The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: the beatles?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
It wasn't directed at you.

I didn't think it was.
your post just gave me an opportunity to clarify my previous statement.
is that clear enough? is my message getting through? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:23 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
It wasn't directed at you.

I didn't think it was.
your post just gave me an opportunity to clarify my previous statement.
is that clear enough? is my message getting through? :wink:

What?

Can you dumb that down a bit?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:40 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
What?
Can you dumb that down a bit?
no, I don't think so.
but, I can get this thread back on topic:

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
what a bunch of bullshit negative posts about the beatles.

the beatles were great. and you all know it. 8)

anyway, zappa said this:
Quote:
paul zollo: 'if you had to name a few songs written by other people that you consider to be great, what would they be?
zappa: "I liked 'subterranean homesick blues' by bob dylan, I liked 'paperback writer' by the beatles and 'I am the walrus.' and no one may not underestimate the impact of 'louie louie,' the original richard berry version."

link

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:58 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
As a person that, within the last five years, has bought CD reissues of almost every Beatles album, and subsequently has had to sell them for food, I can attest to the validity of The Beatles.

Were they pop? Yes, mostly...but their songs managed to be cool without being silly. The arrangments and recording values were excellent. Were they part of a counter-culture that was co-opted by capitalist and sold back to the rebels? Most assurredly.

The White Album...bestest Beatles.

Another good band is Steppenwolf.

Yep. I seriously can't identify with someone who doesn't appreciate a well-crafted pop song. Whenever I hear someone trash the Beatles, I always feel like I'm listening to someone trying way too hard to convince me that he has the most sophisticated taste in the world. Whatever. Zappa and Stravinsky sit proudly with The Beatles and even The Monkees in my house.

Agreed on the White Album too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:07 pm 

may 1963: the beatles went into the studio to record 'I want to hold your hand.'

four years and four months later:

september 1967: the beatles went into the studio to record 'I am the walrus.'

creative? progressive? no?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:04 am 

The Beatles blue cassette (1967-1970) was my education in pop music, and it's one of the reasons why I like experimental rock more than straight songs, and a preparation for Zappa.

More on topic, I believe Frank once said that Abbey Road has the best album production ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:47 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
what a bunch of bullshit negative posts about the beatles.

the beatles were great. and you all know it. 8)

anyway, zappa said this:
Quote:
paul zollo: 'if you had to name a few songs written by other people that you consider to be great, what would they be?
zappa: "I liked 'subterranean homesick blues' by bob dylan, I liked 'paperback writer' by the beatles and 'I am the walrus.' and no one may not underestimate the impact of 'louie louie,' the original richard berry version."

link

pbuzby has all ready said in this thread what songs zappa said he liked :roll: ]
Also i posted a fact Not Bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
The Beatles blue cassette (1967-1970) was my education in pop music, and it's one of the reasons why I like experimental rock more than straight songs, and a preparation for Zappa.

More on topic, I believe Frank once said that Abbey Road has the best album production ever.

Funny because that sounds absolutely nothing like FZ. Even if he had an album in mind that he thought had the best production, ever, I still can't imagine him sitting there and admitting it in an interview.....

Not a personal dig Clothes, just an opinion on FZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:42 am 

FWIW, in the only comment I found he praises the mastering and engineering but not the production or music:

http://www.afka.net/articles/1975-06_Let_It_Rock.htm

Quote:
4. The American issue of Abbey Road – which has nothing to do with the material on the album but because I think it's probably the best mastered, best engineered rock'n'roll record I've heard ... except that I take exception to the choice of stereo placement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am 

In one interview FZ said along the lines,good studio but we can't spent as much time there recording as the beatles.he gives the name of the studio an the time The mothers spent there :|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
This is true to a point. If it was not for George Martin, The Beatles would not have lasted as long as they did. Or been as successful.
The Beatles had George Martin, Michael Jackson had Quincy Jones and Frank Zappa had Paul Buff - he built the 5 track machine! Maybe the Beatles had tons of luck, OK. But don't forget: FZ also was not too far away from ending as a composer, who never heard his own music in his own life! If they hadn't played more trouble every day, while Tom Wilson was stepping in... Who knows? Don't think it is necessary to speak bad about the Beatles to bring Zappa in a brighter light. They simply hit the right nerve at the right time AND had a lot of luck, otherwise it wouldn't had happened. But u can say the same about Zappa.
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Frank mutated three Beatles songs (Norwegian Wood, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, and Strawberry Fields Forever) ...But no recording of the medley was ever released commercially, so the only record we have of it is on bootlegs.
I ve read somewhere, he wanted to release, but it was too difficult due to copyright reasons.
I also remember an interesting thought: Zappa played this, cause the reason for the Beatles, to leave the stage, was the impossibility to play their later stuff life (as they said). Zappa simply demonstrated: One can play walrus on stage. I don't think, he wanted to attack the Beatles especially, he simply offended a lot of this "really good pieces" that accidentally became legendary, while other stuff didn't (stairway, bolero...).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 pm 

