Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frank's infidelity
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm 

Who gives a shit? It was their lives. Seems to me that discussing it is only an excuse to act morally superior.

Post subject: Re: frank's infidelity
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Who gives a shit? It was their lives. Seems to me that discussing it is only an excuse to act morally superior.
calvin, I couldn't agree more with what you just said.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:57 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't see that there's anything wrong with discussing this topic. If someone wrote the definitive biography on Frank or any other public figure of interest it wouldn't be complete without some discussion of their behaviors and beliefs. We want to know what makes these people tick.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 am 

KillUgly wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't see that there's anything wrong with discussing this topic. If someone wrote the definitive biography on Frank or any other public figure of interest it wouldn't be complete without some discussion of their behaviors and beliefs. We want to know what makes these people tick.

Apparently Moon cared enough to make it a big part of her current writings... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm 

I don't think this kind of discussion automatically implies a feeling of superiority. How many people have totally fixed opinions about everything? ( ... too many perhaps?) That certainly doesn't happen at birth and the development of opinions takes place over time. I'm still open at 55 on a variety of issues. New experiences often teach me to be more flexible with my attitudes.

To me discussion is part of the process of forming opinions. God forbid we all stop having discussions and start forming opinions in a vacuum.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I don't think this kind of discussion automatically implies a feeling of superiority. How many people have totally fixed opinions about everything? ( ... too many perhaps?) That certainly doesn't happen at birth and the development of opinions takes place over time. I'm still open at 55 on a variety of issues. New experiences often teach me to be more flexible with my attitudes.

To me discussion is part of the process of forming opinions. God forbid we all stop having discussions and start forming opinions in a vacuum.

I meant to say "it is only an excuse for some to act morally superior." I didn't mean to imply that some had differing opinions.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:29 am 

polydigm wrote:

Poly I agree, also I think people are looking at this through the modern lens of current attitudes and laws...we must remember times were different back in the 70's...affairs were not good things but were known to happen and had a lot less stigma especially for a man. I have also made my point of the misunderstanding of what the whole free love thing meant, and a good example of a huge moral/legal shift is underage girls, it was very common when you were 18,19, 20, 21, and even older to date girls 16 or 17 years old. Although there were statutory rape laws on the books, if you did not force yourself on the girl or her parents were not well connected assholes, it was not only condoned but sometimes encouraged. Now it is a prison term and register as a sex offender for life!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:40 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:

calvin2hikers wrote:
I meant to say "it is only an excuse for some to act morally superior." I didn't mean to imply that some had differing opinions.
that's how I read it in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:06 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I agree to a point, but disagree with the attitude on it, but that is simply me, not anything else.

I'm a part of the love generation that really believes in the word and its use, and a lot of the rock thing is about that free love thing and enjoyment and participation thereof. For many people, and situations it is a grand adventure. For others, sometimes it isn't.

But the important think is ... do you want to look back in your life and early days and say ... I wish I had tried that? ... at the same time, what is your "relationship" with your significant other, all about? Is it just sex? ... if so, I'm sure other partners will be about. Is it ownership? A lot of infidelity in there! ...

Infidelity is only an issue, if you are not honest with your mate. If there is total dishonesty in it all, then ... it's probably a divorce on the way ... and we might be thinking that either Pam was intimidated/scared, or it simply was not an issue, and she understood the whole rock syndromme and while she might not have been a part of that whole thing (Pam suggests that she was not in a roundabout sort of way through her first 2 books -- she was too busy with the kids, so to speak!), the fact of the matter might have been that Frank probably was ... and that's ok with me, as long as he was selective and what not ... but you can't tell me that he was not aware of all that stuff around him, and what they did ... in fact, it's almost down right strange that Frank didn't get a plaster caster ... it appears he was better hung than most of them, and I seriously doubt that some ................ didn't want a piece of that!

Either that or that was a whole lot of vegetables squished in there!

If I'm a psychicatrist, and study the psychology of the lyrics, I seriously doubt that Frank was not somewhat involved with it, in order to be able to write and say the things he did so "expertly" and with such "authority" ... most of us, when kidding, can't say it that well or that strong!

