It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finding Higgs Boson
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:12 pm 

Found it!

http://www.particlezoo.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 am 

Now that you found him, maybe you can also help me on my quest to find Waldo.

Can you find him in the picure above :roll:

Post subject: Re: Finding Higgs Boson
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 am 

Cern Large Hadron Collider restarts after 14 months

The Large Hadron Collider experiment has re-started after a 14-month hiatus while the machine was being repaired.

Engineers have made two stable proton beams circulate in opposite directions around the machine, which is in a tunnel beneath the French-Swiss border.

The team may try to increase the £6bn ($10bn) collider's energy to record-breaking levels this weekend.

The LHC is being used to smash together beams of protons in a bid to shed light on the nature of the Universe.

It is the world's largest machine and is housed in a 27km-long circular tunnel.

During the experiment, scientists will search for signs of the Higgs boson, a sub-atomic particle that is crucial to our current understanding of physics. Although it is predicted to exist, scientists have never found it.

Dozens of giant superconducting magnets that accelerate the particles at the speed of light have had to be replaced after faults developed just days after the collider was inaugurated last year.

Operated by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern), the LHC will create similar conditions to those which were present moments after the Big Bang.

The BBC's Pallab Ghosh in Geneva says the restart of the collider was the moment the scientists had been waiting for.

It means they can once again go in search of the new discoveries they believe will roll back the frontiers of understanding our universe, says our correspondent.

"It's great to see beams circulating in the LHC again," said Cern's director-general Rolf Heuer.

"We've still got some way to go before physics can begin, but with this milestone we're well on the way."

Engineers sent their first beam all the way round the LHC's circumference 100m underground after 1930 GMT on Friday.

Record attempt

The beams themselves are made up of "packets" - each about a metre long - containing billions of protons. But they would disperse if left to their own devices.

Electrical forces had to be used to "capture" the protons. This keeps them tightly huddled in packets, for a stable, circulating beam.

Engineers had not been expected to try for a circulating beam before 0600 GMT on Saturday.

James Gillies, Cern's director of communications, told BBC News: "It happened faster than anyone could have dreamed of."

"Everything went very smoothly."

Dr Gillies said that if everything continued to go well, Cern might try to reach a record-breaking beam energy of 1.2 trillion electron volts this weekend.

Only the Tevatron particle accelerator in Chicago, US, has approached this energy, operating at just under one trillion electron volts.

But other team members want to keep the beam circulating at low energy and try for the machine's first proton beam collisions.

"The LHC is a far better understood machine than it was a year ago," said Steve Myers, Cern's director for accelerators.

"We've learned from our experience, and engineered the technology that allows us to move on. That's how progress is made."

1 - 14 quadrupole magnets replaced
    2 - 39 dipole magnets replaced
    3 - More than 200 electrical connections repaired
    4 - Over 4km of beam pipe cleaned
    5 - New restraining system installed for some magnets
    6 - Hundreds of new helium ports being installed around machine
    7 - Thousands of detectors added to early warning system

There are some 1,200 superconducting magnets which form the LHC's main "ring".

These magnets bend proton beams in opposite directions around the tunnel at close to the speed of light.

At allotted points around the tunnel, the proton beams cross paths, smashing into one another with enormous energy. Large "detector" machines located at the crossing points will scour the wreckage of these collisions for discoveries that should extend our knowledge of physics.

Engineers first circulated a beam all the way around the LHC on 10 September 2008.

But just nine days later, an electrical fault in one of the connections between superconducting magnets caused a tonne of liquid helium to leak into the tunnel.

Liquid helium is used to cool the LHC to its operating temperature of 1.9 kelvin (-271C; -456F).

The machine has been shut down ever since the accident, to allow repairs to take place.

Professor Norman McCubbin, from the UK's Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot, added: "I'm sure every particle physicist has been feeling just a little bit impatient as the 're-start' of the LHC has drawn nearer. It's great to see beams circulating again."

The damage caused to the collider meant 53 superconducting magnets had to be replaced and about 200 electrical connections repaired.

Engineers have also been installing a new early warning system which could prevent incidents of the kind which shut down the experiment.

Cern has spent some 40m Swiss Francs (£24m) on repairs to the collider.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8371662.stm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:29 am 

edgewaterinn wrote:

This is great -- thanks for the link.

And here's a link to some giant plush microbes:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/6708/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:32 pm 

Higgs Boson will be discovered on 2012-12-21 which is the Roxy release planned date.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
edgewaterinn wrote:

This is great -- thanks for the link.

And here's a link to some giant plush microbes:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/6708/
I was thinking of getting some of this stuff for the very brainy one of my two nephews for Christmas until I saw the prices and the lack of guarantee that it would arrive on time, delayed or not at all. :roll:

--Bat (I was like him at that age but can't fathom where it all went! :oops: )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 am 

Me too, I would buy some if it wasn't so expensive :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:11 am 

BIG SCIENCE ain't cheap...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:30 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
BIG SCIENCE ain't cheap...
That's $¢ien¢e for ya!

