Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm 

The Big Note. What is it? Who is it? Where is it? When is it? Why is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:20 pm 

According to FeralCats (theory to which I subscribe):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:51 pm 

Found this one:

On March 26, 1974, R & L Farms executed a promissory note to Agristor Credit Corporation in the amount of $438,600.00 (known as "the big note").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 pm 

Secrets behind the Beatles Big Note at the end of "A Day In Life":

Following the final orchestral crescendo, the song ends with one of the most famous final chords in music history. Lennon, McCartney, Starr, Martin, and Evans simultaneously play an E-major chord on three different pianos. The sound of the final chord was manipulated to ring out for as long as possible, which turned out to be nearly a minute, by increasing the sound level to the tape as the vibration faded out. Near the end of the chord the recording levels were turned so high that listeners can hear the sounds of the studio, including rustling papers and a squeaking chair.

The piano chord was a replacement for a failed vocal experiment. On the evening following the orchestra recording session, the four Beatles had originally recorded an ending of their voices humming the chord. Even after multiple overdubs, however, they found that they wanted something with more impact. (I'd love to hear that outake. But wait, there's more...)

Immediately following the dying moments of the crashing piano chord is an high-pitched tone, too high-pitched for most human ears to hear but audible to dogs and other animals and most younger listeners. Lennon's alleged intention in inserting the high tone was to irritate the listener's dog. The tone was only inserted on the first 5000 copies of the LP (save for the American Capitol Records pressing), but is now available on all copies of the CD.

The crashing piano chord and 15 kHz tone are interrupted by a loop of incomprehensible Beatles studio background noise, spliced together apparently at random sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:41 pm 

is it a secret ?

side 2 of Lumpy Gravy opens ..

Spider: Everything in the universe is . . . is . . . is made of one element, which is a note, a single note. Atoms are really vibrations, you know, which are extensions of THE BIG NOTE, everything's one note. Everything, even the ponies. The note, however, is the ultimate power, but see, the pigs don't know that, the ponies don't know that. Right?
Monica: You mean just we know that?
Spider: Right

.. and then on Civ 3

Spider: We are . . . actually the same note, but . . .
John: But different octave
Spider: Right. We are 4,928 octaves below the big note
Girl #3: Are ya . . . are you trying to tell me that . . . that this whole universe revolves around one note?
Spider: No, it doesn't revolve around it; that's what it is. It's one note ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 am 

stride wrote:
is it a secret ?

it is a secret. and it contains a lot of secrets.
we poor humans are not able to listen to the whole BIG NOTE,
only parts of it, small parts, very small parts, very very very small parts.
so there is a lot to discover. Those things I call secrets. Other people call them "Jason", "Density", "Taxi", "Lovesong", "4928" ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:52 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:13 am 
Banned

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"We can't let it reproduce!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:59 am 

As I understand it...

'The Big Note' theory is that if everything that exists in the universe is actually just tiny little vibrations of particles then if we could somehow measure all the litte vibrations and turn it into a frequency it would be one very dense sound or note. Because after all, sound is just vibration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:50 am 

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/09sep_blackholesounds.htm

Sound waves 57 octaves lower than middle-C are rumbling away from a supermassive black hole in the Perseus cluster.

Sept. 9, 2003: Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found, for the first time, sound waves from a supermassive black hole. The "note" is the deepest ever detected from any object in our Universe. The tremendous amounts of energy carried by these sound waves may solve a longstanding problem in astrophysics.

The black hole resides in the Perseus cluster of galaxies located 250 million light years from Earth. In 2002, astronomers obtained a deep Chandra observation that shows ripples in the gas filling the cluster. These ripples are evidence for sound waves that have traveled hundreds of thousands of light years away from the cluster's central black hole.

Earlier observations had revealed the prodigious amounts of light and heat created by black holes. "Now we have detected their sound, too," says Andrew Fabian of the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge, England, and the leader of the study.

In musical terms, the pitch of the sound generated by the black hole translates into the note of B flat. But, a human would have no chance of hearing this cosmic performance because the note is 57 octaves lower than middle-C. For comparison, a typical piano contains only about seven octaves. At a frequency over a million billion times deeper than the limits of human hearing, this is the deepest note ever detected from an object in the Universe.

"The Perseus sound waves are much more than just an interesting form of black hole acoustics," says Steve Allen, also of the Institute of Astronomy and a co-investigator in the research. "These sound waves may be the key in figuring out how galaxy clusters, the largest structures in the Universe, grow."

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 pm 

gimme half in bullion, half in bars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm 

The brown note is an infrasound frequency that causes humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance.

Frank would have loved this note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 pm 

This might appear to be "off-topic" but it's really not considering we're dealing with numbers and numeric values in this thread.

Question: Has anyone ever found a correlation between the number "1348" imprinted on the skull on the back of the Uncle Meat album and anything else? Or am I one of a remaining few who do not know what that refers to?

(Maybe I just cut class the day that was covered? :wink: )

--Bat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:41 pm 

Yes, No, Maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Has anyone ever found a correlation between the number "1348" imprinted on the skull on the back of the Uncle Meat album and anything else? Or am I one of a remaining few who do not know what that refers to?

--Bat

Arf wrote:
As Ben Watson noted in "Poodle Play", it is the year of the [beginning] of the Black Plague. However, that was coincidental: Actually it is a catalog number. The skull was from an old dental text- one of many, selected more or less at random.

And Calvin clarification number 2

This coincidence [?!] I noticed myself some time after completing the cover, I was surprised when Watson mentioned it in his book. The Plague, of course, lasted for quite some time, but 1348 has some special significance that I can't recall right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 am 

polydigm wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:
Has anyone ever found a correlation between the number "1348" imprinted on the skull on the back of the Uncle Meat album and anything else? Or am I one of a remaining few who do not know what that refers to?

--Bat

Arf wrote:
As Ben Watson noted in "Poodle Play", it is the year of the [beginning] of the Black Plague. However, that was coincidental: Actually it is a catalog number. The skull was from an old dental text- one of many, selected more or less at random.

And Calvin clarification number 2

This coincidence [?!] I noticed myself some time after completing the cover, I was surprised when Watson mentioned it in his book. The Plague, of course, lasted for quite some time, but 1348 has some special significance that I can't recall right now.
Aha! Thanks, poly! That one's puzzled me for years. (And I know just who to look further into that who manages to locate some very arcane pieces of information and often finds very extensive sources of very obscure areas of knowledge -- the only trick to tapping into him is to know when he won't explode into a sudden and intense rage of, "Who cares??? I don't give a fuck!" He's unpredictably volatile.)

--Bat :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 pm 

Back to 432Hz

Sound and music consist of vibrations, the more vibrations per second, the higher the pitch. The unit for this is the Hertz, abbreviated Hz.

432 Hz is the natural "keynote" in the universe, as opposed to 440 Hz, which is the standard in the music nowadays in, for example, music albums and mp3 files.

In 1939 Germany determined 440 Hz as the keynote in the music. The Englishmen wanted this worldwide, but they didn't succeed for then.

But in 1953 at a congres of musicians in London, 440 Hz still became the international ISO 16-standard. Many protests of (among others) French musicians, who wanted 432 Hz as the standard, didn't help unfortunately.

Most musical instruments are also adjusted at 440 Hz nowadays, that wasn't earlier always the fact. If you find musical instruments from much earlier times, and nowadays in still distant areas on Earth, these instruments are mostly adjusted at 432 Hz.

What are the advantages of 432 Hz above 440 Hz? 432 Hz is, in according to many music lovers, nicer for hearing, is softer, brighter and more beautiful than 440 Hz.

Because 432 Hz gives a greater clarity than 440 Hz, there's less need to play music in 432 Hz as loud as in 440 Hz. This means less hearing damage, as long as you put the volume not too high. It's known that, for example, 90 dB gives hearing damage after 8 hours.

432 Hz is likely more favourable for the chakras too. 440 Hz seems to work at the third eye chakra, "the thinking", while 432 Hz seems to work at the heart chakra, "the feeling". Listening to music in 432 Hz therefore could have a good influence at the spiritual development of the music lover.

The committee 'Back to 432 Hz' wants, because of these reasons, a worldwide introduction of 432 Hz as the keynote in the music, like it seems most in days gone by too.