FZ said that he had edited a version of the Beatles medley from '88, but couldn't release it because Michael Jackson owned the rights and FZ had made fun of him in the song "Why Don't You Like Me." I don't know whether he approached MJ and got turned down for this reason, or just didn't think it was worth trying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 am 

Jackson only owned the old Northern Songs not the Apple Released Records.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:49 pm 

cleon wrote:
Jackson only owned the old Northern Songs not the Apple Released Records.
:?

:arrow: .the rights stuff, :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:56 pm 

Time sold around the time of cd's came buy time 1995 jackson sold half it says with sony,then left them back too the beatles in his will:D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:51 am 

cleon wrote:
Time sold around the time of cd's came buy time 1995 jackson sold half it says with sony,then left them back too the beatles in his will:D
I guess what you're trying to say is that, in 1995, jackson made a deal with sony to merge atv with sony, which left jackson with half of the publishing rights. and, in 2006, jackson gave sony an option to buy half of his 50 percent stake in sony/ATV, allowing the singer to refinance $300 million of loans.

that deal really didn't have anything to do with apple records, which you implied in your previous post.

sony/atv remains the owner of the publishing rights.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 am 

The songs in that 88 Zappa medley were from the pre-Apple Records era anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:43 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Who argues musical taste? There's lots of bands that I like that other people don't, and vice-versa. It absolutely doesn't matter whether the artists are dumb as shit or geniuses.

Right Calvin, and I have never found it to be illuminating to put down other artists. I can usually tell when an artist is committed to doing the best he or she can and has something to say...and then there's all that stuff that is dictated nowadays by how good the Auto-Tune manipulated that day.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 am 

CaullyFlowerHead wrote:
I remember an interview were frank said inept chick rock trio the shaggs (!) were better than the beatles

Oh, man! Love that shaggs album! He DID say they were better than The Beatles! In what way, i don't know. I don't even know why he liked it, but man, the song "My Pal Foot-Foot" ROCKS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 am 

They are bigger than Cheesus, lol

Diskworld's Soul Music, in effect a history of Rock & Roll! When the train is on track, the world is taking to that powerful expression of wild nature, you will see what it really means to be most famous, moving people along with you. - Sold my box-set Beatles to a sister with some wins. (got it new from the shop only paying netto price, ...she still owes me the 1oo credits for Live in Leeds) Ey, what the heck is the praise over Abbey Road about? Their works from the psychedelic period is quite superb, also the earlier mood music. ..eh, well, for kindergartens maybe. --Glod Glodson, ha-HAh

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm 

vince_de_wild wrote:
CaullyFlowerHead wrote:
I remember an interview were frank said inept chick rock trio the shaggs (!) were better than the beatles

Oh, man! Love that shaggs album! He DID say they were better than The Beatles! In what way, i don't know. I don't even know why he liked it, but man, the song "My Pal Foot-Foot" ROCKS!

And gut-wrenching, heartbreaking lyrics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:41 am 

If I had to guess, I think Frank thought that The Shaggs were a cool hybred of The GTO's and what 90% of the world THOUGHT they heard when they first listened to "Trout Mask Replica"! (no offense to Mr. French and the "Trout Mask" Magic Band.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:25 am 

Zappa talks about John Lennon/The Beatles on Larry King Live, August 13, 1985.

A viewer calls in and asks Zappa about his opinion on John Lennon and his talent and what he did with music.

Zappa: "I thought John Lennon was a very nice person"

King: "How about his talent"?

Zappa: "As far as his talent goes, I was never a Beatles fan."

King:"You weren't?"

Zappa: "No I wasn't. I can name you three Beatles songs I enjoy: "Paperback Writer", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "I am the Walrus". The rest of them, I didn't like that much."

King: "But you liked him as a person?"

Zappa:"Yeah, he was a nice guy".

King: "Good musician?"

Zappa "Yeah."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVOjp1xn2U

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm 

Lou Reed didn't like him either, and I like Lou Reed's music. How many bands had FZ came out and actually say he really liked?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:37 am 

Well, there's that interview on the "Halloween" DVD-A, where he mentions liking DEVO, and The Stranglers!