Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 1321
Location: Croatia, Europe
BF: What was the most important thing you learned from your time with Frank Zappa?

AB: He taught me how to be a professional touring musician and recording artist. Here’s this master who’s taken me under his wing and said “You’re going to be a recording artist, and you’re going to tour around the world. Let me show you how to do that.” He showed me the nuts and bolts of the business, how to master a record properly, how to travel properly and how to run a business. Those parts, to me, are actually more important than the musical parts of what I learned in all that one year’s tutorship from him. Although the music was very interesting and challenging, I always remember that Frank showed me the ropes. Before this, I was playing in little clubs and making no money and had no future. I was starving and three months behind in my rent. I certainly needed that kind of knowledge.

http://www.dprp.net/wp/interviews/?page_id=4858

:smoke:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
And then what? Zappa was taking time off to edit Baby Snakes and he didn't want to wait around? Bowie offered more money? I would starve with Zappa before I'd leave him for Bowie. Simply because of the music. Plus the fact that Zappa plucked him out of obscurity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
downer mydnyte wrote:
Bowie offered more money?

Yeah though a bets a bet :wink:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
downer mydnyte wrote:
And then what? Zappa was taking time off to edit Baby Snakes and he didn't want to wait around? Bowie offered more money? I would starve with Zappa before I'd leave him for Bowie. Simply because of the music. Plus the fact that Zappa plucked him out of obscurity.

Zappa plucked a lot of people out of obscurity. You can't begrudge a working musician because he chooses to take a higher paying gig. Hell, Warren Cucurullo was a huge Zappaphile but he stuck around no longer than Adrian.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
KUIII wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
And then what? Zappa was taking time off to edit Baby Snakes and he didn't want to wait around? Bowie offered more money? I would starve with Zappa before I'd leave him for Bowie. Simply because of the music. Plus the fact that Zappa plucked him out of obscurity.

Zappa plucked a lot of people out of obscurity. You can't begrudge a working musician because he chooses to take a higher paying gig. Hell, Warren Cucurullo was a huge Zappaphile but he stuck around no longer than Adrian.


Begrudge? You're imagining things.

I simply can't conceive of leaving Zappa for D Bowie. But I like music even more than I like money. Leaving Bowie for King Crimson, however, makes good musical sense. Although I have no idea if he "left" Bowie or if Bowie moved on. Oh well. It's not as if Belew wants his guitar to sound like a guitar most of the time, anyway. King Crimson made the most sense. Think I'll put on Twang Bar King now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
Liking music more than we like money is a great luxury we have as fans. I get where you're coming from though. One of my favorite bands is The Tubes. Kind of a minor band in most people's opinion but I dig them. Their drummer, Prairie Prince, was a founding member of Journey. He would have made a lot more money if he stuck with Journey but I respect his artistic decision to go with the Tubes. He's literally a great visual artist btw having a dual career as graphic artist, muralist, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
KUIII wrote:
Liking music more than we like money is a great luxury we have as fans.

Luxury? I see it differently. But I get your point. And I would hope Prairie Prince was happier not being in Journey. Journey sucks beyond belief.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1245
Location: Nashville, Tn
He didn't leave for more money. Frank and Bowie's first meeting on the matter notoriously went poorly but Adrian saw a gap in Frank schedule since he was editing Baby Snakes and Bowie had a tour that would end around that time. After discussing it, Frank was cool with Adrian going to Bowie's band. Baby Snakes editing ran longer than planned as did Bowie's tour, and after that point working out the schedules was impossible and Adrian had a career far beyond being someone's sideman by then.

Source: Adrian Belews blog somewhere.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 507
Remember this too, Frank never endorsed anyone to have a career in music and that we should all get a real job instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
downer mydnyte wrote:
And then what? Zappa was taking time off to edit Baby Snakes and he didn't want to wait around? Bowie offered more money? I would starve with Zappa before I'd leave him for Bowie. Simply because of the music. Plus the fact that Zappa plucked him out of obscurity.

I would guess that like me you aren't 't a professional musician. So if you want to criticize Adrian Belew for leaving Frank's employ then add Lowell George, Aynsley Dunbar, George Duke, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio, Patrick O'Hearn, Vinnie Coliuta, Warren Cucurullo, Steve vai, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
KUIII wrote:
I would guess that like me you aren't 't a professional musician. So if you want to criticize Adrian Belew for leaving Frank's employ then add Lowell George, Aynsley Dunbar, George Duke, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio, Patrick O'Hearn, Vinnie Coliuta, Warren Cucurullo, Steve vai, etc.


Dude, what the hell are you talking about? It's pretty clear I am not, nor would I, criticize Adrian Belew. I already told you I don't begrudge. I love the guy.

Zappa told Bozzio to leave and encouraged him. I doubt Zappa was bitter about Belew. Maybe for 2 seconds but probably not. I don't speculate about shit like that.

I simply can't conceive of leaving Zappa for David Bowie. That was my whole point. Everything else I added was in response to your response to my initial post. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
Zappa, Bowie, Bieber. It doesn't matter. I wish it did but it doesn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
^ I have no idea what that means but I hope I cleared up the Adrian Belew misunderstanding.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
In my youth I had this misspent idea that artists had an ideal that they would pursue based on their artistic sensibilities. Given that , I have been somewhat dissapointed to learn that Bobby Martin is Bette Midler's musical director and Warren Cucurullo joins Duran Duran. As an adult I understand these decisions 100% but my teenage idealism still influences me. I know that makes me an idiot but wtf.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
I get it. You're an adult. So any truth in music is just silly and music is strictly a way to get some money. And money is a valid excuse to participate in the dumbing down of our already demented culture.
I understand. Music is a business. Performed by businessmen. Yuppies like their music performed by yuppies. It's reaffirming. Punks like punks. Lesbian's like lesbians. There's a reason certain musicians are in Duran Duran and others are in, say, Black Camaro. Well... thankfully, not all music is made with business considerations. You act as if some of these "professional" musicians can't drive cabs or do something useful. Fuck 'em.




