Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A few silly questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 am 

1. Can anyone say with assurance whether the track identified on some boots as "Just Another Unreleased Solo" (attrib. to the Pauley Pavillion show) is in fact - or isn't in fact - "The Subcutaneous Peril".

2. Scott Parker maintains that Flo & Eddie dubbed some extra vocals onto FILLMORE EAST JUNE '71 (he cites "Tears..." as a prominent example). Is this true? Or is he getting confused by Bob Harris I's vocal contribution?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 am 

Haven't got the faintest, just swooning fine. Anyone from you p'r'aps?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm 

Referring to number two, the only part I can really detect is the first "Tears Began" and nothing after that. It just kind of sounds too good and a little double-tracked, but other than those two words, I cant really tell. But overall, my ears are just as good as yours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:22 pm 

to me i can hear quite a few over dubs on fillmore 71, more than vocals too.

on tears during the bridge and the outro you can hear flo and eddie singing back up (which would've been impossible for them to do live)like the slow "tears-began-to-fall wah wah wah wah". most of the vocal over dubs are just singing what the keys/synth is playing.

you can hear layered vocals on mud shark (during the end)

and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:11 am 

From Lorraine Belcher interview:

LBC: … I did sing back-up in the studio sometimes over the years...on The Mud Shark, with Mark and Howard. It was just fun fooling around with him at the recording studio...I don’t know what ever made it in the mix besides The Mud Shark.
IB: Did you overdub a live recording of that, or was that a separate studio recording?
LBC: Mark and Howard and I recorded over the live one, I think. We were in the studio adding tracks. …

Source: http://idiotbastard.com/Interviews/LorraineBelcher.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 am 

manichispanic wrote:
... and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)
Zappa used multiple rigs live with two differently effected layers from different speakers which he also recorded on separate tracks to manipulate further in the studio.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:57 am 

polydigm wrote:
manichispanic wrote:
... and most of zappa's solo's sound like he recorded another track on top of his live sound. you can clearly hear a wah-wah track, and a distorted guitar track playing in unison. (willie the pimp part 1 and 2 for example)
Zappa used multiple rigs live with two differently effected layers from different speakers which he also recorded on separate tracks to manipulate further in the studio.

Like FZ MTV 1981 i read on this fourm somewhere that there songs on there with flangers in one mix and not in the other!
MTV show was recorded Stereo and mono live also :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:13 pm 

FZ mentioned that the Fillmore album was "90% pure live" in an interview in Down Beat from 1978.

And yes, he would often play back his live guitar tracks through varying effects setups in the studio while mixing albums. This is noticeable on some tracks of SUNPYG.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:15 pm 

cyst-array wrote:
1. Can anyone say with assurance whether the track identified on some boots as "Just Another Unreleased Solo" (attrib. to the Pauley Pavillion show) is in fact - or isn't in fact - "The Subcutaneous Peril".

"The Subcutaneous Peril" is not from the Pauley Pavillion show. This and the other unique track from that "JABFLA second album" are reportedly from Carnegie Hall October 1971.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 am 

What I meant was:

a) for those who've actually heard JABFLA Disc 2: is "Subcutaneous" a PFAB solo?
If so, then it is the track I'm thinking of.

b) there's another high voice on the Filmore album which clearly isn't Mark or Howard (you can also hear it on the Fillmore "Billy The Mountain" extracts that turn up on bootlegs). I'd always assumed this was Bob Harris I (well fancy that that, two keyboard playing Bob Harrises, both with high voices!) but I s'pose it could in fact be Lorraine Belcher...or could it? The description of her voice in that article doesn't quite match with the extra voice on the record! Anyone know?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:57 pm 

cyst-array wrote:
What I meant was:

a) for those who've actually heard JABFLA Disc 2: is "Subcutaneous" a PFAB solo?

b) there's another high voice on the Filmore album which clearly isn't Mark or Howard (you can also hear it on the Fillmore "Billy The Mountain" extracts that turn up on bootlegs). I'd always assumed this was Bob Harris I (well fancy that that, two keyboard playing Bob Harrises, both with high voices!) but I s'pose it could in fact be Lorraine Belcher...or could it? The description of her voice in that article doesn't quite match with the extra voice on the record! Anyone know?
I can't say I do but who would trust anyone with the name Belcher to sing anything???

--Bat :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:00 pm 

WHATS THE sECRET word :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:40 pm 

Batchainmovie wrote:
cyst-array wrote:
What I meant was:

I can't say I do but who would trust anyone with the name Belcher to sing anything???

--Bat :mrgreen:

Ha ha hahaha! yea I bet she got a lot of hassles as a kid.