Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Allman Brothers Band
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 am 

Saw their 200th show at the Beacon Theatre last night. They were way better than I expected. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes were very very good. Dr. John sat in for a few.

Post subject: Re: Allman Brothers Band
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:10 am 

Derek is monster on slide, his band is brilliant

Post subject: Re: Allman Brothers Band
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 am 

The Allmans seem to have a knack for attracting talented guitarists. Warren is awsome, but who would have suspected that young Trucks would have turned out to be the great gutiarist he has become? I don't think it is nepotism that he has a spot in the line-up. He has proven he deserves it. He was even touring with Clapton for a while and exchanging licks onstage. Isn't that a dream come true for a young up and coming guitar player?

I am curious about the rift between Dickie Betts and Gregg Allman that resulting in his being fired from the band. Gregg claims that Betts' guitar chops are not what they used to be. Upon firing Betts, he told him to just listen to the tapes, to which Betts resopnded he found no problem with the playing on the tapes.

I know Betts had a problem with alcohol that may have affected his playing, but he seems to continue working and I have heard of no one else say anything negative about his guitar playing. Betts stepped up in the early 70's after Duane died and almost appeared to have taken a leadrship role in the band. He was writing big hits and singing lead on Rambin' Man, and Blue Sky, as well as writing and playing guitar on several instrumentals like Jessica. During that time the attention seemed to be on him more than on Gregg, who had drug problems of his own that resulted in his turning states evidence to avoid jail and the breakup of the band for a while. Has Betts' skills deteriated, or is Allman just tired of him and maybe a little jealous?