None of this has anything to do with my feelings on Adrian Belew leaving Zappa, btw.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Posts: 1245
Location: Nashville, Tn
Zappa Bowie Bieber no difference... I get what you are saying about your employer. But Adrian is one of few artist to have a career full of integrity. Bowie might be pop but if you can't find anything to enjoy there then I'm baffled.(listen to Lodger, Red, etc... so many great albums with great music). Going from Zappa to Bowie to the Talking Heads, to producing the Tom Tom Club to King Crimson and working with NIN is nothing to laugh at. And a far cry from joining a typical "pop" ensemble or following a paycheck.

Also a lot of work goes into a Bette Midler tour, she has a huge ensemble... Might be crazy but I bet he (Bobby Martin) had fun on those tours arranging for all those instruments and running rehearsals.

Duran Duran, not my cup of tea. I did note Joe Travers used to be their drummer. Anyone know if that led to meeting WC and then the Zappa's or the Zappa's then WC then Duran Duran?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 2208
Warren was in Duran Duran from about 1989-2001 (give or take). Travers was in Duran Duran for a tour in 1998 from what I can ascertain, likely from a recommendation from Warren.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 442
Location: Centerville, Norway
Ok, where was Bowie in 1978... He had just released Station to Station, Low and Heroes. He was working with Brian Eno and Iggy Pop and namedropped by Kraftwerk on Trans-Europe Express. He would go on to record Lodger and Scary Monsters. Adrian joined the Stage tour, at the summit of one of the greatest careers in rock, with Bowie at the height of his musical powers. Not the worst move I could think of.

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
Grimpoteuthis wrote:
Zappa Bowie Bieber no difference... I get what you are saying about your employer.
KUIII wrote:
Zappa, Bowie, Bieber. It doesn't matter.

How can you say that there is no difference between working for Zappa and working for Justin Bieber? I get that you're not professional musicians but this is quite a ridiculous notion.

What you present to an audience night after night with Zappa is hugely different than what you present to an audience every night playing with JB. You seem to be implying that a paycheck is a paycheck and the work you do is of no relevance. It's not as if these men don't have a choice. If a musical "artist" offers you, say, 30,000 a year to play with him, and some pop "product" like Bieber offers 100,000, it's still a choice. If you go for the money over the quality of the work that just means you are in it for the money more than the music. Fine, but you are now a businessman not an artist. Great! You can spoil your family and live a life of luxury. Enjoy! But your music is going to take a backseat to the cash flow so don't expect me to listen to it. The world needs sincerity in it's art. I don't think we need anymore hacks who are simply trying to get themselves into a mansion so they can enjoy the yuppie lifestyle..

DC Boogie wrote:
(Bowie) had just released Station to Station, Low and Heroes. He was working with Brian Eno and Iggy Pop and namedropped by Kraftwerk on Trans-Europe Express.

And Frank Zappa was about to unleash Sheik and Joe's Garage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 1693
Location: Huntingdon, TN
downer mydnyte wrote:
Bowie was a trend follower. Zappa blazed his own trail. Where would Bowie be without Lou Reed, Iggy and the NY Dolls? Zappa would still be more or less the same.


I couldn't agree more. I'm not trying to start an argument over Bowie's importance in the history of music, but I do agree with this comment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 1693
Location: Huntingdon, TN
Sorry. Didn't realize you edited your comment. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
Well, thanks for agreeing but I actually edited that part out because I don't want this discussion to be about the merits of David Bowie's music. My real point is what I said in response to Grim and KUIII. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 442
Location: Centerville, Norway
@ downer mydnyte & Philostopher

The comments about David Bowie in this thread are beyond stupid. Have you ever listened to Low or Heroes? What trend was he following when he released those in 1977? Way more important and influential albums than Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage, as much as I enjoy them. And the comment about what Bowie'd be without Iggy and Lou is about as insightful and redundant as a question about what Zappa would be without Stravinsky and Varese. Where would poor old Lou have been in the Seventies without Bowie's support and production of Transformer? Please, do yourself a favour and listen Station to Station, Low and Heroes in one concentrated sitting before you reply. Your fluffy ideas about Bowie might gain some weight in the process. And while you're at it, why not check out Stage as well - to hear how Adrian Belew did his thing and thrived in Bowie's 1978 band.

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 1693
Location: Huntingdon, TN
Philostopher wrote:
I'm not trying to start an argument over Bowie's importance in the history of music.


Way to bypass this portion of my comment, and good job assuming I've never listened to the music I'm commenting on. The world's not coming to an end because we disagree about a small segment of Bowie's output. You want me to be honest. Those are not my favorite, or least favorite albums that Bowie ever recorded. If you want further elaboration, we can. But, I doubt it will solve anything. :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:41 am
Posts: 442
Location: Centerville, Norway
Philostopher wrote:
The world's not coming to an end because we disagree about a small segment of Bowie's output.

True!

8)

Did I mention Adrian Belew is outstanding on Stage, as well as Lodger?

:mrgreen:

_________________
If I'm not alone... How long have I been asleep?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group