Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Paco DeLucia


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13800
Location: From some place in this area...
Good joke, tell me another one...

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Cletus wrote:
Bulerias wrote:
Honestly, I think Jimi Hendrix is a bit overrated... maybe it's because I'm so used to flamenco guitar, but his playing really doesn't impress me as much as that of flamenco guitarists.
Tell me the name of a flamenco guitar player that could replace Hendrix on this list. I doubt there are any that influenced guitar players (or musicians for that matter) more than Hendrix did.


You're right about the influence Hendrix had - but Paco Delucia is arguably just as good of a flamenco guitarist as Hendrix was a rock guitarist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:01 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SBD CA
brainpang wrote:
Hey Goofus, Stop being an ass and start by nominating someone yrself. Best, Gallant


Anyone that feels that they're too smart to be rating musicians are about as stupid as they may be! :P

Music is about as relative as it could be, and anyone that thinks that they can be ranking musicians should maybe playing one themselves :|


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 299
paco de lucia is argueably the greatest flamenco guitarist in the world.
jimi hendrix, when he was alive, was one of the greatest guitarists in rock music.
It's kind of like comparing bach to springsteen or little richard with sonny bono.

_________________
Stop Plate Techtonics!!
http://www.myspace.com/originalfacelift
http://www.balkanmusic.org/
http://thesurfonics.com/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1284
Location: Bordeaux, France
muziko wrote:
paco de lucia is argueably the greatest flamenco guitarist in the world.
jimi hendrix, when he was alive, was one of the greatest guitarists in rock music.
It's kind of like comparing bach to springsteen or little richard with sonny bono.


Don't be messin with Sonny!

My vote goes to Jimmi Page. It took me a while, but i finally figured out (around age 12) that the talent of a musician was not in any way proportional to his/her popularity. It was true then as it is now. When i saw LedZep in concert i was soooo dissapointed!

Alvin Lee also comes to mind!

_________________
"You can fly like a Penguin when you're dealing with Turkeys."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Kim Slmmons,Savoy Brown :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
Alvin Lee and Kim Simmons, these two guys are fantastic, overrated would be edge, or the bloke from, poison.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7030
Location: exile
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Alvin Lee and Kim Simmons, these two guys are fantastic.

great musicians. totally agree.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:01 pm
Posts: 261
Location: SBD CA
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
BB King
Jerry Garcia
Trey A.


I guess you have absolutely no idea what the terms... blues, human sole mean..........?
What's the purpose of music anyway?
Ever see any of these three live? I've happened to have seen all three and they all bring it on :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5472
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
Image

Paul Stanley or Stan Pauley in his famous image-beyone-talent math quotient.

of the two, Ace was better.

_________________
*********************************************************************



There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4916
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Urgh, I think that's about the most digusting thing I've seen all week! Is it the hairy chest, the erect nipple, the expression of self delusional megalomania, the revolting haircut, the obscene posture? No, I think it must be the thought of the pimply crap he's doodling that really makes my stomach turn...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Caputh wrote:
Urgh, I think that's about the most digusting thing I've seen all week! Is it the hairy chest, the erect nipple, the expression of self delusional megalomania, the revolting haircut, the obscene posture? No, I think it must be the thought of the pimply crap he's doodling that really makes my stomach turn...


Kiss was "cute" Its only entertainment anyway! Anyway,ANYWAY!!
Jesus tits,that is not the way to say anyway,anyway!
You must be riding a Pigmy Pony too!? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Oh ya, me! I am very overrated! But I make up for it,by not being judged,by pojama people. :wink:
Roll 'em up gettim-outta my way! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Alvin Lee and Kim Simmons, these two guys are fantastic.

great musicians. totally agree.



Ya! I knew someone would stick up for those two! Thaz' 'skool!
How about say....Danny Kirwin?


Lets here it for Joe Pass! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4916
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Urgh, I think that's about the most digusting thing I've seen all week! Is it the hairy chest, the erect nipple, the expression of self delusional megalomania, the revolting haircut, the obscene posture? No, I think it must be the thought of the pimply crap he's doodling that really makes my stomach turn...


Kiss was "cute" Its only entertainment anyway! Anyway,ANYWAY!!
Jesus tits,that is not the way to say anyway,anyway!
You must be riding a Pigmy Pony too!? :mrgreen:


Don't worry - carry on liking them. Just felt like a bit of exaggerated invective. Aren't we ALL riding pygmy ponies? That's a nice thought - a horde of pygmy ponies ridden by members of the Zappa forum, thundering (or pattering) across the prarie. I wonder who would get the smallest hoss?
:?
BTW I'm going to watch your namesake's (with only one 'i') new film tomorrow - is it any good?

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:21 am
Posts: 1690
Location: SLS
jimmy vaughn

waaaayyyy overrated

_________________
http://www.ssimfg.com/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
Danny Kirwan, very good, listen to his work on Then Play On, P Green & Kirwan were the original twin lead players.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Danny Kirwan, very good, listen to his work on Then Play On, P Green & Kirwan were the original twin lead players.


Bravo,BRAVO SEIRRA now whadda ya think about Jeremy Spencer?
English Rose & Then Play On, Eh?
Compared with D.K.& P.G.? :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3606
Very good slide guitar, the three were brilliant to bad it did not last.

_________________
A government Bureau is the closest thing to eternal life on earth that you will ever see


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Very good slide guitar, the three were brilliant to bad it did not last.


Agreed! All three were never overrated.They were great! 8)
Now Peter Framton was-is overrated! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7030
Location: exile
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Alvin Lee and Kim Simmons, these two guys are fantastic.
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
great musicians. totally agree.
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ya! I knew someone would stick up for those two! Thaz' 'skool!
How about say....Danny Kirwin?

you mean danny kirwan, right, of fleetwood mac fame? :wink:
yeah, he was pretty good.
but, I've never seen his name on any top 100-lists, so I guess he's not really rated...
neither 'under' nor 'over'...

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 13142
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Lumpy, I spelled Danny Kirwan wrong.So Sorry,yes Peter Green's Fleetwood-Mac,of blues fame,no chicks in
the band back then.All three to me were great for to short of time! Wonder if any of them are on the top 100?
Then play on.............
Music is the Best! :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 7030
Location: exile
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Lumpy, I spelled Danny Kirwan wrong.So Sorry,yes Peter Green's Fleetwood-Mac,of blues fame,no chicks in
the band back then.All three to me were great for to short of time! Wonder if any of them are on the top 100?
Then play on.............
Music is the Best! :mrgreen:

well, peter green deserves to be in the top 25.
'then play on.' a great album. 8)

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15051
Milton Bradley wrote:
Image

Paul Stanley or Stan Pauley in his famous image-beyone-talent math quotient.

of the two, Ace was better.


I thought Milton knew everything. Now I know better. :cry:

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group