Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:29 am 

Over or underrated, damn near every one of these sons a bitches make me want to bury my guitar in soft peat and lime where it can't be abused by the likes of me any longer. I have to wonder though, since Jim Henson died years ago, who's been working the Slash muppet?

How about underrated guitarists?

I would have to nominate Springsteen. I have never been a fan and I honestly cannot tolerate his lyrics, his voice or his stage persona. Having said that, I caught part of a show, I gather it was a tribute to Warren Zevon, where Springsteen came to visit and pay his respects (a gesture that elevated him out of the muck) and play Warren a little guitar. That sob can play. If he taped his mouth shut and put out an instrumental album of that caliber I would gladly eat crow and buy it.

Miasma!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 am 

muziko wrote:
okay let me put it another way. If a person could recognise good blues guitar playing they would know Clapton and Hendrix are among the superior players of that particular style of music. They are creative players. They got where they were on top of the game musically because they had the talent and the chops to make it happen. No one handed them a guitar and they all of a sudden became world reknowned. They worked for it. You might not like them or think they are great but they are great. You can't get around that really. Subjective criticism won't change the fact that they influenced millions of musicians just like Zappa did. Over rated my ass. How do you rate a guitarist in a style you may ask? There are basic benchmarks that make great players. Zappa was a good melodic guitarist but his compositional output may never be equalled. That's just fact. I'll stand up for clapton or hendrix any day of the week and with this thread i just might. Until i'm tired.
I'll take Hendrix and Clapton you can have Townsend and Page. I'll trade you a Vai for a Buddy Guy and raise you a King. It doesn't really matter it's about who you resonate with and works for you.

This is why I say some of you folks have NOT listened to enough recordings of various artists, I realize the recordings of lets say clapton and Hendrix in the jazz genre are obscure and hard to find, but these guys play lots of musical styles, the big sellers were just that, done to make money. I recently saw EC on a cable music show with an all jazz ensemble I was stunned he was brilliant, I am guessing most have not heard him play that style, because jazz dont make you money !!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Andres Segovia...that cat didn't know any tunes I could dance to.

:mrgreen:

hee hee hee ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:06 am 

Keith Richards
Edge

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Andres Segovia...that cat didn't know any tunes I could dance to.

lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:17 pm 

Derek Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 pm 

Flea wrote:
Keith Richards
you're nuts.

Flea wrote:
The Edge
totally agree on that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 pm 

A guy walks into his doctor's office wearing nothing but a roll of clear saran wrap. The doctor takes one look at him and says, "I can clearly see you're nuts."

Sorry...

Miasma!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 pm 

Sam I Am wrote:
A guy walks into his doctor's office wearing nothing but a roll of clear saran wrap. The doctor takes one look at him and says, "I can clearly see you're nuts."

Sorry...

Ha! That's the best post on this thread!

I think I'm through rating guitar players. Like Frank said one time, "rating guitar players is a stupid hobby".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:38 am 

Lenny Kravitz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 am 

I second LK he is the most overrated Person he cant even sing :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10847&hilit=Lenny+Kravitz&start=50

Old but not broken Thread :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:59 am 

I didn't even know that anyone rated Lenny Kravitz (apart from Gurls). :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 pm 

Jimmy Page was sloppier than
Not a big Grateful Dead fan...
Kurt wasn't trying to be a virtuoso. But, he could convey an idea through guitar.
Slash...oddly enough he says Zappa is an influence on his playing

jaypfunk wrote:
Jimmy Page
Jerry Garcia
Kurt Nobrain
Slash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:34 am 

Joe Satriani

Hearing little sound bites on the radio he sounded pretty good so I went to see him do a New Year's Eve show (this must be 16, or so, years ago now). It was one the most boring and uninspired shows I have ever seen. Amazing technically, but just plain boring to listen to for a full show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 pm 

BB King
Jerry Garcia
Trey A.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:23 pm 

msvphoto wrote:
Joe Satriani

Hearing little sound bites on the radio he sounded pretty good so I went to see him do a New Year's Eve show (this must be 16, or so, years ago now). It was one the most boring and uninspired shows I have ever seen. Amazing technically, but just plain boring to listen to for a full show.

Gotta agree with ya on that one.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:19 am 

Frank spoke on this subject in an interview I read or heard somewhere many years ago, I cannot give it to you word for word, but they went down a list of all the greats including almost everyone listed here and Frank would say “he does to many drugs or did to many drugs" and did not indorse a single one until they got to the last name...Jeff Beck and Franks response was "he’s a very good guitarist".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 am 

Q: Are there guitar players you listen to?

FZ: There are a few that I've heard recently who I think are real good. I like Brian May of Queen-I think he's really excellent. And I always did like Wes Montgomery until they started smothering him with violins. I think his best album is one on Fantasy that just has him and his brothers playing "Lover Man" and "Monterey Blues" ( The Montgomery Brothers, Fantasy). I like the Johnny Guitar Watson records from the early '5Os; they're really good. And I especially like Gultar Slim. His solo on "The Story ofMyLife" (The Things That I Used To Do, Specialty) is one of the best early distorted guitar solos; it really sounds like he's mad at somebody.

Q: What about the contemporary heavies, like Jeff Beck or John McLaughlin?

FZ: I like Jeff, yeah. I've listened to Wired ( Epic), and there are a couple of solos on there that I like. And I like some of his stuff on Rough and Ready (Epic). A person would be a moron not to appreciate McLaughlin's technique. The guy has certainly found out how to operate a guitar as if it were a machine gun. But I'm not always enthusiastic about the lines I hear or the ways in which they're used. I don't think you can fault him, though, for the amount of time and effort it must have taken to play an instrument that fast I think anybody who can play that fast is just wonderful. And I'm sure 90% of teenage America would agree, since the whole trend in the business has been "faster is better."