But you know what? ... I don't care ... because the music is as good, if not better than anything else out there, including a lot of (supposedly) classical music! And yesterday Sophocles, Seneca, Shakespeare, and today Frank ... so what? ... it's the history of "words" in the arts in the end, and if we are grossed out by one word or suggestion, we are missing out all the other suggestions that Hamlet gave us ... like get thee to a nunnery is any different than fuck off bitch!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:54 am 

Plook wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Poly I agree, also I think people are looking at this through the modern lens of current attitudes and laws...we must remember times were different back in the 70's...affairs were not good things but were known to happen and had a lot less stigma especially for a man. I have also made my point of the misunderstanding of what the whole free love thing meant, and a good example of a huge moral/legal shift is underage girls, it was very common when you were 18,19, 20, 21, and even older to date girls 16 or 17 years old. Although there were statutory rape laws on the books, if you did not force yourself on the girl or her parents were not well connected assholes, it was not only condoned but sometimes encouraged. Now it is a prison term and register as a sex offender for life!

But in most countries the age of consent is 15 or 16. Setting the bar as high as 18 is wrong - out of touch with the reality of adolescent existence. But what do you expect of a country run by religious people?!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm 

cyst-array wrote:
Plook wrote:
polydigm wrote:

But in most countries the age of consent is 15 or 16. Setting the bar as high as 18 is wrong - out of touch with the reality of adolescent existence. But what do you expect of a country run by religious people?!

At least somebody realizes it! The thundering moralizing about sex rose steadily with the rise in religious influence doubled by the proclamation of "The Age of AIDS" that enjoyed a media blitzkrieg in the 1980s and 1990s. Of course the social ethos is going to follow the current. But think of the larger part of history when the only concern with "teen pregnancy" was that the female died from a physiological inability to complete a pregnancy because as a baby maker she was unable to contribute to the size of the tribe/nation as was necessary not to be conquered by a rival tribe/nation. But once human longevity shot up by several decades childhood was extended to an unreasonable number of years relative to what had been the normal evolution of human physiology.

Today we enjoy bashing bloody hell out of an immoral minority because we've always taken pleasure in routing out and flagellating "sinners". If we think movies are too gory and violent we might want to think back to earlier times when whole towns turned out to watch and even take part in a pilloried "sinner" undergoing the torture and probable death from a flagellum or cat o' nine tails.

Oh, how we've civilized ourselves!

--Batchain
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm 

polydigm wrote:
cyst-array wrote:
... monogamy/the conventional family are unworkable false constructs.
It all comes down to one thing, which no-one with a fully functioning brain and body will contracdict: humans are not supposed to be monogamous. For a simple reason: People get bored with each other, quickly!

This is horse shit. You only get bored with someone when you've met the wrong person. There is much fulfilment to be gained from a long term relationship with someone who's different enough to make you a versatile team but alike enough in certain fundamental ways to give it a firm foundation and keep it harmonious. Maybe it's not for everyone but many people are happier in a monogamous relationship and it's got fuck all to do with having a "fully functioning brain and body". Maybe it's a defective brain that's not capable of monogamy and fails to see what the benefits are.
But that implies that something is missing that ought to be present, poly. What of Gail's lack of musical ability? Is there something defective in her brain development that while she may have had the ability to see the benefits of monogamy she had no forte in music. But if Frank had been an honorable gentleman and saw the same benefit he may well have been tone deaf! (Well, we do have W.A. Mozart and his scatologic sexual behavior, Richard Wagner and his fetishistic transvestism and even Sir Isaac Newton and his pyromaniac behavior!)

But I do have much trouble in assigning human traits to other animals as the anthropomorphic pitfall of genetically behavioral equivalents. Here were may be fooling ourselves pairing human and non-human behavioral actions when a seemingly analogous behavior is assigned the same attribute, i.e., "altruistic" behavior arising from the same stimulus for the same result.
In fact, it brought to mind an old book, "Something (Name forgotten) the Darling Starling", in which a woman finds a sick and dying starling, nurses it back to health, and, as is common with starlings, it learns to speak words and short phrases. The curious thing about this bird is that it never says "good-bye" unless someone is leaving. Never! It might employ any of its large vocabulary at random times but reserved "good-bye" exclusively when someone was leaving. Obviously this had to be some kind of learning. But it's other behaviors analogous to human behaviors that I have doubts about what I'm told they are doing.

