Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: south midlands, UK
Nothing wrong with the fat SG sound, but the later fender solos are way more expressive. IMO.
TT
(this been done before? :| )

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2863
Location: Chicago, sort of.
With Frank, I like the SG sound more. That sweathog sound he got was killer. With other guitarists, I tend to go for Strat single coil sounds. Jeff Beck, Jimi, et al.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8845
Location: Wellington New Zealand
To play I prefer the SG's, the Strat just feels cheap somehow. If I'm forced to pick a Fender to play, it's always the black'n'white Tele.....Sound wise, I'm running so many effects pedals it's hard to tell the difference, but the Roxy SG with the switches can very easily produce the single coil sound, I love that thing, it's got a real split personality...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: EINDHOVEN
From a Duckie creator point of view, the SG is more difficult and therefore more interesting to draw. Reason I stopped the Duckies way back was I got tired of drawing Ducks with Fenders.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 2863
Location: Chicago, sort of.
I have both an SG and an Eric Johnson Strat. I love them both, but I like the Strat a bit better because the strap on the SG just doesn't sit right with me. But they both have great sound, great playability, and aren't too heavy. The saying goes that if you have a Les Paul or SG and a good Strat, you've got everything you need guitar-wise. It might just be true. :)

I don't know how you could get a Strat sound from an SG tho.... That might be a stretch.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6937
Location: South wales
I Think the Baby Snakes SG is more single coil effective on the Movie you can see FZ getting clean single tone from SG.

with ennuf effects too kill it of course you can make a SG sound Les Paul or close too Strat.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: south midlands, UK
if you reverse the polarity of a les paul pick up (don't ask me how), you can get a great out of phase sound like a strat - i.e. the peter green sound.
I dont like playing SGs because they are too bottom heavy and I dont like playing les pauls cos of the single cutaway.
I have no problem with strats at all, but nothing beats the plank that is a tele.
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2345
It's like chevy versus ford. Mostly doesn't matter. You can make an sg sound like a strat and you can make a strat sound like an sg. Zappa's best tone is on stuff like Black Napkins and it has to do with effects, choice of notes,attack, amp, condition of guitar etc. but not so much which guitar he used. Single coil or dual coil- it barely matters. You can get a fat mid range sound or a crisp bright sound with either.

The sg might be better for rhythm and the strat for lead. Maybe. It really depends on how and what you play. One good guitar is all any accomplished guitarist really needs. The rest is gravy.

deuce wrote:
I dont like playing SGs because they are too bottom heavy

Plug the fucker into a crybaby and put the pedal all the way down. It's not gonna sound bottom heavy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: Orange County Ca.
I play bass. I have giant hands. When I play guitar I prefer the Gibson's larger neck. When I play a strat my fingers feel more bunched together. So, SG.

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6937
Location: South wales
I sold my USA Strat and Ovation Balladeer for money too get Just a SG Special.
And still what all three Strat for thumb sits nice for bass notes and like low gauge strings,Ovation for it sounds sweet with electric strings and a Wah Wah,SG Chunky sound the treble Pick-up as stranded are shit though plus they don't like thin strings which is gonna take treble away.
Only time a Tele sounds better than a Strat is with Bbender.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2345
cleon wrote:
Only time a Tele sounds better than a Strat is with Bbender.


As if.

It depends who is playing it. How they play it. Why they play it. The tone settings. The effects. The intonation. The strings. The imagination of the player. The inventiveness of the player. The amp. The volume. The skill level......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6937
Location: South wales
downer mydnyte wrote:
cleon wrote:
Only time a Tele sounds better than a Strat is with Bbender.


As if.

It depends who is playing it. How they play it. Why they play it. The tone settings. The effects. The intonation. The strings. The imagination of the player. The inventiveness of the player. The amp. The volume. The skill level......
Which is plain and simple Text no Fucker can take all those words abound and come out Fresh,Thee things a guitar player got going figure it OUT our unless you be under selling you drive and gift :wink:

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: south midlands, UK
deuce wrote:
I dont like playing SGs because they are too bottom heavy

downer mydnyte wrote:
Plug the fucker into a crybaby and put the pedal all the way down. It's not gonna sound bottom heavy.

I mean it physically starts to sink at one end when slung over the shoulder. Maybe a velcro strap would sort that.
T

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 4873
Location: Orange County Ca.
deuce wrote:
deuce wrote:
I dont like playing SGs because they are too bottom heavy

downer mydnyte wrote:
Plug the fucker into a crybaby and put the pedal all the way down. It's not gonna sound bottom heavy.

I mean it physically starts to sink at one end when slung over the shoulder. Maybe a velcro strap would sort that.
T

He means the weight distribution of the guitar, dm.