--Bat :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm 

Cern LHC sees high-energy success

Europe's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has produced record-breaking high-energy particle collisions.

Scientists working on the European machine have smashed beams of protons together at energies that are 3.5 times higher than previously achieved.

Tuesday's milestone marks the beginning of work that could lead to the discovery of fundamental new physics.

There was cheering and applause in the LHC control room as the first collisions were confirmed.

These seven-trillion-electronvolt (TeV) collisions have initiated 18-24 months of intensive investigations at the LHC.

Scientists hope the studies will bring novel insights into the nature of the cosmos and how it came into being.

Many of them have described Tuesday's event as the beginning of a "new era in science".

But researchers caution that the data gathered from the sub-atomic impacts will take time to evaluate, and the public should not expect immediate results.

"Major discoveries will happen only when we are able to collect billions of events and identify among them the very rare events that could present a new state of matter or new particles," said Guido Tonelli, a spokesman for the CMS detector at the LHC.

"This is not going to happen tomorrow. It will require months and years of patient work," he told BBC News.

The LHC is one of the biggest scientific endeavours ever undertaken.

More, including video:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8593780.stm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Europe's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has produced record-breaking high-energy particle collisions.

These seven-trillion-electronvolt (TeV) collisions have initiated 18-24 months of intensive investigations at the LHC.

Every time they turn that thing on we get brown outs here in Bordeaux for christ sakes! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 am 

Brown outs or brown clouds?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Every time they turn that thing on we get brown outs here in Bordeaux for christ sakes! :mrgreen:

Do they give you a pound for a brown out?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

There it is.

Finally, we are all in a black hole.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:31 pm 

Of all theoretical books was quantum-physics the most exciting, astonishing and odd. We know that ..it isn't so, really, showing us a world abundant of brain-breaking new views. Comprised in the very one slogan, there are quantum jumps, unforeseeable surprises. Useful, when one needs a far-reaching comm-line across mySpace. It is now feasible to force sub-atomar particle in a state of entanglement, they then own all the same traits and, you change these, all other will respond promptly with precision. So now we bring these stunners to a very far place, no matter how distant and if you send a message via this marvel, the recipient knows it simultaneously. Q-PC even secure a flaw-free transaction. Any manipulating from a hacker or spy would get inevitably noticed. Fine thing, such a doobry.

The quite a wonder contruction we speak of has been a bargain, only cost 9B, scientists waited for thirty years and almost all electronic devices function with QM. The data from the LotR are well-worth pondering about at a later letter from one of you. Start with the tunnel, the magnets et al involved, sizzylions of things working together and then a picture of them sensors. Not talking of the smallest realm where all this is occuring. They have now already trillions of data and who knows, maybe that there waits another novelty. - So, the central luminary is on the fly-by ;) coffee clear and .. the audio stream stopped. What that's? a fresh sort of broadsidecasting in a minute sixty seconds. - Yagoggle, Pirate-Radio... Starship-Brewzer

..see you at the trylight-boozer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 pm 

Sabretoophairy wrote:
Of all theoretical books was quantum-physics the most exciting, astonishing and odd. We know that ..it isn't so, really, showing us a world abundant of brain-breaking new views. Comprised in the very one slogan, there are quantum jumps, unforeseeable surprises. Useful, when one needs a far-reaching comm-line across mySpace. It is now feasible to force sub-atomar particle in a state of entanglement, they then own all the same traits and, you change these, all other will respond promptly with precision. So now we bring these stunners to a very far place, no matter how distant and if you send a message via this marvel, the recipient knows it simultaneously. Q-PC even secure a flaw-free transaction. Any manipulating from a hacker or spy would get inevitably noticed. Fine thing, such a doobry.

The quite a wonder contruction we speak of has been a bargain, only cost 9B, scientists waited for thirty years and almost all electronic devices function with QM. The data from the LotR are well-worth pondering about at a later letter from one of you. Start with the tunnel, the magnets et al involved, sizzylions of things working together and then a picture of them sensors. Not talking of the smallest realm where all this is occuring. They have now already trillions of data and who knows, maybe that there waits another novelty. - So, the central luminary is on the fly-by ;) coffee clear and .. the audio stream stopped. What that's? a fresh sort of broadsidecasting in a minute sixty seconds. - Yagoggle, Pirate-Radio... Starship-Brewzer

..see you at the trylight-boozer.

It isn't a black hole...thats the toilet water rotating as the crap goes down...lost in a wirlpool... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:07 pm 

Acid burnout.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:02 am 

polydigm wrote:
Acid burnout.