--Batchain

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 am 

Interesting points, Batty. Jeepers, for a guy who used to post pictures of poop, you be purty smart! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:53 am 

whats wrong with the age of consent at 17 or 18 anyways? is it that big of a problem? is it hurting your chances with the ladies? are you matthew mcconaghy from dazed and confused? you think a 40 year old going after a 15 year old is good for the 15 year old?

if anything, its going the OPPOSITE way. 12 and 13 year old girls used to get married and knocked up all the time. now we're trying to actually let them have a life, because at 15 you dont know the responsibility of such things and in society today nobody just waits til puberty and then gets married and has kids anymore, there is much more to being a citizen than that

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:04 am 

That's unrealistic. In my experience plenty of children (yes, girls too) become interested in age 10 and start growing hots at 12. The average age of losing virginity is 17. There's plenty gals getting it on already when they're 13, and you're not going to stop them, so it's better to allow it and tutor them about safety.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:20 am 

yea they can get it on, who said anything about that. i was commenting on the 13 year olds getting it on with 40 year olds. the 40 year olds should know better, because the 13 year olds dont

the fact is there has to be a limit SOMEWHERE, as nonsensical as it may be, otherwise youre saying its ok for 10 and 12 year olds to get picked up by older men and women. different people mature differently, but there HAS to be some cutoff to prevent kids from getting preyed upon by adults, dont you think? if they wanna fool around with themselves, who said anything about stopping that.

what i was responding to, is that whats the big deal if the age of consent is 18 years old anyways? is that hurting the poster's love life? and, its different in different states! i think in some states the cutoff is 15 or 16 for sex with adults.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 am 

joefc wrote:
whats wrong with the age of consent at 17 or 18 anyways? is it that big of a problem? is it hurting your chances with the ladies? are you matthew mcconaghy from dazed and confused? you think a 40 year old going after a 15 year old is good for the 15 year old?

if anything, its going the OPPOSITE way. 12 and 13 year old girls used to get married and knocked up all the time. now we're trying to actually let them have a life, because at 15 you dont know the responsibility of such things and in society today nobody just waits til puberty and then gets married and has kids anymore, there is much more to being a citizen than that

You misunderstood the point, the change in the way having sex with underage individuals is just another sign of our ever changing moral expectations, when I was 19 I dated a 16 year old girl...today I would go to jail and have to register as a sex offender for LIFE (consent is considered irralevent), back then her mother loved me. An 18 year old who has sex with a girl 17 can also expect the same hardline verdict in court.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:32 am 

first off, i guess i did miss the original point :smoke:

secondly, ever changing moral expectations are sometimes a bad thing as you seem to be insinuating, but mostly a good thing. a couple thousand years ago you could easily be enslaved or killed if you overstepped your boundaries.

people in this country were enslaved 160 years ago, and mistreated up until not too long ago. it was these 'ever changing moral expectations' that had a lot to do with that.

in the middle east, a woman can still be blamed/stoned to death for being raped, not to mention how they look down on them in that area of the world...isnt it better, overall, to have changing moral standards?

thirdly, youre telling me you cant date a 17 year old when youre 18? i always thought there was a bit of leeway, as in, if one is 17, the other can be up to 20/21? besides, in high school and college, i saw so much of that, and nothing (legally)ever came of it. so i dont think i can believe the 18 year old with a 17 year old would have that kind of a consequence. 19 and 16, maybe*** and it varies state to state

what i was bringing up was say, 30 year olds with 16 year olds

and also, when i was 20 i was with a hot little 17 year old for a while. her mother knew about it. i often disagree with 'zero tolerance' and 'black and white' interpretation of the law (or lack of interpretation), but i cannot imagine that there is not some leeway into the matter, because to me, a 20 year old and a 17 year old isnt that big of a deal.

