Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ and Tom Waits
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 pm 

Does anyone know what songs they performed together in '74?

Post subject: Re: FZ and Tom Waits
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:04 am 

I think this is from 1973?

Here's a quote from Waits:
Quote:
"I had to have Frank Zappa on stage to keep the audience from hurting me." Oh, it didn't go over. It was a complete mismatch. We had the same manager [Herb Cohen], and he said, "Aaaargh! Go to Canada with Frank! Frank will treat you right! In fact, go meet Frank in Canada! At a hockey arena!" After my cruel set, after the bleeding had stopped, I came back in the middle of his show and he would play "Ol' 55" and I'd tell a story. I had fun, some nights. But I had to have Frank on stage to keep them from hurting me. They were Frank's people, you know? They didn't want to hear anybody. And they thought that whoever was coming out before Frank, Frank had designed it that way and wanted them to hurt me: pelt me, throw things at me and abuse me. And the chant: "We! Want! Frank!" Or "You suck!" was also a big favourite."

Here's Waits on Fernwood 2 Nite:
http://youtu.be/R_0E7x3Nqys

Maybe someone else has playlists?

Miasma!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:03 am 

Wow, nice find! That's from Southeastern Massachusetts University, in Dartmouth. You're right - 1973.

I knew that Waits opened for him sometimes early on in the Herbie Cohen years. I could just see the Mothers playing Ol' 55 behind Waits' gravelly vocals with catcalls from a small audience. LOL. Waits certainly deserved better in those days, but then Beefheart was booed off the stage at Winterland in '75, so you never know about hostile crowds.

What's cool is that Martin Mull opened for the Mothers on at least one date in '73. He had a stand-up act which included guitar work and satire (predated Steve Martin on that). I recall him playing a Baby Blues song using a baby bottle for a slide.

There's a piece going around called "The 12 Inch", which sounds like just Waits with his piano and maybe a bassline. It's not a good recording, but in some instances it is credited to both Waits and FZ. This could be a simple misattribution.

Waits always struck me as more Beefheart-influenced, especially later on in his career when he was done playing piano bars and tiny clubs.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:47 pm 

WaspManwMetalWings wrote:
There's a piece going around called "The 12 Inch", which sounds like just Waits with his piano and maybe a bassline. It's not a good recording, but in some instances it is credited to both Waits and FZ. This could be a simple misattribution.

There are a couple circulating shows from 74 where FZ's band plays a vamp from "Ol '55" while Waits talks. He tells the "twelve inch prick" joke in at least one of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:03 pm 

What's cool is that Martin Mull opened for the Mothers on at least one date in '73. He had a stand-up act which included guitar work and satire (predated Steve Martin on that). I recall him playing a Baby Blues song using a baby bottle for a slide.

I Woke Up This Afternoon
I Saw Both Cars Were Gone

I Woke Up This Afternoon
I Saw Both Cars Were Gone

I Felt So Low Down Deep Inside
I Threw My Drink Across The Lawn

It was a ukelele and a baby bottle doing fantastic slide work ... funny as hell...saw that tour and the next with His Faboulus Furniture .... killer band that was rumored to be the same guys who started Supertramp ,, never checked, but I doubt it.
8)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 pm 

I found a crappy copy of that recording that made the same claim. I wondered about that.

Miasma!