Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A few silly questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:33 am
Posts: 132
Location: United Kingdom
1. Can anyone say with assurance whether the track identified on some boots as "Just Another Unreleased Solo" (attrib. to the Pauley Pavillion show) is in fact - or isn't in fact - "The Subcutaneous Peril".

2. Scott Parker maintains that Flo & Eddie dubbed some extra vocals onto FILLMORE EAST JUNE '71 (he cites "Tears..." as a prominent example). Is this true? Or is he getting confused by Bob Harris I's vocal contribution?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 am
Posts: 1547
Haven't got the faintest, just swooning fine. Anyone from you p'r'aps?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 100
Referring to number two, the only part I can really detect is the first "Tears Began" and nothing after that. It just kind of sounds too good and a little double-tracked, but other than those two words, I cant really tell. But overall, my ears are just as good as yours.

_________________
Big News From The Party Boat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 587
Location: atlanta!
to me i can hear quite a few over dubs on fillmore 71, more than vocals too.

on tears during the bridge and the outro you can hear flo and eddie singing back up (which would've been impossible for them to do live)like the slow "tears-began-to-fall wah wah wah wah". most of the vocal over dubs are just singing what the keys/synth is playing.

you can hear layered vocals on mud shark (during the end)

and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)

_________________
Who's this dude with his hair straight back?
His new white socks, 'n his pants all black
His T-shirts rolled His watch is gold
A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
From Lorraine Belcher interview:

LBC: … I did sing back-up in the studio sometimes over the years...on The Mud Shark, with Mark and Howard. It was just fun fooling around with him at the recording studio...I don’t know what ever made it in the mix besides The Mud Shark.
IB: Did you overdub a live recording of that, or was that a separate studio recording?
LBC: Mark and Howard and I recorded over the live one, I think. We were in the studio adding tracks. …


Source: http://idiotbastard.com/Interviews/LorraineBelcher.htm

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5908
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
manichispanic wrote:
... and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)
Zappa used multiple rigs live with two differently effected layers from different speakers which he also recorded on separate tracks to manipulate further in the studio.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
polydigm wrote:
manichispanic wrote:
... and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)
Zappa used multiple rigs live with two differently effected layers from different speakers which he also recorded on separate tracks to manipulate further in the studio.

Like FZ MTV 1981 i read on this fourm somewhere that there songs on there with flangers in one mix and not in the other!
MTV show was recorded Stereo and mono live also :wink:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1202
FZ mentioned that the Fillmore album was "90% pure live" in an interview in Down Beat from 1978.

And yes, he would often play back his live guitar tracks through varying effects setups in the studio while mixing albums. This is noticeable on some tracks of SUNPYG.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1202
cyst-array wrote:
1. Can anyone say with assurance whether the track identified on some boots as "Just Another Unreleased Solo" (attrib. to the Pauley Pavillion show) is in fact - or isn't in fact - "The Subcutaneous Peril".


"The Subcutaneous Peril" is not from the Pauley Pavillion show. This and the other unique track from that "JABFLA second album" are reportedly from Carnegie Hall October 1971.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:33 am
Posts: 132
Location: United Kingdom
What I meant was:

a) for those who've actually heard JABFLA Disc 2: is "Subcutaneous" a PFAB solo?
If so, then it is the track I'm thinking of.

b) there's another high voice on the Filmore album which clearly isn't Mark or Howard (you can also hear it on the Fillmore "Billy The Mountain" extracts that turn up on bootlegs). I'd always assumed this was Bob Harris I (well fancy that that, two keyboard playing Bob Harrises, both with high voices!) but I s'pose it could in fact be Lorraine Belcher...or could it? The description of her voice in that article doesn't quite match with the extra voice on the record! Anyone know?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm
Posts: 263
Location: N. of Boston, MA USA
cyst-array wrote:
What I meant was:

a) for those who've actually heard JABFLA Disc 2: is "Subcutaneous" a PFAB solo?
If so, then it is the track I'm thinking of.

b) there's another high voice on the Filmore album which clearly isn't Mark or Howard (you can also hear it on the Fillmore "Billy The Mountain" extracts that turn up on bootlegs). I'd always assumed this was Bob Harris I (well fancy that that, two keyboard playing Bob Harrises, both with high voices!) but I s'pose it could in fact be Lorraine Belcher...or could it? The description of her voice in that article doesn't quite match with the extra voice on the record! Anyone know?
I can't say I do but who would trust anyone with the name Belcher to sing anything???

--Bat :mrgreen:

_________________
"In my lifetime I have met too many people who were educated beyond their intelligence."-Arthur C. Clark http://www.virusmyth.net


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6916
Location: South wales
WHATS THE sECRET word :) :) :)

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
Batchainmovie wrote:
cyst-array wrote:
What I meant was:

a) for those who've actually heard JABFLA Disc 2: is "Subcutaneous" a PFAB solo?
If so, then it is the track I'm thinking of.

b) there's another high voice on the Filmore album which clearly isn't Mark or Howard (you can also hear it on the Fillmore "Billy The Mountain" extracts that turn up on bootlegs). I'd always assumed this was Bob Harris I (well fancy that that, two keyboard playing Bob Harrises, both with high voices!) but I s'pose it could in fact be Lorraine Belcher...or could it? The description of her voice in that article doesn't quite match with the extra voice on the record! Anyone know?
I can't say I do but who would trust anyone with the name Belcher to sing anything???

--Bat :mrgreen:

Ha ha hahaha! yea I bet she got a lot of hassles as a kid.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group