Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 pm 

ImageImage
Christopher Lee and Alice Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:00 pm 

Christopher Lee:
Edgar Winter:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:50 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 am 

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:23 am 

keefycubagain wrote:
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Exactly what is the last one supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:33 am 

ImageImage

LMAO!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:54 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

What duzzit mean? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:33 pm 

keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm asking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:37 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm asking.

Hmmm, a Zappa gag that actually went over the head of a Zappa fan. Wow. Check Hallowe'en 72 (Passaic).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:54 am 

Dalai Lama and Hunter S. Thompson

Colargol and the Norwegian religious fanatic Vebjorn Selbekk

The Danish scientist August Krogh and me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:14 am 

keefycubagain wrote:
Hmmm, a Zappa gag that actually went over the head of a Zappa fan. Wow. Check Hallowe'en 72 (Passaic).

Has that ever been released officially? I don't collect boots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:23 am 

That's insulting to Colargol.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:05 am 

BBP wrote:
That's insulting to Colargol.

I apologize.

(But there is a slight resemblance... And when you're separated by birth, you have no guarantee that your brother or sister won't grow up to be stupid and/or ugly.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:22 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:

You would know better than me because you're the trainspotter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:43 pm 

keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:

You would know better than me because you're the trainspotter.

Can someone with an actual brain tell me what this person is talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:57 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Well, since you're having a lot of trouble putting your brain in gear: I ain't fucking explaining the punchline to you. It would ruin the gag to analyse it. If you don't get it, you just don't get it. You'll live even though you appear to think you won't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:41 pm 

keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Well, since you're having a lot of trouble putting your brain in gear: I ain't fucking explaining the punchline to you. It would ruin the gag to analyse it. If you don't get it, you just don't get it. You'll live even though you appear to think you won't.

How am I supposed to get something I've never heard and don't know the context?

But oh well, one more douche to ignore. I really thought I asked nicely too. At least you'll have your snobbery to revel in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:08 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:
ImageImage

Bruce Sprungsteen was supposed to open for the Mothers, on Halloween 1972, but the booking agent accidently booked a pizza instead.
The pizza turned out to be more entertaing than Sprungsteen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:18 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:
ImageImage

Bruce Sprungsteen was supposed to open for the Mothers, on Halloween 1972, but the booking agent accidently booked a pizza instead.
The pizza turned out to be more entertaing than Sprungsteen.

I had never heard that. Now I see how stupid I was! It's just so evident.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:25 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

But oh well, one more douche to ignore. I really thought I asked nicely too. At least you'll have your snobbery to revel in.

If I hadn't gotten the joke I would have let it go. If you don't know the context you make up your own -- if you *must* analyse it it's an open ended joke. The punchline is that you make up your own punchline (note that's not an explanation), in case you can't quite figure that out. But you're *way too serious* for that aren't you? If I'm a snobby douche for reacting badly with you obviously trying to ruin my gag, I'll be ALL TOO HAPPY to be a snobby douche especially to you. I don't belong in your world do I? Pfft.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:33 pm 

keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

If I hadn't gotten the joke I would have let it go. If you don't know the context you make up your own -- if you *must* analyse it it's an open ended joke. The punchline is that you make up your own punchline (note that's not an explanation), in case you can't quite figure that out. But you're *way too serious* for that aren't you? If I'm a snobby douche for reacting badly with you obviously trying to ruin my gag, I'll be ALL TOO HAPPY to be a snobby douche especially to you. I don't belong in your world do I? Pfft.

No, that's not it at all. You could have answered right away, I would have found it amusing, and it would have ended there. But you couldn't do that. You had to be a dick about it. "Hey here's a joke....Led Zeppelin and a telephone....there's a actually a joke there, but hey, if you can't make up your own conclusion as to what it might have been, you're obviously brainless".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:11 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

No, that's not it at all. You could have answered right away, I would have found it amusing, and it would have ended there. But you couldn't do that. You had to be a dick about it. "Hey here's a joke....Led Zeppelin and a telephone....there's a actually a joke there, but hey, if you can't make up your own conclusion as to what it might have been, you're obviously brainless".

Well the punchline Doug supplied was a good one. It's not that far away from my own personal punchline.

The Led Zeppelin gag like that is Led Zeppelin and a car door. I *will* give you my personal punchline to that -- the door slams on Plant's hand and off he goes with that wailing that I'm so bloody sick of. (Doesn't work so well in prose does it?) That's a very good example of why it would kill the gag if I gave my punchline away or explained it.

Now if your brain isn't working to supply your own punchlines when you're confronted with an open-ended gag, perhaps you're too passive in your entertainment and expect everything to be spelt out for you like television or Hollywood movies, and never get the opportunity. This would explain to me why you went into apoplexy over that gag. <snort>

Perhaps I'm a dick about it but if you're going to overanalyse a visceral type of humour rather than reacting to it in the moment, then like I said I'm all too happy to be a dick. Besides, dick is good. Mine keeps me happy.

This exchange, however, is an example of a completely different type of humour and I'm laughing myself silly. (ref. Titties & Beer)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:06 am 

AND

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:22 pm 

keefycubagain wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
How am I supposed to get something I've never heard and don't know the context? But oh well, one more douche to ignore. I really thought I asked nicely too. At least you'll have your snobbery to revel in.

I think you're missing the point completely. One of the things a lot of the people have found cool about this forum is learning things about Zappa or related subjects that they didn't know before. So, there could have been some interesting anecdote behind your juxtaposition of Bruce Springsteen and a Pizza, so why not share it? That's one of the things I've enjoyed about this forum, the sharing aspect. And how has he ruined your gag by asking you to explain it? Anybody who got it straight away wouldn't be put off by anyone else asking about it. I just don't get what's gotten you all wound up about this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I think you're missing the point completely. One of the things a lot of the people have found cool about this forum is learning things about Zappa or related subjects that they didn't know before. So, there could have been some interesting anecdote behind your juxtaposition of Bruce Springsteen and a Pizza, so why not share it? That's one of the things I've enjoyed about this forum, the sharing aspect. And how has he ruined your gag by asking you to explain it? Anybody who got it straight away wouldn't be put off by anyone else asking about it. I just don't get what's gotten you all wound up about this.

All jokes are ruined if they have to be explained. When you watch a movie and a gag goes by that you don't get, you don't turn to your friend and ask for an explanation. If you do, he's not going to be watching many more comedies with you. You let it go. You just simply didn't get the gag -- and you wait for the next one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next