I have to conclude theoretically that physics is so fucked up and stymied because out "universe" is just another black hole inside another black hole - needless to say much, much larger than any black holes in our "universe" - within another "universe" and especially because we keep finding radiation older our "universe." What if all the suns in every galaxy were just tiny parts of a single, unified sun working in consonance with itself and galaxies actually weren't all that far apart in this "black hole"? It wouldn't be "acid" and there wouldn't be a burnout with no Second Law of Thermodynamics!

--Bat :?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:58 pm 

Batchainmovie wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Acid burnout.
I have to conclude theoretically that physics is so fucked up and stymied ...
Sorry, Bat, but this is just not true. The physics we have is actually in pretty good shape compared to the start of the last century.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Batchainmovie wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Acid burnout.
I have to conclude theoretically that physics is so fucked up and stymied ...
Sorry, Bat, but this is just not true. The physics we have is actually in pretty good shape compared to the start of the last century.
And before we became so well-balanced few had any trouble with Aristotelian physics the Roman Church had modified. It's always the anomalies that throw us off and send us looping! (Yeah, my "bigger black hole" was something I thought up like a "brain wank" when I was young and it wasn't implausible to me, though no serious physicist would even give it a first thought it was so obviously adolescent and fatuous and handily proved nonsense by those who knew what was dumb shit.)
Well, if you haven't already, try this! It's short and fascinating! (If scientists have "groupies" I'm a Kary Mullis groupie! LOL! ;) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNOtiRB3uyk

--Bat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 pm 

US experiment hints at 'multiple God particles'

There may be multiple versions of the elusive "God particle" - or Higgs boson - according to a new study.

Finding the Higgs is the primary aim of the £6bn ($10bn) Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiment near Geneva.

But recent results from the LHC's US rival suggest physicists could be hunting five particles, not one.

The data may point to new laws of physics beyond the current accepted theory - known as the Standard Model.

The Higgs boson's nickname comes from its importance to the Standard Model; it is the sub-atomic particle which explains why all other particles have mass.

However, despite decades trying, no one, so far, has detected it.

The idea of multiple Higgs bosons has emerged from results gathered by the DZero experiment at the Tevatron particle accelerator, operated by Fermilab in Illinois, US.

(...)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10313875.stm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 pm 

I have been hearing about this kind of stuff since I was a kid from my cousin Joe who is a scientist.

Here is some of his work on tether dynamics.

http://www.aiaa.org/pdf/industry/presen ... n_EDDE.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:04 pm 

God particle signal is simulated as sound

Scientists have simulated the sounds set to be made by sub-atomic particles such as the Higgs boson when they are produced at the Large Hadron Collider.

Their aim is to develop a means for physicists at Cern to "listen to the data" and pick out the Higgs particle if and when they finally detect it.

Dr Lily Asquith modelled data from the giant Atlas experiment at the LHC.

She worked with sound engineers to convert data expected from collisions at the LHC into sounds.

"If the energy is close to you, you will hear a low pitch and if it's further away you hear a higher pitch," the particle physicist told BBC News.

"If it's lots of energy it will be louder and if it's just a bit of energy it will be quieter."

The £6bn LHC machine on the Swiss-French border is designed to shed light on fundamental questions in physics.

It is housed in a 27km-long circular tunnel, where thousands of magnets steer beams of proton particles around the vast "ring".

At allotted points around the tunnel, the beams cross paths, smashing together near four massive "experiments" that monitor these collisions for interesting events.

Scientists are hoping that new sub-atomic particles will emerge, revealing insights into the nature of the cosmos.

(click me to hear God's music)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 pm 

effe, aWo? sounds louder in far more distance? and at the end of space and time they hear no clapping at all? the last boundary, innit? getting it sussed out to combine the already three force with what gives matter the ..way, I'll do it first, up and about or not. Just give us ey nudge, K?

...the dregs that will remain is children's play.... or more encore, then wonderstuff. Snip, the clear sky so above inner minnit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 pm 

Four elementary forces, ..could explain how to build a saucer. You know that a light particle is all over the show in no-w time? that and the universed ouch there gonna reach zero concern, a-Wotta? Einstijn's best proven, the topic in particular even more, despite gods playing with a seventh side of the cubes. Can you see me eight of wonder? ...ah, the music. There's a Bb clarinet for eighty pebbles. Tell me, could one do a rock concert with that one then? ... plus a U F O to begin wizz. EM-shield and drive, what still misses a reflector or summing. Or-righ-eeh.

F-ex: submarine with uranium pocket size is ...okay, swimming. Get a marvel of strong a construct up into the sky, accumulate speech, f-instance 1g, and circa a half year or so we can see C. ..then bang, all's dark, lol. The cmd is looking for the crew :lol: ...we must brake our vehicle much more efficiently! .another source of getting energy. Too much of a present right wow.