the live rendition that terry bozzio had recorded). so much for the sight read, but frank said,"you can't read." i insisted that i could and asked to read another piece, which he declined, so i picked another piece of music off of the stack and read it. he liked that and asked me to come back again. the next day, it was-play some rock- no jazz stuff.

well, i grew up playing in tons of hard rock bands, so that was a breeze. alot of the other big name guys were jazzers, funkists, studio cats that couldn't do the rock thing. i had been very quiet during all of this, so frank came up to me and said,"do you even want this gig?" i still didn't think i had a chance-not after all the horror stories about how demanding frank could be(he used to be a drummer before he turned to guitar). i told him,"yeah."

then frank calls me days later saying that they were going into full production rehearsals and it was between me and one other guy. he would have this other guy go first and then me. well, the day that they were to start, i get another call from frank,"this other guy cracked. we took a break for lunch and he never came back! can you come first thing tomorrow?" so, i brought my kit and he called out a tune. i didn't know it. frank called another tune. didn't know it. he calls out one more. nope. (i had not listened to him since overnight sensation). frank says,"what do you know of mine?" we played some tunes off of overnight. he tried some new stuff on me and then offered me the job. i couldn't believe it! of course this all came about because vinnie had tried to squeeze a raise out of frank just before a tour and frank fired him.

i had to learn a 2 hour show in 10 days! it may not have been the mother's of invention anymore, but it was the brother's of retention! ha! i had a great time doing it, knowing that i would go through the revolving door, but it was the best musical experience of my life. frank was very demanding, but he was honest, fair, and not hard to get along with at all. he treated me great and we remained close even after i went on to do tv and studio work. i am glad that i stopped by his house about 6 months before he died. it was great to pay my respect to him while he was still alive. may he rest in peace.....david logeman


I thought Dave added a straightforward rock approach to FZ's compositions that really worked great. I would have liked to see him mature with Frank for a few years. His talent was every bit capable of working with Frank, and I guess it's not that horrible a thing to lose your seat to Vinnie Colaiuta... :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Australia
That's a great story. Thanks for posting.

I found it funny that Vinnie cheated on sight reading Black Page. That would be pretty much impossible to sight read on first look.

Also that's interesting that Frank wanted Vinnie back so much that he paid off Logeman to get him back in the band.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: David L
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 155
Nack Blapkin wrote:
Also that's interesting that Frank wanted Vinnie back so much that he paid off Logeman to get him back in the band.


Logemann did a great job but when you compare the tapes of the Summer 1980 tour with recordings from the Fall tour with Vinnie it's obvious that Vinnie is just a much better fit for FZ's playing style. I thought David did a great job on the written tunes but he's no Vinnie when it comes to improvising. I really liked David's playing on You Are What You Is but I always felt that the drum sound wasn't as good as other recordings that FZ's done. Especially, compared to the live tapes that I've heard David on. I think Frank was still working out the bugs at UMRK when he recorded that album.

When I saw FZ in the Fall of 1980 I was pleasantly surprised to see Vinnie back in the band to say the least. Yeah, obviously I'm a Vinnie fan but my hat's off to David! He got THE GIG!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: David L
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:58 pm
Posts: 411
Location: along the border line
gnits_wreck wrote:
Nack Blapkin wrote:
Also that's interesting that Frank wanted Vinnie back so much that he paid off Logeman to get him back in the band.


Logemann did a great job but when you compare the tapes of the Summer 1980 tour with recordings from the Fall tour with Vinnie it's obvious that Vinnie is just a much better fit for FZ's playing style. I thought David did a great job on the written tunes but he's no Vinnie when it comes to improvising. I really liked David's playing on You Are What You Is but I always felt that the drum sound wasn't as good as other recordings that FZ's done. Especially, compared to the live tapes that I've heard David on. I think Frank was still working out the bugs at UMRK when he recorded that album.

When I saw FZ in the Fall of 1980 I was pleasantly surprised to see Vinnie back in the band to say the least. Yeah, obviously I'm a Vinnie fan but my hat's off to David! He got THE GIG!!!


As somebody on this board pointed out before, Logemann's drumming sounds much better on Crush all Boxes. Of course, pretty much everything sounds better on Crush All Boxes.

_________________
Image

"Ya like horses?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: David L
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1243
Location: Nashville, Tn
pygmy stallion wrote:
gnits_wreck wrote:
Nack Blapkin wrote:
Also that's interesting that Frank wanted Vinnie back so much that he paid off Logeman to get him back in the band.


Logemann did a great job but when you compare the tapes of the Summer 1980 tour with recordings from the Fall tour with Vinnie it's obvious that Vinnie is just a much better fit for FZ's playing style. I thought David did a great job on the written tunes but he's no Vinnie when it comes to improvising. I really liked David's playing on You Are What You Is but I always felt that the drum sound wasn't as good as other recordings that FZ's done. Especially, compared to the live tapes that I've heard David on. I think Frank was still working out the bugs at UMRK when he recorded that album.

When I saw FZ in the Fall of 1980 I was pleasantly surprised to see Vinnie back in the band to say the least. Yeah, obviously I'm a Vinnie fan but my hat's off to David! He got THE GIG!!!


As somebody on this board pointed out before, Logemann's drumming sounds much better on Crush all Boxes. Of course, pretty much everything sounds better on Crush All Boxes.


Crush all Boxes and Chalk Pie should be official released for the sake of Historical completion (that, and I listen to both of these more than most the 80's albums discluding synclavier and 88 stuff.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group