Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Crab Grass Baby?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:42 pm 

Hi! I'm a teenage Zappa fan and I have about half of his CDs. My mom just ordered "Thing Fish" for me. I've read a lot of summaries of Thing Fish but none of them mention the Crab Grass Baby. All I know about the CGB is that the voice was computerized. Now here's my question: how the Crab Grass Baby relates to the rest of the characters in the story?

Post subject: Re: The Crab Grass Baby?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:45 pm 

Vader9 wrote:
Hi! I'm a teenage Zappa fan and I have about half of his CDs. My mom just ordered "Thing Fish" for me. I've read a lot of summaries of Thing Fish but none of them mention the Crab Grass Baby. All I know about the CGB is that the voice was computerized. Now here's my question: how the Crab Grass Baby relates to the rest of the characters in the story?

Well, Harry's supposed to be his dad. And Rhonda's his mom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm 
Banned

Isaac is the CGB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:12 pm 

m.j.prince wrote:
...while trans-species sex occurs in the adult harry's intercourse with a diminutive mammy nun, it is sex on the trans-materia level that results in issue: the tele-evangelist's tryst with the plastic doll, artificial rhonda, that is to become harry-as-a-boy's concubine results in the crab-grass baby

this child is revealed as part of a lawn nativity scene with harry-as-a-boy as joseph, the inflatable artificial rhonda as mary, and the digital-voiced infant crab-grass baby as jesus; the dialogue is at times difficult to discern, but the synthesized voice of this new savior of the western world is heavily laden with satire

as son to father, the baby complains of problems with girls, his car (and asks for a volvo), and bemoans the white man's burden, again, a tonal expression is manifest in the plot: zappa has metamorphosed the soul-less pseudo-musical expression of mechanized the white zone riff from joe's garage to the soulless pseudo-biological expression of the crab-grass baby ... the computer generated white-bread blandness exhibited in this nativity does more than poke fun at yuppie sensibilities; it suggests their corrupt origins—the baby is the son of a tele-evangelist—and ultimate demise

if western society once worshipped the child, the manifestation of the crab-grass baby insures it will do so no more; with this avenue for the continuance of the species and society closed off, the adult harry's attraction for the mutants and the genuine rhonda's attraction to her briefcase and pen are but pathetic displays of misplaced procreative energy, though she claims that women can reproduce that way

btw, if your mom hasn't heard thing-fish, you might want to screen it first

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:13 pm 
Banned

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
m.j.prince wrote:
...while trans-species sex occurs in the adult harry's intercourse with a diminutive mammy nun, it is sex on the trans-materia level that results in issue: the tele-evangelist's tryst with the plastic doll, artificial rhonda, that is to become harry-as-a-boy's concubine results in the crab-grass baby

this child is revealed as part of a lawn nativity scene with harry-as-a-boy as joseph, the inflatable artificial rhonda as mary, and the digital-voiced infant crab-grass baby as jesus; the dialogue is at times difficult to discern, but the synthesized voice of this new savior of the western world is heavily laden with satire

as son to father, the baby complains of problems with girls, his car (and asks for a volvo), and bemoans the white man's burden, again, a tonal expression is manifest in the plot: zappa has metamorphosed the soul-less pseudo-musical expression of mechanized the white zone riff from joe's garage to the soulless pseudo-biological expression of the crab-grass baby ... the computer generated white-bread blandness exhibited in this nativity does more than poke fun at yuppie sensibilities; it suggests their corrupt origins—the baby is the son of a tele-evangelist—and ultimate demise

if western society once worshipped the child, the manifestation of the crab-grass baby insures it will do so no more; with this avenue for the continuance of the species and society closed off, the adult harry's attraction for the mutants and the genuine rhonda's attraction to her briefcase and pen are but pathetic displays of misplaced procreative energy, though she claims that women can reproduce that way

btw, if your mom hasn't heard thing-fish, you might want to screen it first

Yep. Its Isaac alright.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:16 pm 

Thanks! One more question how does The Evil Prince become mammified?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:30 pm 

oh god... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:52 pm 

Vader9 wrote:
... mammified?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:01 pm 
Banned

1. Mammy nun

Humanoid creature with dark skin, swollen potato-shaped head, duck bill, and medieval religimous costumery growing out their body. Mammy nuns are more or less undestructible.

The Mammy Nuns were created by feeding mashed potatoes contaminated with synthetic mutagens to San Quentin prison inmates.

Coined by Frank Zappa in the early eighties for his bizarre rock opera, "Thing-Fish".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:05 pm 
Banned

Step right up, folks, 'n meet de 'mammy nuns'! you two ugly white folks hafta excuse de sisters, as what dey put in de mash potatoes have rendered dem incontinent! anyhow, ovuh heahhhh, de scint
Ing sister owl-gonkwin-jane cow-hoon, and de delectable sister ghenghis-adonis-osmosis... 'long wif sister potato-head bobby brown, and de ever-popular sister anne de devine ...an' howsabouta he
Armin' welcome fo' sister jasmine noxema-tapioca an' her unscrutable companium, sister ob'dewlla 'x'...an' i's yo host: de thing-fish!

I crack up every time I hear or read that shit!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 pm 

"buy me a volvo, faaather."

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: The Crab Grass Baby?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:51 am 

Why waste time analyzing a character from a play within a play - the CGB is, after all, an imaginary robot/puppet replica of another imaginary character. In other words - it's supposed to be ridiculous!

Wasn't there someone on this board once getting their knickers in a twist about the "child abuse" of Sister Odewlla X fucking the Crab Grass Baby? Such concern and anxiety for a couple of non-human fictional characters. (rolls eyes) Oh, what larks!