Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:21 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I really do not listen to rap but here is an old one for you guys to find and listen to, Keefe Hartley Band; The Time Is Near, from the album of the same name, when you finish with that give Dreams a go, the tune would be, Crunchy Granola Suite.

then just put on any Hermeto and forget about the rap for a while your ears will thank you.

How are you on R&B, a lot of elements in rock are based on it and R&B since the 90's has incorporated elements of rap?

:smoke:

Listen to keefe hartley and tell me what you think

Excellent music, but it is obvious you are stuck...its like seeing only one color in a rainbow full of colors...go forth my man and explore the world we have been given to enjoy...and when you drink beer, drink XX.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm 

Plook wrote:
manichispanic wrote:
i'm suprised nobody's brought up the beastie boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8euw_zmvjHo

their 2nd album "pauls' boutique" revolutionized sampling. it's my fav of all of their albums

I am not so sure anyone could take the claim of sampling king away from Big Audio Dynamite (founded by Mick Jones of the Clash), the album Megatop Phoenix released in 1989 is a tour de force of sampling and uses parts of Music, Poetry, Movies, Plays, you name it, it has actually everything but the kitchen sink...Oh I take that back...I think there is a kitchen sink in there somewhere. And yes on the song "James Brown" Mick Jones does a rap segment...

Overview - It was produced by Mick Jones and Bill Price. It was recorded and mixed by Bill Price at Konk Studios North London, assisted by George Holt and Fintan McDonald. It was compiled at Air Studios in the West End assisted by Andy Strange and mastered by Jacko at Tape One. The cover was designed by Bullitt and Big Audio Dynamite. Photos were by Dan Donovan assisted by Mark Bromfield. In 1990 Mick Jones formed Big Audio Dynamite II with totally different members. The phoenix in the title is a reference to a near-death experience of Jones, who had nearly died of pneumonia before recording the album but successfully recovered.

Track listingSide one
No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Start" Big Audio Dynamite 0:14
2. "Rewind" Big Audio Dynamite 4:35
3. "All Mink & No Manners" Big Audio Dynamite 0:41
4. "Union, Jack" Jones/Letts/Williams 6:04
5. "Contact" Jones/Donovan 4:42
6. "Dragon Town" Jones/Letts/Roberts/Williams 4:46
7. "Baby, Don't Apologise" Jones/Letts 4:51
8. "Is Yours Working Yet?" Big Audio Dynamite 1:03
9. "Around the Girl in 80 Ways" Jones/Letts 3:30

Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length
10. "James Brown" Jones/Letts 5:08
11. "Everybody Needs a Holiday" Jones/Letts 5:33
12. "Mick's a Hippie Burning" Big Audio Dynamite 2:31
13. "House Arrest" Jones/Letts/Roberts/Donovan 3:59
14. "The Green Lady" Jones/Letts/Roberts 3:43
15. "London Bridge" Jones/Letts/Roberts 3:50
16. "Stalag 123" Jones/Letts/Roberts 3:11
17. "End" Big Audio Dynamite 0:34

Samples - The album makes copious use of sampling from various musical and other sources. Many of the tracks listed are created mainly from samples. Some of the samples are identified with their source below.

"Start" - Opening moments of Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death
"Union, Jack" - Rule Britannia, Charlie Watt's drum opening from The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Woman, Richard II and "You wouldn't know Karl Marx from a toffee apple" - from the film Britannia Hospital
"Contact" - Brief use of the main riff from "I Can't Explain" by The Who
"Dragon Town" - George Formby from "Mr Wu's a window cleaner now"
"Is Yours Working Yet?" - Alfred Hitchcock
"Around the Girl in 80 Ways" - Right Said Fred, by Bernard Cribbins
"James Brown" - "Living in America" by James Brown
"Micks a Hippie Burning" - Digging a hole, again by Bernard Cribbins and Withnail and I
"London Bridge" - London Pride by Noel Coward.
"Stalag 123" - The Great Escape Theme Music
"End" - Listen With Mother
According to The NME review of 2/9/1989 there are also samples of Arthur Scargill and BAD interviews.

Personnel
Mick Jones - vocals, guitar, producer
Don Letts - sound effects, vocals
Greg Roberts - drums, vocals
Leo 'E-Zee-Kill' Williams - bass, vocals
Dan Donovan - keyboards, photography, vocals
Flea - sound effects
Bill Price - producer, engineer, mixing
George Holt - assistant engineer, mixing assistant
Andy Strange - compilation assistant

Uno mas tempo...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm 

Arrested Development had some nice rap songs.......... and they are not about bling, going to the club, or beating the shit out of someone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefdFSrfhu8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mkW-vhPBo&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ZXrnz30yI&feature=related

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 am 

I think not Plook, listen to some Ted Kooshian ,Standard Orbit Quartet, perhaps Tal Wilkenfeld, maybe the new release from Bobby Hutcherson, Or Airto,there is Alias Smith& Lane, now scramble for the google search to see who these musicians are. By the way you musical midget you asked an idiotic question if I was into R&B, well Keefe Hartley was the premier drummer for John Mayall for years ain't that R&B enough for you? No it is time for you to give the rap a break and listen to some new music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 am 

...speaking of which I am listening to a crystalline 1974 Oregon from a recent German radio broadcast... Ah!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I think not Plook, listen to some Ted Kooshian ,Standard Orbit Quartet, perhaps Tal Wilkenfeld, maybe the new release from Bobby Hutcherson, Or Airto,there is Alias Smith& Lane, now scramble for the google search to see who these musicians are. By the way you musical midget you asked an idiotic question if I was into R&B, well Keefe Hartley was the premier drummer for John Mayall for years ain't that R&B enough for you? No it is time for you to give the rap a break and listen to some new music.

