It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
The Tweezer?

Good one!
:wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 pm 

I just finished this reading book this recently.

I felt Pauline gave a fresh perspective on the bohemian existence of Frank, his family, friends, foes, the then current culture status of Los Angeles and of course, her own unique experiences of becoming very good friends with and working for FZ as his personal assistant from 1967-1971. There were a multitude of fascinating stories. Whether it was the Zappa family's seemingly unwillingness to lock any of the main doors at the log cabin, which invited anyone to walk in and socialize, including some who wouldn't have been invited if it were by choice, to celebrity visitors (Jagger, Faithful, Wright, Waters, Gilmour, Beck, Clapton, etc.) chatting away with Frank until the early hours of the mornings. Or how Butcher painstakingly described the working dynamics of Zappa & The Mothers and the GTOs - where she played a pivotal role in the development of the group. Not to mention the countless other great stories included therein. And the selection of black & white pics are a great touch too.

The only downside to the book for me, was Butcher's tendency to over-analyze problematic situations that consequently lead to her inferring too often. But after all, the book was written by a female. :wink:

I HIGHLY recommend this book.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 am 

I got the Book for Christmas and just started it, I am pleased so far... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
The only downside to the book for me, was Butcher's tendency to over-analyze problematic situations that consequently lead to her inferring too often. But after all, the book was written by a female. :wink:

(kicks Disco Boy's butt)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:58 pm 

easy read, entertaining & the british perspective and vocabulary use keep it interesting; excellent photos not previously published

the only slightly weird thing is the how much detail is included for events that took place over 40 years ago, like what was eaten for breakfast, what clothes were worn, some of the dialog, what music was played etc... the dedication explains this; she wrote many letters home and her mom kept them all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 pm 

I have been reading lots of Rock and Roll biographies lately. I read one on Zappa several months ago. I thought it was OK.

I read one on Country Joe, and was very disappointed, because I am sure his life is more interesting than the author told. The person who wrote this was an old Navy buddy, who became a school principle, but had no writing skill at all, seems like he did this all in one night.

I am reading, now about Captain Beefheart, and love it. This is one of the best biographies I have come across. The writer is knowledgeable, has an extremely good sense of humor :lol: , and is detailed about music, and terminology. Check him out, Barnes, is the writer.

I find it somewhat unusual that Don and Frank grew up near each other, and met in the early 60's. This seems like the stars had predestined them to create music, and make penetrating social statements. Meeting each other, must have been an affirmation, that they were both on the right track. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
easy read, entertaining & the british perspective and vocabulary use keep it interesting; excellent photos not previously published

the only slightly weird thing is the how much detail is included for events that took place over 40 years ago, like what was eaten for breakfast, what clothes were worn, some of the dialog, what music was played etc... the dedication explains this; she wrote many letters home and her mom kept them all

I am also impressed with the level of detail, but she keept a diary and fancied herself a writter so I am sure it would be full of manusha and I suspect the Letters (some were mentioned to be 23 pages single space) must oozz with mundane detials such as these...

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:14 am 

donalynette wrote:
I have been reading lots of Rock and Roll biographies lately. I read one on Zappa several months ago. I thought it was OK.

I read one on Country Joe, and was very disappointed, because I am sure his life is more interesting than the author told. The person who wrote this was an old Navy buddy, who became a school principle, but had no writing skill at all, seems like he did this all in one night.

I am reading, now about Captain Beefheart, and love it. This is one of the best biographies I have come across. The writer is knowledgeable, has an extremely good sense of humor :lol: , and is detailed about music, and terminology. Check him out, Barnes, is the writer.

I find it somewhat unusual that Don and Frank grew up near each other, and met in the early 60's. This seems like the stars had predestined them to create music, and make penetrating social statements. Meeting each other, must have been an affirmation, that they were both on the right track. :wink:

What penetrating social statements did Don make?
Most of his lyrics sound like gibberish-nothing wrong with that, but for a statement to be penetrating, surely it's got to be coherent....

Not trying to start a fight-I like some of his stuff, read the book etc but I don't know what the fuck his songs are about for the most part.
:?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm 

i should finish it i have like 20 pages left :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am 

Tuesday 24-4-2012 5:26am

Just finished Par-leen's enjoyable book. Yet another take on the colourful late 60's Laurel Canyon and log cabin life style, a worthy addition to the FZ library.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm 

ZutboF wrote:

OMG OMG Did you?!?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
ZutboF wrote:

OMG OMG Did you?!?

LMAO! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 pm 

ZutboF wrote: