Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:52 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
... Does anyone want to see a major innovator of astoundingly great music of the 20th century fall into obscurity while mediocre shitbags are re-marketed again and again to both geriatric audiences who remember them from their teens and twenties and those introduced to them in their teens and twenties who'll buy them because they either never heard them or were exposed to them from mom and dad's (Or grandma and grandpa's!) old CD collection? And during all the marketing of stuff like "The Beatles", "John Lennon", "Pink Floyd", "Aerosmith", "Led Zeppelin" and "The Rolling Stones" while the name "Frank Zappa" fades into obscurity? ...

In my book, two thirds of this falls into the kind of people that are/were around Frank. In the end, if they didn't know the difference between Liszt and Wagenr or Beatles or Shitfaced, it won't matter. They would have no idea, or perception of what you are saying, and the only music they like/understand is the music that pertains to them that is similar enough to everything else around them. You can't blame them ... it's the only reference point they have! ...

Gail has the right to make her choices, but between you and I, does not change the fact that I am not sure that she gets, or understands, any of the material that is weird, off the wall, has orchestra all over it ... or that Dweezil even has an ear for it ... after all ... what was the amount of "weirdness" and "stuff" in the ZPZ DVD? ... 3 minutes? ... treated like it was some sort of cute daughter or son you are showing off to a suitor? Or worse ... you are trying to be cute with it, because you actually think it's weird and you are afraid that some people won't like it, and you don't want to alienate an audience ... that was pretty hard to get ... and the tour, or sales, are hanging by a thread and a nickel ...

That's not fun!

When it comes to history, there is nothing you or I or Gail can say or do, that changes it. Sometimes it just is and goes. Sort of like saying that Mozart was happy with his work and a music idiot translating his ideas. Or anyone else. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And I would not want Frank to be left behind anymore than you do ... but you and I can only do our parts and we must respect the choices that the trust in charge makes ... in the end, if the trust kills it, and the whole thing was just another eccentric rock star that was into weirdness and did not have slkeletons in his closets, fine ... that's their choice. But I don't know that they understand or can appreciate what the Varese and all the other classical music connections are all about ... sometimes even those are esoteric ... but they have stood the test of time and are remembered, and a lot of the credit also goes to folks like Frank ... but let's be honest here ... including you and I .... how many people listed in this board, have a single piece by Varese in their music collection? ... and do you think they understand how that is linked to Roxy and Elsewhere? or 200 Motels? or Hot Rats?

I doubt it!

Last edited by Moshkito on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:00 pm 

rajhoul wrote:
In summary, with the exception of myself, most FZ people probably couldn't care for Legacy Of Kain and similar stuff and most Legacy Of Kain people probably couldn't care for FZ and that similar stuff, so that is an example of how just because things can be liked doesn't really mean things are liked by a majority over a long period of time.

Is this the Phil Jackson school of Zen?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm 

Dweezil should take everything he's learned from his ZPZ excursions and make new, exciting music! Preferably something that isn't just a vehicle to show how shred-tastic he is. And don't get me wrong, he is shred-tastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm 

[quote="The Abominations"]he is shred-tastic.[/quote

:shock: Hes indeed