John Mayall is one of my favorites, R&B influenced but definitely not Motown...I was brought up on Rock & Roll and Big Band Music, but we had radios back then and listen to top 40 and bands that could not make the radio also (Funkadelic comes to mind), but R&B is The Spinners, Marvin Gay, Ike & Tina, Otis Redding, etc. I just like to listen to everything and get the widest input as possible and I will be checking out the music you suggested because I like good music as much as you. I can except your reluctance to broaden your horizons, but don't put me down for trying to help you out. A lot of Franks musical barbs depended on his audience awareness of the very music he was taking a shot at, otherwise the genius of his musical & lyrical satire would be lost on the listener.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:30 am 

I consider rap as one tenth of one percent of the world of music, i am willing to forgo the pain, if you think rap broadens ones horizons to such a large extent then why spend so much time on this forum go get jiggy wit it on some rap forum, also you are confusing r&b with soul, lets have an example of your taste in big band.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm 

I am definitely not into rap, but my sons introduced me to Hilltop Hoods, an Australian hip hop outfit and some of their stuff is good I think. Definitely not "gangstas", just the opposite, they're very socially conscious. This following song is an autobiographical number:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 pm 

Devil Went Down to Georgia eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Z7xlMb9B0

This bad ass drumline kicked our ass in 80. so we took their instructor in 82 and then won 4 years straight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:22 am 

I think Bravo and Lumpy should listen to what they want to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Dam Cal where you been hidding, and never have truer words been spoken?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:48 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I consider rap as one tenth of one percent of the world of music, i am willing to forgo the pain, if you think rap broadens ones horizons to such a large extent then why spend so much time on this forum go get jiggy wit it on some rap forum, also you are confusing r&b with soul, lets have an example of your taste in big band.

I have mentined before that my dad was older when he had me (almost 40) and he was a WWII vet and he was all about big band all the usual suspects Tommy Dorsey & his brother, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, etc.. I can't name them all but I heard them all.

Soul is a part of R&B just listen to your local R&B channel and I am sure you will be surprised at the diverse play list.

I still think that evryone may be inturpreting the nature of rap differently, I do not consider a song that incorporates an element of Rap as a Rap song, a good example would be the link "Kutiman-Thru-you - 03 - I'm New" elemnt of Rap but the music can not be catagorized as such, this is type of music I have been talking about. Not Straight Rap although there are songs I like in that catagory (not a bunch though).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 am 

Yea you probably like King Tut, steve martin, so I am betting you also get into disco. As for big band pick up a copy of MF horn great lp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I agree with this of course, but if you'd been following the history of this conversation, you'd know this is not something that anyone was trying to force on Bravo, and Lumpy added himself to the mix. So, they're both willing participants.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:12 pm 

polydigm wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I agree with this of course, but if you'd been following the history of this conversation, you'd know this is not something that anyone was trying to force on Bravo, and Lumpy added himself to the mix. So, they're both willing participants.

Well I can't think of anything to add. I know and like some rap, but I can't imagine everybody having my taste.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Well I can't think of anything to add. I know and like some rap, but I can't imagine everybody having my taste.
If everyone tasted like you, there would be significantly fewer marriages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

No need being a dick about, it doesn't fit you well...Disco Rocks some of Zappas biggest hits came off that...some of the funnest times I had were being a long haired surfer stud and going to the Disco, pulled some fish out of those waters...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:25 pm 

Two words: William Fucking Shatner...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:43 am 

Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

No need being a dick about, it doesn't fit you well...Disco Rocks some of Zappas biggest hits came off that...some of the funnest times I had were being a long haired surfer stud and going to the Disco, pulled some fish out of those waters...

+
Did you say some ao FZ's biggest hits were disco? So do you still surf? How about sail? When I am not hunting I am flying hulls.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:13 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Plook wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

+
Did you say some ao FZ's biggest hits were disco? So do you still surf? How about sail? When I am not hunting I am flying hulls.

Yes I did, Bobby Brown was a huge Disco song and was especially loved at the Gay Disco's.

I last surfed in 2004 and relized without being able to go more than twice a year I would not be able to maintian good paddeling muscles and for my safety have not been in the water since, unfortunately so ended a 30 year surfing career.

I love sailing I have not been on a sail boat of any type for at least 20 years, my neighbor had a sail boat based out of Belmont Shores and it was wonderful, but even better my sisters first husband had a Catamaran, holy crap was that thing the shit...a major loss when they divorced.

I don't know about flying hulls, but when I would stay during the summer on a farm near the Ozarks in Missouri as a young boy I could "bark" a squirrel from 50' and I shot a groundhog from over 150 yards and the bullet went in one eye and came out the other. I accidently shot a Chipmink when UI was 12 and felt so bad I have never hunted any animals again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 am 

Plook wrote:
Bobby Brown was a huge Disco song and was especially loved at the Gay Disco's.

And in Germany in non-gay discos (though they didn't understand the words).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 am 

Sounds like you should have stopped hunting, groundhogs are not good eating.
As for flying hulls that refers to catamaran sailing, raising one hull in good wind gives better speed and fun, sounds like you spend too much time with rap & disco, you know bobby brown, and valley girl are satire, now Big Swifty....that's the good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:15 am 

Reading through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the most futile in the whole history of the Zappa forum...
Which is why I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:03 pm 

...and that's the way I like it :singing: Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:07 pm 

Me to ,can't wait for squirrel season.