Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 pm 

cleon wrote:
[...]

and, the complete interviews can be found right here:
no. 1: picture disk interview 1
no. 2: picture disk interview 2
and: the mother of all interviews 1
and, also: the mother of all interviews 2

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 am 

Nobody said anything about,
The mother of all interviews it's A crap interview anyway.
so you don't know which interview Zappa Says about Warren D Martin.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:42 am 

The interview where Frank mentions Warren DeMartini is here http://www.afka.net/articles/1987-01_Guitar_Player.htm.

Also I have the Zappa magazine that you showed a picture of before and there is a section in that (page 14) where De Martini talks about Frank and being asked to play on the Zappa's Universe birthday tribute concert.

Also - on the subject of fz and guitar solos I found this interview the other day which I hadn't heard before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWXenHfehA

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm 

Found it. In September '88 Musician mag:

Not that Frank has total contempt for the "squealers" of the world. His current guitar faves include metal dive-bombers like Yngwie Malmsteen ("In spite of the negative things that are said about him, I happen to think he really can play"), Eddie Van Halen and Ratt's Warren DiMartini. Zappa's own bands have long included a position called "stunt guitarist," which typically gets filled by metal-plated players like Steve Vai. The stunt guitarist's role, says Frank, is twofold: 1) "to enable me to write guitar parts that I could never play myself," and 2) "to reproduce guitar parts I've done on old records, because I can't sing and play lead guitar at the same time onstage. This year's stunt guitar player," Zappa adds, "is also a very excellent guy named Michael Keneally."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:01 pm 

Thanks Graham
I was getting to think that the Mag cover i sent was with Warren D being interviewed
The one on you tube is taken from the pic Disc.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I think Reid has the chops... I think he is talented...

Yeah, I think Vernon's great. Check out the recent solo records on Vai's label.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 am 

Anyone have any thought on Tony Bourge of Budgie fame, he was hot in the 70's and how about an often underrated guitarist Todd Rundgren, one last underrated guitarist pick Andy Partridge of XTC?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:59 am 

Plook wrote:
Anyone have any thought on Tony Bourge of Budgie fame, he was hot in the 70's and how about an often underrated guitarist Todd Rundgren, one last underrated guitarist pick Andy Partridge of XTC?

I don't know much about Budgie but I agree about Todd and Andy. I think they're underrated in alot of areas.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:48 am 

Budgie was the first real speed metal band formed in the 70's, actually they were a huge inspiration to Metallica and covered some Budgie songs such as Breadfan, check them out.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:22 pm 

Dwayne Eddy?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 am 

Some intersting posts. I would nominate Eric Johnson, who I think is a great guitar player, but leaves me flat when I listen to his recorded stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 am 

Oh, and one more thing...Keith Richards should be wiped from the list. His rhythm playing is phenomenal and he's quite the piano player as well. He is the epitome of Rock and Roll and should be above reproach. I'd put him up against any rhythm player that has ever lived.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:54 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
springsteen
matthews
tork
dimeola
frampton
gilmour
lifeson
vai

Vai doesnt belong in this group IMO
nor does dimeola even though Im not a big fan of either.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm 

One of those major Guitar publications had a top 100 influential guitarist of all time about a decade or so ago.
The fact that The Edge was on that list and Wes Montgomery was nowhere to be found was entirely
preposterous.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 pm 

Haw haw haw :mrgreen:

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 am 

Overall then I think we are pretty much agreed that Eric is over rated, but a pleasant bloke that you could take home to your Mom and frankly I love him and every other guitarist that ever existed - Is everyone happy now?

Swapping subjects slightly and moving into more provocative territory - I once had the audacity to say to a Manchunian that I didn't rate Oasis as being much more than an average Beatles Cover Band and was faced with a barrage of "I'd like to see you do better!"
So I proposed a competition.

Firstly we should ask Oasis to design, say a travelling underslung cantilevered parapet support, as that's the kind of thing I do for a living.
Then see if I can make a song, as that's what they do for a living......I rest my case....now where did I put those old Beatles albums.....

Money/Mouth time: Go to Myspace.com/kwaze and play the "Live Or Die" vid.......and please leave some abrasive insulting criticism!

Incidentally, does anyone know when Pete Townshends book is coming out - the one he started writing about 5 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:27 am 

You mean the one that required all the "research"?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:39 am 

Aye - That'll be the one......

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:03 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
One of those major Guitar publications had a top 100 influential guitarist of all time about a decade or so ago.
The fact that The Edge was on that list and Wes Montgomery was nowhere to be found was entirely
preposterous.

A mag In the mid 90s had The same,maybe the same one,About 10 players in a Party type photo on the cover I think paul gilbet was blowing a xmas whistel Joe satriani and vai was on there on the cover with a load of others.The extra issue for xmas thinking of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:26 am 

The one and only name that sticks out is Jimmy Page. I like Led Zeppelin's music and their influence on rock is massive, but I can't think of a guitarist that has enjoyed such hero worship and consistently played so sloppy. I mean show after show, tour after tour, this guy could barely keep it together. And while I know the drugs had a big part to play during the '75, '77 and '80 tours, I just saw Thank You from the P&P reunion MTV show and that solo was weak! Truly a guy that has no business in a Top Rock Guitarist list.

Under-appreciated rock guitarists - Alex Lifeson (who ever said 'overrated', get over your Rush-hating bigotry) and Martin Barre.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm 

amyjared wrote:
Oh, and one more thing...Keith Richards should be wiped from the list. His rhythm playing is phenomenal and he's quite the piano player as well. He is the epitome of Rock and Roll and should be above reproach. I'd put him up against any rhythm player that has ever lived.

anyone who calls Keef over-rated oughta get themselves to the next RS concert and get their ears on
.. maybe the music is over-rated, but man, hearing Keef play live is F'kn fantastic

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 pm 

George Harrison

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 pm 

massagio wrote:
George Harrison

no. harrison is definitely underrated.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:33 am 

Honestly, I think Jimi Hendrix is a bit overrated... maybe it's because I'm so used to flamenco guitar, but his playing really doesn't impress me as much as that of flamenco guitarists.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:48 pm 

Bulerias wrote:
Honestly, I think Jimi Hendrix is a bit overrated... maybe it's because I'm so used to flamenco guitar, but his playing really doesn't impress me as much as that of flamenco guitarists.
Tell me the name of a flamenco guitar player that could replace Hendrix on this list. I doubt there are any that influenced guitar players (or musicians for that matter) more than Hendrix did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next