Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:59 pm 

Is it me, or is she becoming a tad more evasive about stuff? Some of them were downright pointed in the right direction, and she wrote them off as bunk and BS...Her answers about "recordings of indeterminate origin" were pretty off base for these days, the ZFT greed is just amazing! (see the question from the "Deadhead" who mentioned the Dick's Picks series) AND not to mention the amount of money she feels that these releases are worth is unreal!

Personally....the amount of "product" promised has outweighed the amount of product "received", and the pricing of these releases have been off base with anything else out there....Yeah, I agree that Zappa fans are a mighty few compared to mostly anyone else, but one overpriced release every six months isn't going to rejuvenate a dying fanbase! As I read down the list of what is purported to be released throughout the questions, and think of previous Q&A sessions where we got the same promises...I guess that out of MAYBE 10 proposed sets, we'll get two in 2011! I hope I'm wrong!

Yes Gail, there is an AVID trading population out there, the recordings HAVE existed, and for some of us, it's all we can do to get something we haven't heard!

OPEN THE DAMN VAULT ALREADY!!!!

end rant.............

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm 

HI,

With all due respect, it is her family, and her concern, and she has the option and the ability to make the calls ... and that's that. There is no law in the land that says that the fan is in charge of someone's art ... wether you have your preferences or not!

Please have some respect and understanding. I seriously doubt that she is hiding something or trying to deceive the fans ... and probably has a harder time deciding what to release that is in so many versions as to give you a headache!

And to be honest with you, I can understand your plight and I sympathize to a point ... but I do not think you have a right to demand it ... you can ask, however. As a fan, I love listening to it too, and I appreciated a lot of things that have never been released -- the Pink Floyd catalogue on bootlegs from the early days, almost rivals all/any of the Frank Zappa material -- and it will never get a release or an ear as long as Roger Waters lives ... right or wrong ... and Gail has the same right ... it's her art and how she sees it.

I do think that too many "fans" are stuck on the rock music stuff and guitar solos, and I have to tell you that I'm getting tired of those fan'atics demanding satisfaction and I feel like telling them to go to the Metalicca show ... and stop listening to Frank's work ... or go listen to Dream Theater try to do Steve Vai impressions for minutes at a time!

Be thankful that we are getting something, because some other major mofo's don't give a shit ... and we're talking movie studios here that are waiting for more folks to die, so they can keep the money forever after as "owners" of the films. And the artist? ... who gives a fudge ... and this is what the corporate nation that we have created is doing ... and you are bitching at Gail instead!

Sorry ... GZ is not the problem! Your demand is!

Soap Box off/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:49 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:
a dying fanbase

That's it, Jaminenb. Stern, but true. I respect Moshkito's opinions and loyalty, but I do think the only way of rejuvenating that fan base is what you suggest - to open the vault and release much more stuff, in a more systematic way. The idea of low-cost packaging as on Buffalo and Imaginary Diseases is much better than the lavish designs. I'm afraid Gail is stuck in a Hollywood way of thinking about production values. Zappa's genius has as much to do with proficiency, as with perfectionism at every cost. He left a jaw-dropping amount of unique material, and I believe the breadth of it all is his claim to recognition as a major artist. So get the documents out there, I say.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:38 pm 

Douche Bag thread of the decade! This is like saying "Yea I had dinner at your house and your wife cooks like shit."

Fuck you Asshole!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 pm 

you guys and your opinions! *shame on you :roll: *

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
Douche Bag thread of the decade! This is like saying "Yea I had dinner at your house and your wife cooks like shit."

Fuck you Asshole!

I understand that you want to become the new fanboy, when Trendmonger is gone, but there's no need for cussing, is there?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 pm 

I used to collect rare coins. Whenever someone would find a previously-unknown hoard of some rare date coin, they would sell them into the marketplace slowly, one by one, so as not to decrease the value of the date. I think Gail is doing the same "slow release" so she can ride Frank's musical stash for the rest of her days. In other words, she's just looking out for Number 1, and Number 1 ain't you. You're not even Number 2.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm 

Huck_Phlem wrote:

Fuck you Asshole!

