Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Answer phone tapes?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:17 am 

I downloaded something the other day that blew me away.<br>It was a collection of answer phone compositions by Frank. There were 4 or 5 different ones. Some very amusing some very odd. The voice was high pitched as used in WOIIFTM. <br>I've only heard it a couple of times and I'm sure there was something else of interest which I will report on later tonight when I've had another listen. There was also a different version of Zoot Allures.<br><br>Anyone know anything about this?<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:39 pm 

Here is my info on it....................<br><br>It starts with:<br>1. Piano improvisation. Who is playing this? It ends with a Cough and then goes into a full rendition of the 'Black Page' (solo piano) that I can only describe as stunning! Then some chat and cut.<br><br>2. Answer phone ditty, early mothers era!<br>3. Answer phone ditty, based on the dangerous kitchen.<br>4. Answer phone ditty, bizarre melodies.<br>5, Answer phone ditty, spooky melody.<br>6, Answer phone ditty, interesting composition! Cut ends it.<br>7, Answer phone ditty, vocal harmony descending.<br>8, Answer phone ditty, Sounds early, WOIIFTM period.<br>9, Answer phone ditty, Vocal drums together with a metronome.<br>10, some guys talking. They say: 'why would anybody wanna do that? Just like put a metronome on and transcribe somebody talking’.............etc There is a Bass following the voices!!!<br>11, High pitch voice singing mad rhythms (must be Frank) with real drums following the improvised rhythms. Amazing!<br>12, Zoot Allures, unreleased STUDIO version, sounds very 80's like the version played on DHBIM Video).<br>And there it ends at 13.55 long.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:24 am 

Let me guess, you downloaded it from kazaa or similar? Or is there a link to it? :P<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:12 am 

these recordings have been in trade circulation for years - since the 80s i would guess<br>i would also like to learn their origin<br>they are almost certainly the work of a fan and are DEFINITELY not FZ productions<br>they are kinda interesting though, especially the long Zoot<br><br>surely there is some hardcore old-school FZ trader around here who knows who made these recordings?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:39 am 

[quote author=dr_grogg link=board=legends;num=1088716666;start=0#2 date=07/02/04 at 10:24:18]Let me guess, you downloaded it from kazaa or similar? Or is there a link to it? :P<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Similar!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:00 am 

[quote author=dopplegangerjosh link=board=legends;num=1088716666;start=0#3 date=07/02/04 at 11:12:52]these recordings have been in trade circulation for years - since the 80s i would guess<br>i would also like to learn their origin<br>they are almost certainly the work of a fan and are DEFINITELY not FZ productions<br>they are kinda interesting though, especially the long Zoot<br><br>surely there is some hardcore old-school FZ trader around here who knows who made these recordings?[/quote]<br><br>Hi Josh<br><br>I have to disagree and say that I believe these DEFINITELY are FZ productions.<br><br>There are zappa melodies in the improvised piano and it also contains the Duke of prunes chords. The Cough sounds like FZ. <br>The Answer ditty’s contain parts of original mothers recordings. The high vocal voice sounds like FZ.<br>It is fully of his harmonies, melodic tendencies, queer dissonances, ugly chords, orchestral backing etc.<br>Are you saying a very talented fan would go to the expense of hiring orchestral musicians to do this?<br><br>The vocal improvising rhythms with real drums following is seriously clever stuff. Again, this would take a seriously dedicated drummer to learn this and $$$ to pay them.<br><br>The version of Zoot Allures is the 80's version with electronic drums but done in the studio.<br><br>What I want to know is how this stuff escaped from the vault and as quite a bit of it cuts off the fully high quality versions must be there. This stuff gives great insight into FZ mucking around yet still being seriously musical.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:26 am 

[quote author=Ringo link=board=legends;num=1088716666;start=0#5 date=07/03/04 at 05:00:15]<br><br>Hi Josh<br><br>I have to disagree and say that I believe these DEFINITELY are FZ productions.<br><br>There are zappa melodies in the improvised piano and it also contains the Duke of prunes chords. The Cough sounds like FZ. What is more important is this could be FZ on piano!<br><br>The Answer ditty’s contain parts of original mothers recordings. The high vocal voice sounds like FZ.<br>It is fully of his harmonies, melodic tendencies, queer dissonances, ugly chords, orchestral backing etc.<br>Are you saying a very talented fan would go to the expense of hiring orchestral musicians to do this?<br><br>The vocal improvising rhythms with real drums following is seriously clever stuff. Again, this would take a seriously dedicated drummer to learn this and $$$ to pay them.<br><br>The version of Zoot Allures is the 80's version with electronic drums but done in the studio.<br><br>What I want to know is how this stuff escaped from the vault and as quite a bit of it cuts off the fully high quality versions must be there. This stuff gives great insight into FZ mucking around yet still being seriously musical.<br>[/quote]<br><br>many many things escaped throughout the years. as I've been a trader since the early 80's, I can say Mark Pinkse is the source of many stereo soundboard FZ mixed boots. There are also members of the band that let things loose to  collectors. And thank GOD they did. Or who knows when they would decide to release it.<br>  A good example is a 4 sided LP called CHALK PIE. If you can find it, GRAB IT!!!!!<br>  It's a collection of beautiful songs form the 81-82 era line-up. FZ/Pinske mix.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:42 am 

I take it all back!<br>I had another good listen to these recordings and I agree they are not produced by Zappa.<br><br>Last night I heard (for the first time) a song by Jim Cox called 'Frankies In Town'. I think it could be possible that Jim Cox is behind the answer phone tapes. Anyone agree?<br><br>Does Jim Cox have a website by the way?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:30 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am 

excellent