Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 am 

I'm hoping it won't be in the same vein as Nigey Lennon's crap but from the product description it sounds promising:

http://www.amazon.com/Freak-Out-Life-Fr ... 673&sr=1-1

Quote:
In 1967, 21-year-old Pauline Butcher was working for a London secretarial agency when one evening a call came through from a Mr Frank Zappa asking for a typist to come to his hotel room. The assignment would change her life forever.

After this chance encounter with the charismatic musician, at Frank’s request Pauline moved with him, his family and his band the Mothers of Invention to a log cabin in the Hollywood Hills. There, the “straight” young English girl from Twickenham spent her days in the company of a succession of famous names, mixing with Oscar winners and rock royalty, including Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithfull, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Captain Beefheart and Tiny Tim. Often working nights and sleeping days, for three years Pauline served as Zappa’s secretary, running his fan club, the United Mutations, and organising rehearsals, live appearances and recording sessions for the GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously), an all-female rock act supported and produced by Zappa.

Freak Out! is the captivating story of a naive young English girl thrust into the mad world of a musical legend. A vivid depiction of the late sixties rock’n’roll scene and the stark realities behind Hollywood’s perceived glamour, this memoir is also the most revealing and intimate portrait of Frank Zappa ever written.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 am 

Sounds good, will have to check this out... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 am 

40 years after the fact, I'm not holding my breath for too much in the way of accuracy.

What next. An expose by the man who used to cut the grass?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 am 

Could be interesting. As his personal secretary, she was an insider who could provide us with a different perspective from that time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm 

Quote:
Freak Out! is the captivating story of a naive young English girl thrust into the mad world of a musical legend. A vivid depiction of the late sixties rock’n’roll scene and the stark realities behind Hollywood’s perceived glamour, this memoir is also the most revealing and intimate portrait of Frank Zappa ever written.
wow... can't wait... (for how long did she work for zappa?)

Quilt wrote:
40 years after the fact, I'm not holding my breath for too much in the way of accuracy.
methinks someone adviced her to write this, to improve her meager british pension... I mean, why would she wait so long?
I'm not expecting anything special from this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:21 am 

I've heard that she charges that Sir Francis Bacon wrote all of Frank's music.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 pm 

Quilt wrote:

They could call it "He was a very nice boy" :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 pm 

Quilt wrote:

Time ... is an illusion. If you think you can forget ... or later tell yourself and others that you weren't there ... I'm gonna suggest you are another one of those ... I didn't inhale ... type of person!

The worst part of all this, is that Gail is living a bit of a fantasy, and hell at the same time, and she could really put a stop on all this by laying down the book herself ... and have fun from her OWN day 1 ... which was almost the same thing as this secretary's wording as above, as far as I can see. But I think Gail might be embarassed if she had to be honest with herself and say, for example, that the sex was too good and fun, and things just happened from there ... there is nothing wrong with that ... it happened to quite a few of us too! ... but it would be a concern for people that might think that ... yeah ... she wouldn't know A from Bmaj or Min ... and should not be in control of the legacy! Now ... things can get really bad ... it is her family and she has the right!

But it also tells you that there is/was a lot about Frank, that Gail herself is not capable of talking about ... for whatever reason ... because many people might say ... something else, or something not nice ... after all ... look at this board here ... there is no middle ground and there are a lot of upset folks ...

What the heck ... I would rather that Pam woke up and stopped being a republican bitch that is playing the game "I didn't inhale it" (by saying I didn't have sex!) ... and help put a lot more things in perspective that are not visible, and sometimes I think that Gail is hoping that some of those things never come out ... or heaven forbid ... that the world never think of Miss Pam as a slut! ... who cares who you slept with ... but there is a lot more about that time and place that is historical and shows something about the art and the music ... and in the end, it was ... no one gave a shit ... people were just getting laid and getting stoned? Fuck th emusic? ... because that is what is happening with the legacy of a lot of these people in those very days ... same thing has happened, and is happening, with Jerry Garcia!

Shall I say ... I hope she was a good poke/toke and fun? ... because she's trying to collect her orgasm now a few years this late? I have not met very many people around Frank's world that can talk about the music ... with intelligent knowledge of music and history and understanding of the arts around that music ... and I seriously doubt that a "secretary" is going to make that history any better and help provide the understanding that will help this legacy better ... instead of simply catering to the pop-guitar fans!

Last edited by Moshkito on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I've heard that she charges that Sir Francis Bacon wrote all of Frank's music.

Bullshit.

I heard that she charged Sir Francis Bacon way too much for her services! (... we aint'd discussing them!... ... funny neither did Pam!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 am 

I joined the United Mutations in 1968. With my application, I drew a picture of Zappa and sent that as well. Well...about a month later, I get the package (I wish I still had this stuff!) with photos, membership card, the questionaires written by The Mothers. And a hand written note from Pauline!
She thanked me for sending the picture and that she showed it to Frank and he liked it too.
She sounded very nice in the note she wrote. I was in shock for the rest of day over this. :mrgreen:
I'd like to read her book.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Quote:
]wow... can't wait... (for how long did she work for zappa?)

You couldn't even read the entire post, but you're gonna read a book?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:30 pm 

I want the book about the '88 tour.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:27 am 

KillUgly wrote:

:D

All being well, it will be out in paperback in November (2011).

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

:D

All being well, it will be out in paperback in November (2011).

Great! I wish you well then. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:28 pm 

Pauline has a page on FaceBook for her tome, with some passages included. It's taken from her diaries, from what I gather, and other rememberances. Very interesting, she worked for Frank 1968-1972, a very fruitful time for him. Not sure if this will also include any tawdry bits, don't get that vibe--however---on the back jacket, a quote by Frank (in big type) "Do you think if we f*cked (their asterisk, not mine), you would still be my secretary?" Kind of funny, perhaps he came on to her, or was just joking around, if she accepted or not, remains to be seen. The blurbs say it centers on the comings and goings of famous musicians, The GTO's, The Mothers, and Pauline finding herself in this "strange" world. I may flip through it when it comes out in the bookstore before buying it---okay, I'll most likely purchase it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
Pauline has a page on FaceBook for her tome, with some passages included. It's taken from her diaries, from what I gather, and other rememberances. Very interesting, she worked for Frank 1968-1972, a very fruitful time for him. Not sure if this will also include any tawdry bits, don't get that vibe--however---on the back jacket, a quote by Frank (in big type) "Do you think if we f*cked (their asterisk, not mine), you would still be my secretary?" Kind of funny, perhaps he came on to her, or was just joking around, if she accepted or not, remains to be seen. The blurbs say it centers on the comings and goings of famous musicians, The GTO's, The Mothers, and Pauline finding herself in this "strange" world. I may flip through it when it comes out in the bookstore before buying it---okay, I'll most likely purchase it. :wink:

You know you will Dove!

Here's the link to the Facebook page, some little tidbits are there:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Freak-Out-My-Life-With-Frank-Zappa-by-Pauline-Butcher/224388334279391

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 pm 

I'll buy it. I hope I will like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:09 am 

I've pre-ordered this tasty little sucker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 am 

If you have a look at Pauline Birds Facebook page, as well as the FB page of the book (link referenced earlier) It is worth noting that she kept a diary and wrote letters home, quite lengthy ones, 20 pages long, single spaced and every few weeks. The events may be 40 years ago but not often in the books written about FZ has there been such a source of material to draw upon to bring clarity to the matter. I am very much looking forward in a few days to the book.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:28 pm 

diplomaticpermissiondeepi wrote:
If you have a look at Pauline Birds Facebook page, as well as the FB page of the book (link referenced earlier) It is worth noting that she kept a diary and wrote letters home, quite lengthy ones, 20 pages long, single spaced and every few weeks. The events may be 40 years ago but not often in the books written about FZ has there been such a source of material to draw upon to bring clarity to the matter. I am very much looking forward in a few days to the book.

Well put, it's a must read!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:05 pm 

This book came out in UK on September 5. I'm living in another country and got the book in 3 days with zero shipping fee. Try Book Depository.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 pm 

Woof wrote:
This book came out in UK on September 5. I'm living in another country and got the book in 3 days with zero shipping fee. Try Book Depository.

That is very efficient. You could be one of the earliest. What is your early impression?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:07 am 

I would say it's a good read. This book gives you absolutely original view from a decent British secretay, who wasn't any freak, groupie, or musician, and who happened just to live and work in Zappa's house several years.

Here you can read some funny short stories taken from this book: http://www.afka.net/Books/Freak_Out.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:44 am 

I read it when I saw your earlier post (the afka link) I have ordered a copy from the same source, so will be curious to see how fast from Saturday morning. I will still buy from a bookshop if I see it before the posted book hits the doormat, as I believe that one should buy from bookshops.

I nearly forgot, the Afka link should try and connect to her 2 facebook pages, as there is a lot of extra information happening all the time as she publishes extracts directly from her diaries and responds to messages, in fact she indicates that there are quotes which are the wrong way round (or something amiss), so she could instantly publish corrections! Her book is based on diaries and letters so in effect the facebook accounts are different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:08 am 

Those short anecdotes interest me, they seem like 'slice of life' vignettes. I would be interested in that kind of book. More 'fly on the wall' less tortured analytical meanderings (read "The Dialectics of Poodle Play").