Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:13 am 
Banned

8)

"Why is there yet another thread regarding Ron Paul?”, you may ask. After all, there are already a jillion other Ron Paul threads to track. If the guy cuts an audible fart during a debate, a new thread pops up in the morning announcing same!

My answer would be that this would be my own redundant "All-Things-Ron Paul" thread.

Now, the way I see it, Ron Paul doesn't stand a chance of winning the presidency unless and until some good editorial cartoons start popping up. Some wise guy once said something like, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." Ron Paul could use some sensational publicity.

If you have an editorial cartoon, please post it here. I'm still looking for some.

8)

In Ron Paul Coins, Federal Agents Don't Trust

As if Ron Paul's supporters needed any more motivation to storm the battlements and wreak havoc on the Republican presidential primary, now comes this: the feds are trying to take away their money.

Federal agents on Wednesday raided the Evansville, Indiana headquarters of the National Organization for the Repeal of the Federal Reserve and Internal Revenue Codes (NORFED), an organization of "sound money" advocates that for the past decade has been selling what it calls Liberty Dollars, a private currency it says is backed by silver and gold stored in Idaho, with a total of more than $20 million in circulation, according to the group.

NORFED officials said yesterday that the raid occurred just as they were preparing to mail out the first batch of about 60,000 "Ron Paul Dollars," copper coins sold for $1 and decorated with the craggy visage of Paul, the libertarian Texas congressman, Iraq war opponent and sound-money advocate who has sparked a surprisingly vigorous insurgent campaign for the GOP nomination. The group says that it in recent months it already shipped out about 10,000 in silver Ron Paul dollars that sold for $20.

Bernard von NotHaus, NORFED's founder and executive director, said in an interview from his home in Miami Friday night that his employees in Evansville had received the copper dollars late last week and managed to mail out only about 3,500 of them so far. After a six-hour raid, he said, the agents left with the rest of the coins, which weighed about two tons total, as well as smaller amounts of silver Ron Paul dollars, gold Ron Paul dollars that sell for $1,000 and platinum Ron Paul dollars that sell for $2,000. There was a separate raid, NotHaus said, of Sunshine Mint in Coer D'Alene, Idaho, a company that prints the organization's coins, where von NotHaus said agents seized the huge pallets of silver and gold worth more than $1 million that the organization says back the paper certificates issued to its customers.

"They took everything, all of the computers, everything but the desks and chairs," said von NotHaus, who says he served 25 years as the mintmaster for the Royal Hawaiian Mint. "The federal government really is afraid."

The Indianapolis branch of the FBI declined to comment on the raid and referred calls to the U.S. Attorney's office for Western North Carolina in Charlotte. That office's spokeswoman, Suellen Pierce, also declined to comment. But bloggers at the libertarian Reason Foundation posted on-line a 35-page copy affidavit for a search warrant filed last week with the Western District in Asheville laying out the government's case against NORFED. Pierce said that the search warrant in the case had been accidentally made public by a court clerk and has since been sealed, under court rules.

In the affidavit, an FBI special agent states that he is investigating NORFED for federal violations including "uttering coins of gold, silver, or other metal," "making or possessing likeness of coins," mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy. "The goal of NORFED is to undermine the United States government's financial systems by the issuance of a non-governmental competing currency for the purpose of repealing the Federal Reserve and Internal Revenue Code," he states.

The agent states that the investigation started two years ago. And the U.S. Mint a year ago issued a warning against using the Liberty Dollar, prompting a lawsuit by NORFED. But that has not kept Liberty Dollar fans from speculating on-line that the raid was prompted by Paul's strong campaign -- which recently raised more than $4 million in a single day -- or by the precipitous recent decline in the value of the dollar.

A Paul campaign spokeswoman, Kerri Price, said yesterday that while Paul also supports abolishing the Federal Reserve, the campaign "does not have any affiliation with Liberty Dollars at all." von NotHaus confirmed this, saying that he knows Paul because they "move in the same circles" but that he had expressly not talked with Paul about his plans for the special coins so as not to violate federal election rules.

But the coins have been another rallying point for Paul's supporters, who have asked Paul to pose for photographs with the coins on the campaign trail. Jim Forsythe, a Paul organizer in New Hampshire who ordered 150 of the copper Ron Paul dollars, said yesterday that the seizure of the coins would likely fuel more support for Paul, who scores close to double-digits in some New Hampshire polls. "People are pretty upset about this," he said. "The dollar is going down the tubes and this is something that can protect the value of their money and the Federal Reserve is threatened by that. It'll definitely fire people up."

Von NotHaus, meanwhile, is urging Liberty Dollar supporters to express their outrage by donating to Paul, saying on the group's Web site that "in light of this assault on our financial freedom, it is clear that we need Ron Paul to lead this country more than ever." He said that all of his bank accounts have been frozen and that he expects that a federal indictment will soon be in the offing, saying that "once the federal government starts an investigation like this and takes it to a grand jury, they can indict a ham sandwich." Should he be charged, he said, "I'll turn it into my golden opportunity to validate the Liberty Dollar as a legal lawful currency and save the country from a monetary collapse."

What he's most concerned about for now, though, is the thought of all his customers waiting for their Ron Paul dollars. "People aren't going to get their orders, and they aren't going to get them for a while," he said.

