The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: ray collins speaks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:02 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Quote:
"if you just enjoy life," collins continues, "it's conducive to not being successful. you know what I mean? I just enjoy life."

well said, mr. collins. 8)

:roll:

Bprr . . . bprr . . . the year 1967
Drug-crazed youths discovered vagrancy as a way of life

Then turn old and keep coasting

Thank God I still coast - but hey, 7 years to Social Security - if it still exists by then :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:55 pm 

T.V. dinner by the pool! I'm so glad I got so much quit in me!
Now I live on social security.Ain't life a ball! :roll:
Jesus Tits! Doe's anyone give a hoot if he's happy?
By his standard,not yours!
Can you be happy and not money motivated? :mrgreen:

tweezers wrote:
I always say I was born in '54 and have lived till 55, most people who saw me 35 years ago would never have believed I actually SURVIVED

The same here, I wouldn't live till 16-21-30-39yrs ect...........
Its always the same,you step outta line the man take you away.Thats why when your young they tell you constantly "thats not how nice people act" even when it is really funny! Why do adults act like that? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:40 am 

you understand, my Cap'n 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 pm 

tweezers wrote:
you understand, my Cap'n 8)

Sue & Mary me! Thanks Tweeze! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:29 pm 

Quote:
I don't think he was dropped, I believe he left the band.
Plus, why is it sad? I don't think he was up to much before meeting Zappa so it wasn't like he was giving a career up. He seems like a drifter to me. Someone claiming to be Ray Collins' nephew (If memory serves correctly) has emailed another Zappa site saying he is happy etc so I think everything is cool with him

That is correct. It was in 1968. We were in Chicago driving to the gig. Ian was driving. Frank was in the shotgun seat, and Ray and I sat in the back seat. We'd been laughing and joking, when all of a sudden out of the blue, Ray said, "Frank I think I'm going to quit the band." There was a stunned silence. I got a sick feeling in my stomach. Frank finally asked him when he was going to leave. That was his last tour, although Ray played a few gigs with us again in California. I recall one in San Diego just after that idiot from the Doors had exposed himself on stage. Ray made some great stage jokes about the guy at that concert.

To me, Ray was the soul and spirit of the Mothers. He not only had a great voice, but his limitless sense of humor, and his odd way of looking at things made him a joy to be with both on and off stage. When he left, it really was never the same again. He performed both the satire and difficult charts so well, that I never knew until much later that he really didn't like doing that stuff.

Ray has always been a true vagabond, and resisted being tied down or being told what to do. He loved to sing, and he never gave a damn about money. We still correspond once in awhile. And Ray is just as contented today as he ever was.

Art Tripp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:20 am 

i have been meaning to post a response since the original posting...keep forgeting but now after re-reading i find the article to be rather humorus. i was given rays' cell phone # by a mutual friend with the strict understanding not to give it out under any circumstances but i could call ray if i wish. i called ray and we spoke for a rather long time and he regaled me with old stories of the early mothers and his trips/tours to toronto in the 60's. hw was very graciuos and kind and was telling me all about his solo material that he has been working on for a number of years and how he is also a cab driver.
he asked me for my phone # and he would call me later...which he did and stated rather bluntly but not rude that he didn't want to talk to me anymore as all we had in common was the zappa connection which he was done with and didn't want to re-live that part of his life anymore. i respectively agreed about not contacting him and told him that if he so choose he could call me...which he did on a number of occasions and yelling+screaming in the phone about things that made no sense what-so-ever. then the calls stopped...
the end..a troubled man that i sure hope he comes to terms with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 pm 

I once heard an interview on Dutch radio with Jimmy Carl Black (it was about the making of Freak Out).
His comment on Ray Collins: "... but Ray Collins is a fucking weirdo, anyway."

I guess there are many opinions on Ray.

Anyway: Ray was a fantastic singer and somehow he was not able to focus on that.. As some one said in this thread: a drifter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:51 am 

Zappa referred to Ray Collins as an acid burnout victim. I've read that Zappa was pretty naive about drugs so I'm not sure about the depth of his comment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 am 

Zappa was pretty narrow-minded on drugs. He did have many prejudices.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:11 am 

tweezers wrote:

True but as he said, and I always wondered who he was referring to, "I used to know people that were perfectly normal and now they can't tie their shoes". I may not be exact on that quote but close. Ive seen it happen too. Some people shouldn't be taking drugs to begin with and they are usually the ones that over do it. Others seem to handle it 8)
I still wonder if that could have played a part in Ray's life. Maybe because I could not fathom being in a successful band like the Mothers and just deciding out of the blue to quit and become a drifter. Doesn't make sense to me. If he's truely happy then that's all that matters. If he "didn't want to re-live that part of his life anymore" then to me it seems there's a little more to it.
His work with Frank was stellar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:19 am 

Cletus wrote:
tweezers wrote:

True but as he said, and I always wondered who he was referring to, "I used to know people that were perfectly normal and now they can't tie their shoes". I may not be exact on that quote but close. Ive seen it happen too. Some people shouldn't be taking drugs to begin with and they are usually the ones that over do it. Others seem to handle it 8)
I still wonder if that could have played a part in Ray's life. Maybe because I could not fathom being in a successful band like the Mothers and just deciding out of the blue to quit and become a drifter. Doesn't make sense to me. If he's truely happy then that's all that matters. If he "didn't want to re-live that part of his life anymore" then to me it seems there's a little more to it.
His work with Frank was stellar.

I do agree that Ray's departure is inexplicable. I only wanted to point out that FZ was incredibly opinionated and some of those opinions were warranted and some were not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 pm 

Indeed: he was very opinionated. But that's not the only subject where he was very opinionated about. It's every one's good right.
But I wonder whether FZ was really narrow-minded on the topic of drugs.
The main message was: Do whatever you want to do, but don't bother me with it. And don't get into a liable position when you are 'so fucking out of it'.

Makes pretty much sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:51 am 

Gas Mask wrote:
Indeed: he was very opinionated. But that's not the only subject where he was very opinionated about. It's every one's good right.
But I wonder whether FZ was really narrow-minded on the topic of drugs.
The main message was: Do whatever you want to do, but don't bother me with it. And don't get into a liable position when you are 'so fucking out of it'.

Makes pretty much sense to me.

Suffice it to say that I wasn't trying to engage in a pro-drug or anti-drug debate. FZ was strongly opinionated about a lot of things (religious nuts, as another example). Who cares what I think, except me.

This is a thread about Ray Collins (swell vocals). Whatever motivated Ray to walk away, he may be the only ex-Mother who decided to leave and did not do it to pursue other musical interests. He was not ambitious in that way, and appeared happy in that article which I think initiated this thread. More power to him......