From one size fits all Interview 1977.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:45 pm 

I remember in a late 80's interview in Musician Magazine, Frank praised Yngwie Malmsteen and Warren DeMartini. Will try to find the mag for the exact quotes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm 

Yeah, even though titles such as "Have I Offended Someone?" might suggest otherwise, he was a very polite artist...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 am 

Interviewer:
Do you personally think that you're under-rated as a guitarist?

Frank Zappa:
I think that I shouldn't be rated as a guitarist. I think that rating guitarists is the kind of a thing that, uh, that's a stupid hobby is rating guitar players.

Interview #1 from The Frank Zappa Interview Picture Disk, 1984

Interviewer:
And the other part of the same article is going to be your thoughts on some of your contemporaries and your people, if you don't mind. People like Chuck Berry?

Frank Zappa:
Chuck Berry? Well, I used to like Chuck Berry when I was in High School. Songs like "Havana Mill" and "Wee Wee Hours" which were the flip sides of the hits that he had - the more bluesy things. His main innovation besides that duck walk choreography was the multiple string guitar solos - the lines were harmonizing because he was playing on two strings at once. There was another guitar player who used to do that named Jimmy Nolan who I had a lot of respect for.

Interviewer:
B.B King?

Frank Zappa:
I don't like B.B. I saw him on television before I went on this tour and he was still blue.

Interviewer:
Oh yeah, I've seen him recently and I thought he was amazing. Keith Richard?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know anything about Keith Richard.

Interviewer:
Jimi Hendrix?

Frank Zappa:
I knew Jimi and I think that the best thing you could say about Jimi was: there was a person who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
John McLaughlin?

Frank Zappa:
I met John. I think he's a great guitar player and I think that he's probably done a lot to educate American audiences to some aspects of Eastern music that they wouldn't have come into contact with before. We did a tour with McLaughlin and old Mahavishnu, we did 11 concerts with them.

Interviewer:
Lowell George?

Frank Zappa:
There's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
Eric Clapton?

Frank Zappa:
I know Eric, I haven't seen him in years and years. There's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
Jeff Beck?

Frank Zappa:
One of my favorite guitar players on the planet. From a melodic standpoint and just in terms of the conception of what he plays, he's fabulous. I like Jeff.

Interviewer:
Rory Gallagher?

Frank Zappa:
We worked 2 jobs with Rory Gallagher on this tour and, uh,......[long pause]... he's still playing the blues.

Interviewer:
Jimmy Page?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know anything about Jimmy Page.

Interviewer:
Peter Green?

Frank Zappa:
I don't know him either.

Interviewer:
Jerry Garcia?

Frank Zappa:
We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set.

Interviewer:
Pete Townshend?

Frank Zappa:
I've met Pete but I don't know what I can say about his guitar playing.

Interviewer:
Robert Fripp?

Frank Zappa:
I've never heard of Robert Fripp.

Interviewer:
Ritchie Blackmore?

Frank Zappa:
I have met Ritchie too, and..... I'm not really familiar with the work of these people because you have to understand I'm not a pop consumer and I don't listen to a lot of these.

Interviewer:
[What do you listen to?]

Frank Zappa:
Well, what I do is I take cassettes with me on the road because sometimes you're sitting in the hotel room and you just want to listen to something, but what I take is not rock and roll. I like Chopin, I have Purcell, I have Webern, I have Varese, I have Bulgarian music. I don't listen to Rock and roll.

Interviewer:
Yes, um, Carlos Santana?

Frank Zappa:
We worked with Carlos Santana on Cologne in 1980 or 81 and it was a similar situation. We did two shows at the sport palace in Cologne. They opened the first show, we closed it. Then we opened the second show and they closed it so I never heard him play.

Interviewer:
As you said you don't listen to popular music so I don't expect you know Eddie Van Halen.

Frank Zappa:
I do know Eddie. He comes over to the house because he hangs out with my son.

Interviewer:
I see. But do you know him as a guitar player?

Frank Zappa:
Oh yeah. He and my son play together and he's fabulous, but there's another guy who shouldn't use drugs.

Interviewer:
I presume you don't know The Edge - from U2?

Frank Zappa:
The Edge?

Interviewer:
Yeah.

Frank Zappa:
No.

Interviewer:
[unintelligible] from Big Country?

Frank Zappa:
No.

Interviewer:
What would be your thoughts on the original guitar playing of the Mothers, i.e. yourself?

Frank Zappa:
Well, there's one other guy whose work I know who should be included in that list who I respect and that's Allan Holdsworth.

Interviewer:
I was going to ask you who was your favorite guitar player.

Frank Zappa:
Well, my original favorite guitar player was Johnny "Guitar" Watson, not from a technical standpoint but from listening to what his notes meant in the context in which they were played; and also Guitar Slim who was the first guitar player that I ever heard that had distortion - even during the 50s. In a strange way I think I probably derive more of my style from his approach to the guitar from the solos that I heard then.

Interview #2 from The Frank Zappa Interview Picture Disk, 1984

I Got a feeling the commet about
warren de martini is from Image
The mags from 90s some of the interviews are from the 70s 80s :!:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:13 am 

That's it. you rock Cleon...I guess I'm getting old I didn't qoute that very good...oh well it was 25 years old i guess I caught the flavor. By the way where do you think Eddie Van Halen got that finger progression from, it has been out there for years that he hung out at the Zappa house.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:49 am 

I think Van Halen sounds more or less like Alvin Lee with a whammy bar.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 pm 

Vernon Reid of Living Colour

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:19 pm 

I think Reid has the chops... I think he is talented...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next