if i had to go to jail, at least it wouldve been for that hot piece of ass :P

but the thing is, by law, there has to be a cutoff anyways, as illogical as it may be in certain individual cases, but there has to be one.

but back to the point made in the original post, i guess some of us are looking at this from a perspective of 21st century rather than 1960s and 70s. because i know of a lot of older men that did the same exact thing ' the wife was just for home' but still, it begs the question, why get married and have a family if you still wanna go fuckin around?

for some reason i've seen chauvinism and frank zappa mentioned together quite a few times. who really knows, but ruth underwood always had a job so there ya go

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 pm 

She was a fine girl
she do yer laundry
she do the dishes
she change a tire

she go
down

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:01 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
She was a fine girl
she do yer laundry
she do the dishes
she change a tire

she go
down

I like the fact that she has a flat spot on her head to carry a basket...what a gal!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Today we enjoy bashing bloody hell out of an immoral minority because we've always taken pleasure in routing out and flagellating "sinners". If we think movies are too gory and violent we might want to think back to earlier times when whole towns turned out to watch and even take part in a pilloried "sinner" undergoing the torture and probable death from a flagellum or cat o' nine tails.

Oh, how we've civilized ourselves!

--Batchain[/color] :roll:

Thank you ...

I really believe that it all goes back even to the days of Woodstock ... what should have been the crowning achievement for a nation of people ... is glorified, with a National Anthem done in front of trash. I really think that Jimi knew already, that not enough people gave a shit and were there just to get stoned! ... how hip of them! The music had no meaning, and no one cared anyway! And most still don't!

And we have a certain Scorcese to help in finding that shot and image too!

In the end, it was the media that killed it all ... and aids and everything else became a good reason to blame it all on those ugly, dirty and .... people!

And in some ways, that Frank was never able to get away from that image probably didn't help a lot of his work get around even more and get played ... but I also think that a lot of it was just a bizarre "don't give a shit" attitude that too many Californians had about too many things, and one of the worst things I ever saw at UCSB during the 70's that was kinda the follow up to all this ... a lot of folks were doing sex ... because it was the "in" thing to do ... and because "if you had the dope you had the lay" ... with one problem .... it was indiscriminate and down right ugly ... and I know a lot of people that did things they did not want to do, and they still feel bad about it ... because they were forced by the social milieu and they did not have inner strength to stand up against it!

I loved the arts my generation created, and Frank is a part of that as well ... I deplore the sad and ugly and disgusting way that it was killed by the media ... and continues to be killed by the media, and in the end, it was the most important and succesfull artistic movement of the 20th century in the arts ... but we're too fucked up and stoned to accept it, believe it, and see it! ... now watch someone trash me for standing up for it all!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
polydigm wrote:

calvin2hikers wrote:
that's how I read it in the first place.

Congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
polydigm wrote:
There is much fulfilment to be gained from a long term relationship with someone who's different enough to make you a versatile team but alike enough in certain fundamental ways to give it a firm foundation and keep it harmonious.
But that implies that something is missing that ought to be present, poly. What of Gail's lack of musical ability? Is there something defective in her brain development that while she may have had the ability to see the benefits of monogamy she had no forte in music. But if Frank had been an honorable gentleman and saw the same benefit he may well have been tone deaf! (Well, we do have W.A. Mozart and his scatologic sexual behavior, Richard Wagner and his fetishistic transvestism and even Sir Isaac Newton and his pyromaniac behavior!)

How does that necessarily follow from what I said? My statement is very general. Fundamental is a very broad term. Also, for example in my case, my wife is not particularly musical while music is my main thing and that doesn't cause much friction at all and isn't a fundamental difference between us.

What I originally meant could be explained as follows. An extreme example of a fundamental difference that might lead to incompatibility could be between a Right to Lifer and a Pro Choicer. Pretty hard to resolve that, hence it's fundamental. Differences that can be resolved without falling out would be by definition, non fundamental.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 am 

Plook wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
She was a fine girl
she do yer laundry
she do the dishes
she change a tire

she go
down

I like the fact that she has a flat spot on her head to carry a basket...what a gal!

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next