Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:54 am 

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/

That,s right you heard right he made number 100 out of 100 :?

I think its the first poll that placed him in there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:38 am 

He is much more than that...

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:13 am 

Pretty sad but whoever wrote the article or gathered the statistics obviously has a different set of criteria than I do. George Harrison? Slash? Dave fuckin Mustain? better than Frank? what a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 am 

Come too think about it he was on the last page's it may be in alphabetical order.
Any other mag,s with FZ in the Guitar Charts?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 am 

Cletus wrote:
Pretty sad but whoever wrote the article or gathered the statistics obviously has a different set of criteria than I do. George Harrison? Slash? Dave fuckin Mustain? better than Frank? what a joke.

It is a full book with a few pages for each in there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:17 pm 

It's all objective. I think he should be higher than that, and I struggle through the guitar albums.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 am 

i seen one a few weeks ago a top 50 and there was no mention, but it had noel fucking gallagher at no.16. that says everything about polls.

Solipsism Twitter
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:22 pm 

Is Roy Clark on that list?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
It's all objective. I think he should be higher than that, and I struggle through the guitar albums.

I love the guitar albums but Im a guitar player. They are the proof to me that he is one of the greatest of all time. To me they are almost like Frank saying..ok all you guitar nerds, chew on this. I can see why someone who doesn't play guitar might be bored by them. If you look at them from the air sculpture perspective, they are nearly perfect spontaneous compositions that are matched by very few in a rock context and are much more interesting to me than any jazzo Ive heard.This is why he is #1 in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:27 pm 

He deserves to be rated much higher than that. I think he made VH1's list (placing in the mid -30's). Or I could be mistaken. As a player myself it sucks to see certain guys (Page, Clapton, Hammett, whoever else you can think of that is overrated) place so much higher than Frank or Danny Gatton. It comes down to mass exposure in my opinion. Segovia don't sell magazines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:00 am 

Use your brain read the posts again before saying shit like he sould be higher NO 1 it as been said it is not a poll for fuck sake 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 am 

What're you guys reading bullshit polls like that for?

Ultimately who gives a fuck anyway?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:17 am 

Like someone else said, its alot to do with exposure.
Frank Zappa, although revered, is one of the (dare I say?) most under exposed and under rated musicians of the last century considering what a huge effect he has had.
Alot of the older folk know of him and will probably disagree with me on that, but as a 19 year old bloke, I know virtually NO people my age who have a knowledge of who he was, or what he did.
Yet virtually everybody my age knows and likes Jimi, Zepp, and Floyd. In reality he was way up there with them, and I'd hesitate to say he didn't superceed them in every aspect by an order of magnitude.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 am 

Natima wrote:
Like someone else said, its alot to do with exposure.
Frank Zappa, although revered, is one of the (dare I say?) most under exposed and under rated musicians of the last century considering what a huge effect he has had.
Alot of the older folk know of him and will probably disagree with me on that, but as a 19 year old bloke, I know virtually NO people my age who have a knowledge of who he was, or what he did.
Yet virtually everybody my age knows and likes Jimi, Zepp, and Floyd. In reality he was way up there with them, and I'd hesitate to say he didn't superceed them in every aspect by an order of magnitude.
Thanks that's what was the intent of starting this thread,I'm glad he made it :wink:
Welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 am 

These polls and lists never prove anything or mean anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 am 

Like what you got too say :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 am 

cleon wrote:
Like what you got too say :mrgreen:

Uncalled for, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
What're you guys reading bullshit polls like that for?

Ultimately who gives a fuck anyway?

FZ didn't give a fuck.

"Rating guitarists is a stupid hobby."-Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 am 

He said other stuff that was wrong so what :|

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 pm 

joonya77 wrote:
He deserves to be rated much higher than that. I think he made VH1's list (placing in the mid -30's). Or I could be mistaken. As a player myself it sucks to see certain guys (Page, Clapton, Hammett, whoever else you can think of that is overrated) place so much higher than Frank or Danny Gatton. It comes down to mass exposure in my opinion. Segovia don't sell magazines.

While I enjoy Page or Clapton, I couldn't agree more with the OP. Frank and Danny rule! (and Andreas too although he could have chilled a bit...dissing Chet Atkins after the Maestro found out Chet also played ELECTRIC guitar :roll: )

Did Frank really say rating guitarists is a stupid hobby? That sure SOUNDS like something he would say but can someone please confirm which interview, book or whatever that came from?

Personally, I swore off Guitar Ranking polls many years ago. First as Yngwie Malmsteen once said "Who cares who is the best guitarist. Music is not sports." (that right folks, dudemeister actually said that :shock: ). Next, over the years, my favorite guitarists get jostled around a bit. Third, I loathe magazines like Rolling Stone and their lame polls. For example, RS rated Duane Allman as #2 guitarist of all time? :? Hey, I love Duane's playing as much as the next guy but why not FZ, Charlie Christian, Lenny Breau, Danny Gatton, Les Paul, Merle Travis, Howard Roberts, Jeff Beck (he was in the mid teens I think), Denny Dias, Cliff Gallup, or Jimmie Rivers (<- check it out!), etc... Guitar polls just make me want to find these cappuccino slurping, goatee sporting, beany wearing angst filled, pencil necked geek critic muppets and give 'em...........an ice pick in the forehead, you know what I mean? ;-).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 pm 

what's been rated? Nothing in this thread by myself just people saying it's wrong too Rate and doing a litte themselves! Baarrrr.
:twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:43 pm 

cleon wrote:
what's been rated? Nothing in this thread by myself just people saying it's wrong too Rate and doing a litte themselves! Baarrrr.
:twisted:

Nothing personal intended there Cleon. If guitar polls have any redeeming features perhaps that would be: they could stimulate debate and expose a musician to a new generation of listener like Natima's case. While I may have inadvertantly done some ranking there myself (Do'H!) my main point is that there are so many fine guitarists that NEVER get any publicity from these big magazines. Instead Rolling Stone et al have a tendency to rehash thing and go for the lowest common denimonator to sell as many magazines as possible as another poster said. I simply wish they would get a bit more out of their comfort zone.

P.S. Here are some more guitarists worth listening too and in no particular order: Paul Pigat (an up and comer from Vancouver BC), Peter Green, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (esp. the early years for Johnny and Clarence) and Davey Graham (RIP mate).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 am 

naw zappa suck my x girlfriend told me shes alwayyyyssssss right punkys shoes too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 pm 

inventor of rock in roll there not enough time to go back to the other rockers just mothers i iii i i i i mean that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i dont care its the way i feel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and to here people say his music sucks over and over and over im on mothers duty day and night mothers are the best!!!! not music!!! the saying is all wrong all wrong :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 am 

But that poll wasn't numbered - FZ wasn't at the bottom or the top of the chart, because it wasn't a chart.
That one-liner description is pretty cool, though: "The Impossible Made Possible"