Spoken like a true douche bag! Shame you can't even spell phlegm correctly!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:57 pm 

Imagine: Some day every single piece you have ever done will be made public, every cheesy love letter you wrote, every bill you did not pay ... a great idea - especially if you have an addiction to vacuity and nothingness.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:20 am 

RayBuckmiller wrote:
Imagine: Some day every single piece you have ever done will be made public, every cheesy love letter you wrote, every bill you did not pay ... a great idea - especially if you have an addiction to vacuity and nothingness.

I don't know about the love letters, but there's still lots of unreleased FZ stuff that is more valuable than 99% of the music that's already been published by other artists throughout the history of recorded music. You can pick at random from the whole chronology -- http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/chronology/1940-1964.html -- like they're doing now, or you could make a more ambitious plan of releasing everything of value, in different series. I tend to favour the latter approach, because that seems to be the only way to get at some of the more exciting stuff, like massive 30 min + improvisations, those big guitar solos from the late seventies and the like. Look at the way King Crimson is being treated and go ahead!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:09 pm 

Maybe due to the economy and loss's to investments like everyone else, they don't have the where with all to produce releases as quickly as we all want... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 pm 

hey people guess what gz will do what she thinks is best for her and family...i have a fairly large collection of FZ material and always look for new releases,but mostly im interested in getting my hands on the stuff Frank Vincent Zappa released when he was still sticking to the establishment...im sure gz feels the same,why make his music too commercial that just goes against everything FZ ....all i want is 2 get some autographs of frank and family so i can add 2 my overnite sensation tattoo is that 2 much 2 ask...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 am 

Lets face it gang, Rap is what most seem to want, hell obama had a lousy rapper at the whitehouse for his poetry...sheesh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 am 

It's about as shitty as the inbred country mongoloid music that is associated with Republicans. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:37 am 

I hear breitbart is a huge Zappa fan , as is Vince. I mean alice Cooper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I hear breitbart is a huge Zappa fan , as is Vince. I mean alice Cooper

Breitbart must listen to "The Chrome Plated Megaphone of Destiny" while he's editing.

I also found an interesting quote from Alice Cooper as to why he votes Republican...

"Rock should never be in bed with politics... If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal."

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Lets face it gang, Rap is what most seem to want, hell obama had a lousy rapper at the whitehouse for his poetry...sheesh
Anything with a repetitive, unrelenting beat kept to the front of the mix is what most want to hear today because otherwise it becomes confusing and doesn't sound like music because it's been so long that the ravages of the record industry know to keep it the same or risk losing revenue on anything that doesn't conform to the standard everyone is familiar with. Call it rap, hip-hop, techno, trance the commonly shared element is that unchanging bomp, bomp, bomp beat that dominates what is heard. That's what sells, that's what everyone has been introduced to as music and the industry is in no condition to fuck around and flirt with the danger of lost profit. Shit! At this point Eminem is showing originality! Who'd have ever thought :?:

--Batchain
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm 

Batty? Is that really you mate?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:37 pm 

BBP wrote:

I think Bat chain-ged,he's real polite,to polite! Howdy Bat! Where ya been,whadda ya know? :)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:16 pm 

BBP wrote:
'Tis I, 'tis I, Bonny BP! Same desk, same computer, same chair! Missed ya! :D

--Batty :-*

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

I think Bat chain-ged,he's real polite,to polite! Howdy Bat! Where ya been,whadda ya know? :)
Heya KRAP.KIIRK, you ol' anal wart ya! Just fuckin' with the same old shit in another couple of shit houses! What you been fuckin' with and where, KRAP.K? And you got it right! I'm a changed Bat! Like, when I scratch my itchy asshole I don't whiff it and lick the finger anymore I just very politely wipe it on a naykin and put it in my pocket! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

--Batchain :lol: :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:03 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

Heya KRAP.KIIRK, you ol' anal wart ya! Just fuckin' with the same old shit in another couple of shit houses! What you been fuckin' with and where, KRAP.K? And you got it right! I'm a changed Bat! Like, when I scratch my itchy asshole I don't whiff it and lick the finger anymore I just very politely wipe it on a naykin and put it in my pocket! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats our old Bat now! I thought you fell off the Zappa wagon.Glad to see your back in the saddle. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

Not to mention very erudite. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 pm 

Batchain1001 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

Well, never mind. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 am 

KillUgly wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
BBP wrote:

Not to mention very erudite. :D
Now there's nothing unusual at all about reading Baron de Montesquieu while straddling a toilet and scratching your balls! :wink:

--Bat