Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 am 

Just finished it. A very fun read. Her writing is very good, although the editig is a bit sloppy here and there. The book gives you a clear understanding of what life was like in the log cabin. She doesn't hesitate to scrape a few personalities were needed. It remains however a "girls" book in that the descriptions of people and places are laced with emotion. Her relationship with FZ was as close as someone could get i would say.

I asked Gail about the book a few months ago...here is her answer....

On Jul 6, 2011, TheAcadian wrote:

Hi Gail, Dave the Acadian here
I've got a few minutes here and was wondering if you had any remarks concerning
the little book by Pauline Butcher.

I do not know anything about a little book. Presumably you are referring to something concerning FZ? If so, Pauline has not seen fit to send me a copy or to clear anything such as the use of the name, image or copyrighted materials used in a commercial manner. Mayhap there are none? Do you have any remarks?

Questions questions questions.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 am 

Here's an interview Pauline did for the BBC World Service: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k8trw

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:17 am 

Got it today! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm 

I've read the first two chapters. Granted, it's still very early. But I have to warn folks that this is a book about the author more than FZ. We hear when she got up in the morning, what makeup she wears, what her mother says, what she felt on her walks, what she's wearing, and blah blah blah. Be forewarned that, if you're like me, you'll need to put on some hip boots and wade through some real boring stuff to access the FZ nuggets. Unless you want to hear about her, in which case I think you'll be very contented.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:42 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Here's an interview Pauline did for the BBC World Service: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k8trw

Thanks for the link. She seems pleasant and paints a nice picture of Frank.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:10 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Just finished it. A very fun read. Her writing is very good, although the editig is a bit sloppy here and there. The book gives you a clear understanding of what life was like in the log cabin. She doesn't hesitate to scrape a few personalities were needed. It remains however a "girls" book in that the descriptions of people and places are laced with emotion. Her relationship with FZ was as close as someone could get i would say.

I do not know anything about a little book. Presumably you are referring to something concerning FZ? If so, Pauline has not seen fit to send me a copy or to clear anything such as the use of the name, image or copyrighted materials used in a commercial manner. Mayhap there are none? Do you have any remarks?

Geeezzzzz!!!! Give me a fucking break! What a special ga(i)l.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 am 

KillUgly wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Hey there is no doubt she is the gate keeper for the trust and she is doing due dilligence, I know she may be going overboard at times, but I can't fault someone who is doing their job and doing it well...

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:53 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I've read the first two chapters. Granted, it's still very early. But I have to warn folks that this is a book about the author more than FZ. We hear when she got up in the morning, what makeup she wears, what her mother says, what she felt on her walks, what she's wearing, and blah blah blah. Be forewarned that, if you're like me, you'll need to put on some hip boots and wade through some real boring stuff to access the FZ nuggets. Unless you want to hear about her, in which case I think you'll be very contented.

Well what do you expect? Its not a FZ biog, its about her time working for him.
Actually you paint a boring picture. I don't read books but this has been far from boring. Granted she, like I, is English and her outlook is very English. I like that, I like the angle she presents. Its given me a nice and far more intimate peep in to Frank and his daily routine. I hope more folks who worked with FZ write about their side, fascinating stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:57 am 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Hey there is no doubt she is the gate keeper for the trust and she is doing due dilligence, I know she may be going overboard at times, but I can't fault someone who is doing their job and doing it well...

:smoke:

What was the quote in the book? Something like "Gail has 3 speeds, slow, very slow and stop".
I think that sums it. Sure, she deserves some credit but she really hasn't got a fucking clue when it comes to managing her business.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:16 am 

This is similar to some of the ZFT's (Gail's) position toward tribute bands, but of this I am even more certain: Pauline Butcher does not need Gail Zappa's permission to write and publish a book.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am 

Do we need Gail's permission to read the book?
Any lawyers here?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:55 pm 

You know earlier today I had to take a shit but then I thought, "Oh, no. I might have to assume a stance similar to the one Frank Zappa takes on the famous Phi Zappa Krappa poster". I was very troubled about this. Do I need the ZFT's permission and if granted permission do I have to pay royalties?" For the time being I think I've solved the problem by crapping from a standing position, slighty crouching, but buttocks not touching the toilet seat. I don't want to keep this up forever though as I'm getting older and I think this might cause back problems eventually. Any legal advice out there?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 am 

Ringo wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Actually you paint a boring picture. I don't read books but this has been far from boring. Granted she, like I, is English and her outlook is very English. I like that, I like the angle she presents. Its given me a nice and far more intimate peep in to Frank and his daily routine. I hope more folks who worked with FZ write about their side, fascinating stuff.

Here here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:46 am 

KillUgly wrote:
You know earlier today I had to take a shit but then I thought, "Oh, no. I might have to assume a stance similar to the one Frank Zappa takes on the famous Phi Zappa Krappa poster". I was very troubled about this. Do I need the ZFT's permission and if granted permission do I have to pay royalties?" For the time being I think I've solved the problem by crapping from a standing position, slighty crouching, but buttocks not touching the toilet seat. I don't want to keep this up forever though as I'm getting older and I think this might cause back problems eventually. Any legal advice out there?

Yeah, stop eating and then you won't need to crap 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:27 am 

KillUgly wrote:

LMAO... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:43 am 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:

LMAO... :lol:

Guess you won't be taking a shit, either, then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm 

Not finished to read her book yet but its very interresting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:39 am 

So far the most interesting part of the book is the descriptions of the log cabin and what life was like in there and her dueling with Gail. I guess Gail's job always has been that of door keeper and guardian wherever she could excercise that authority. If that counts towards understanding how things are now, that makes it a valuable book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:31 pm 

I read No Commercial Potential years ago and very much enjoyed it. David Walley did a good job with it. I received Dangerous Kitchen as a gift a few years ago. It has moments, but the author Kevin Courrier must have worshipped Frank. He has something flattering to say about everything Frank ever wrote. He likes to think he, and only he, knew what Frank was trying to say with every song he wrote. Gets pretty tiring after awhile. I pick it up now and then and slug through another chapter. I'm sure I'll re-read No Commercial Potential some day, but if ever make it through Dangerous Kitchen, I'll never pick it up again. Well maybe......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 am 

New book out next month about the size of my dick. 3000 pages long! :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:55 pm 

Steven Tyler did "My big ten inch,", I loved it, for some reason, the song seemed pure, lots of innocent :!: fun, and play.

And, this is of interest, Steven Tyler's father, attended Julliard, like Frank Zappa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 am 

Ringo wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Agreed! I'm not a book reader either and I too have found this one fascinating. Par-line has a unique perspective on Frank, not only having worked for him but lived with him, Gail, the Mothers, Calvin etc... I find her stories refreshing and her portrayals rich in detail. I give it a hearty 2 thumbs up.
:mrgreen:
Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am 

I'll give her two thumbs up her poop chute!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 am 

massagio wrote:
I'll give her two thumbs up her poop chute!

You'll need to come up with a name for that one. Preferably one with Conceptual Continuity.
:P
Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 pm 

The Tweezer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next