The committee thinks it's important that at first so many people as possible get acquainted with the difference of 8 Hz. If many people know this and also believe the qualities of 432 Hz, it's to be hoped that the music industry will change the standard finally.

All musical instruments can be adjusted at 432 Hz too, although it's not so easy for every instrument.

The Dutch journalist and music lover Richard Huisken is the initiator of this committee, founded in April 2008.

432 Hz frequency of the UNIVERSE

The cycles of the Mayan calender

Tun = 18 unial = 360 days

Katun= 20 tun = 7,200 days

Baktun = 20 katun = 144,000 days

The great eras in the Indian culture:

Kali yuga = 432.000 years

Satyug = 1.728.000 years

Treta = 1.296.000 years

Dwapar = 864.000 years

http://the-universal-mind.blogspot.com/2008/11/back-to-432-hz.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 am 

In a tiny interview with WABX in 1973 by Mark Parenteau, Frank talks about what the Big Note is. And he talks about being recognized.
It can be downloaded from:
http://www.studiowner.com/ if you sign up.

MP: Somebody asked me... our engineer here is a Frank Zappa fan, if you will... has asked me to ask you about the Big Note.
FZ: What about it?
MP: Well, all about it.
FZ: Well, theoretically folks, when you study in school about what everything is supposed to be made of, you know they say... well... this is made out of a combination of these elements here, and then you say "What's an element?" Then they say: "Well an element is one of those things that's... you know... a distinct substance, and then what's the substance made of, it's made out of molecules and atoms.
What they're talking about is like little dots and stuff, you know, that are all collected together into tighter and tighter packed little units, and then those little collections of dots are built up into big things to make Reality As We Know And Love It Today.
But my theory is that nothing is really made out of those dots, the dots themselves are constructed simply of a fluctuation between positive and negative, or a wave.
Just as you look at a wave on an oscilloscope you see a fluctuation between the upper peek and the lower peek, we hear it in the distance right now, it's one of the harmonics of the Big Note.
Now, to me, I think of things in terms of music, so it's obvious that my own personal perversions and paranoias would be built up from a harmonic basis, but if you can think of a note or a wave, the period of which is so long that you can't wait for it to (crest?) and go back down. And then consider that wave transposed into various octaves, suddenly becomes a series of solid objects. Crazy, isn't it folks? But that's the way I look at it.

MP: What do people say when they run into you at an airport, you're probably one of the most recognizable faces.
FZ: Well I think that the number of times that I'm being recognized these days is probably due to the fact that my hair is getting good in the back, and it's starting to get to be about the same length as it was at the time the toilet poster picture was taken.
MP: Oh, the famous toilet poster picture...
FZ: So I think I'm getting recognized more because my hair is growing out, but usually people walk up and say (little voice) "Hey, are you Frank Zappa?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:42 am 

Australian Slang dictionary (http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html) says

Big-note oneself : brag, boast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 am 

We are 4,928 octaves below the big note...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

"below" in which context? pitch? loudness? timbre? density? position in space?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:28 pm 

DoktorFaustroll wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

"below" in which context? pitch? loudness? timbre? density? position in space?

If u divide some frequency by 2, u decrease it exactly the step of 1 octave, u are 1 octave below then. So u simply have to double WE ARE 4.928 times to get the big note:
Mark: ... Does that help?
FZ: Not Much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm 

Here is how too get the Big Note :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsKdI-bUttA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 am 

Mine's pretty big, but I doubt you'd wanna see it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 pm 

Frank Zappa wrote:
... if you can think of a note or a wave, the period of which is so long that you can't wait for it to (crest?) and go back down. And then consider that wave transposed into various octaves, suddenly becomes a series of solid objects. Crazy, isn't it folks? But that's the way I look at it.

What Frank is describing here is a note that has a very low frequency ("the period of which is so long that you can't wait for it to crest and go back down"), that's below everything, like a root frequency in music, with everything else above being higher frequencies and harmonics of the root. Makes much more sense to me that way around. The big note is the lowest frequency, not the highest.

Not that I believe I'm describing anything real here, just interpreting what I think it is Frank is trying to say.

Last edited by polydigm on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.