_________________
Manny da camper wants to buy some white!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2345
Oh. In that case the crybaby probably won't help. I suppose Deuce could sit down when he plays the sg, but he might turn into a prog rocker. Deuce, do you own a sequined cape?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: south midlands, UK
Not yet - I'm looking on ebay for one right now.
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8845
Location: Wellington New Zealand
I can do you a deal on a pair of custom made tights and a slightly used wrist array


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: EINDHOVEN
I could make you one!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
My first serious electric was a 1964 SG, which I got in 1980. After struggling with it for 3 years, I had to conclude that we would never get a pleasant relationship. I bought it, of course, because, Frank played it, but I found it very difficult to master. I couldn't get it properly adjusted, so it was mostly just a hassle. So I bought a 335 copy (made by Japanese Westone - "Rainbow 1"). It outplayed the SG in all dimensions, so when short for money in 1987, I sold the SG.

Today I have the Westone (which still is a great guitar with some novelty following), but I mourn (with my now better financial position) that I let the SG go. It looked beautiful, but I have never since wanted to get one. So I am more into archtops or Fenders. Things just flow for me on those instruments that it never did on the SG. But boy, I'd wish to get into a time machine and check it out today!!!!

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 8845
Location: Wellington New Zealand
HJ wrote:
My first serious electric was a 1964 SG, which I got in 1980. After struggling with it for 3 years, I had to conclude that we would never get a pleasant relationship. I bought it, of course, because, Frank played it, but I found it very difficult to master. I couldn't get it properly adjusted, so it was mostly just a hassle. So I bought a 335 copy (made by Japanese Westone - "Rainbow 1"). It outplayed the SG in all dimensions, so when short for money in 1987, I sold the SG.

Today I have the Westone (which still is a great guitar with some novelty following), but I mourn (with my now better financial position) that I let the SG go. It looked beautiful, but I have never since wanted to get one. So I am more into archtops or Fenders. Things just flow for me on those instruments that it never did on the SG. But boy, I'd wish to get into a time machine and check it out today!!!!


I can highly recommend the FZ Roxy SG....a year or so before Gibson got off their arses and finaly produced the Roxy I had weakened and got a cherry 61 heritage reissue SG great guitar blah blah blah, then out comes the Roxy, which due to a comedy of errors and my @#%$&%$# local Gibson agent stalling me for a few Months I almost missed out on....I ended up cutting out those guys and importing one myself through Sam Ash Music in Hicksville (no really) New York. Compared to the cherry, the Roxy feels quite different to play it's hard to believe they are both SG's, fast comfortable neck, it just feels more natural somehow. The cherry is pretty much retired now....So HJ if you can find one and you've got the euros.....Go man go.... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2346
Location: Europe
Gray_Ghost wrote:
HJ wrote:
My first serious electric was a 1964 SG, which I got in 1980. After struggling with it for 3 years, I had to conclude that we would never get a pleasant relationship. I bought it, of course, because, Frank played it, but I found it very difficult to master. I couldn't get it properly adjusted, so it was mostly just a hassle. So I bought a 335 copy (made by Japanese Westone - "Rainbow 1"). It outplayed the SG in all dimensions, so when short for money in 1987, I sold the SG.

Today I have the Westone (which still is a great guitar with some novelty following), but I mourn (with my now better financial position) that I let the SG go. It looked beautiful, but I have never since wanted to get one. So I am more into archtops or Fenders. Things just flow for me on those instruments that it never did on the SG. But boy, I'd wish to get into a time machine and check it out today!!!!


I can highly recommend the FZ Roxy SG....a year or so before Gibson got off their arses and finaly produced the Roxy I had weakened and got a cherry 61 heritage reissue SG great guitar blah blah blah, then out comes the Roxy, which due to a comedy of errors and my @#%$&%$# local Gibson agent stalling me for a few Months I almost missed out on....I ended up cutting out those guys and importing one myself through Sam Ash Music in Hicksville (no really) New York. Compared to the cherry, the Roxy feels quite different to play it's hard to believe they are both SG's, fast comfortable neck, it just feels more natural somehow. The cherry is pretty much retired now....So HJ if you can find one and you've got the euros.....Go man go.... :wink:

If I ever "go SG" it should definitely be with that one. Thanks for the tip - nice to know it doesn't feel like an SG :D

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SG versus strat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 am
Posts: 4
SG always, the solo's and sonic textures were much richer imo.

I read a Zappa interview with Guitar World and he said that the SG had a better neck for soloing (but weighed a tonne on stage)
While the Strat was more versatile and had a whammy bar (boing ding ding ding-ding-ding, boing ding ding ding-ding-ding).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group