That is good news, of course, for those already holding the coins. On eBay, the silver Ron Paul dollars that were purchased for $20 were selling for more than $170 last night.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trai ... id=topnews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:00 am 
Banned

Paul Endorsed by Nevada Brothel Owner

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iIRr ... wD8T5E71O0

RENO, Nev. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, an underdog Texas congressman with a libertarian streak, has picked up an endorsement from a Nevada brothel owner.

Dennis Hof, owner of the Moonlite BunnyRanch near Carson City, said he was so impressed after hearing Paul at a campaign stop in Reno last week that he decided to raise money for him.

"I'll get all the (working girls) together, and we can raise him some money," Hof told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "I'll put up a collection box outside the door. They can drop in $1, $5 contributions."

Hof and two of his prostitutes, Brooke Taylor and a woman who goes by Air Force Amy, attended a Paul news conference.

The women said they liked Paul's message, but wanted to learn more about other candidates before making a decision.

Paul spokesman Jeff Greenspan said Paul is a diehard supporter of states rights and an ardent libertarian who wants to return the purview of the federal government to what is articulated in the U.S. Constitution. Paul also is a devout Christian who opposes abortion.

"On a personal basis, he doesn't condone those things," Greenspan said of prostitution. "At the same time, from his campaign perspective, it's not the role of federal government and it's not in the constitution for federal government to regulate these things.

"The Nevada votrs and Legislature have decided it is legal activity in this state," he added.

In 1971, the Mustang Ranch near Reno became the state's first legal brothel and led to a movement that legalized prostitution in 12 of Nevada's 17 counties.

Hof was accompanied to the Paul news conference by television news personality Tucker Carlson, who is traveling with Paul for a magazine article he is writing.

"Dennis Hof is a good friend of mine, so when we got to Nevada, I decided to call him up and see if he wanted to come check this guy out," said Carlson, who hosts the show "Tucker!" on MSNBC.

Dennis Hof with his girls and Ron Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:39 pm 
Banned

Finally.....an editorial cartoon featuring Ron Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 pm 

Post subject: Ron Paul, George & Ringo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:04 am 
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 am 
Banned

Dennis Hof and his...employees, supporting Ron Paul for president.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 am 

The guy's a joke. He has a tiny constituency, has burned a thousand bridges, and as a testament to his incredibly poor judgement, he's tied his wagon to the Republican party instead of striking out on his own.

I shall not vote for him, despite his quirky likability and folksy delivery. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:59 am 

This election year suck's. The democrats are to busy ripping each other apart. McCain is more of the same. I'm just going to vote for any independent just so I have the right to voice my complaints. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

:roll:

You only vote for Democrats. Period. They must be a Democrat or you won't vote for them, regardless of anything else...like good ideas, leadership ability, fair mindedness, a strong sense of logic or any of those other quirky little things that might be a useful change of pace in a world leader.

Nope, you need the packaging. The packaging is the most important part, not the content. Gotta be a Democrat.

"Democrat is change, and change is good. Democrat is good. Black is best. Black Democrat is best. Black Democrat is change. Change is good because we need change. Deeeeemmmmmmooooocraaaaat." *sputter sputter*

Last edited by swiftkicknow on Fri May 30, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:48 am 

ZardozII wrote:
This election year suck's. The democrats are to busy ripping each other apart. McCain is more of the same. I'm just going to vote for any independent just so I have the right to voice my complaints. 8)

Haha :lol:

Welcome back, Z. Still ridin' the rails?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:58 am 

Swifty

I'm still riding the rails only 6 more years to go. I'm not trying to rush in to getting older, but so far after 31 years on the railroad I'm looking forward to moving on to a different chapter in my life. Like having a life for a starter. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:12 am 

Zar! There's a coincidence! I was just thinking of you over the weekend and wondering how you were! Welcome back aboard! :D

--Bat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:58 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
Zar! There's a coincidence! I was just thinking of you over the weekend and wondering how you were! Welcome back aboard! :D

Bat

I'm glad to be back. I'm doing alright. Hope your doing good? Glad you survived the nasty winter ya'll had up north. Up in to mid-March I was trying to get to Ohio for business which I cancelled because of blizzards. Last year was busy then around late summer my computer puked out on me finally got a new one last December. 8)

Zardoz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm 

ZardozII wrote:
Batchain1001 wrote:

Bat

I'm glad to be back. I'm doing alright. Hope your doing good? Glad you survived the nasty winter ya'll had up north. Up in to mid-March I was trying to get to Ohio for business which I cancelled because of blizzards. Last year was busy then around late summer my computer puked out on me finally got a new one last December. 8)

Zardoz
Oh, we right here were on the northern edges of those fuckers but they kept us under a solid deck of dark clouds even when there was no snow or rain and those winds were constant.

Congrats on the new machine, Zar. Now you'll be back and we can at least contact you!

--Bat :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:48 am 
Banned

"Ron Paul has one problem and one problem, only. He looks like a mad scientist."
- Kinky Friedman on The Bill Press Show (August 5, 2008)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
"Ron Paul has one problem and one problem, only. He looks like a mad scientist."
- Kinky Friedman on The Bill Press Show (August 5, 2008)

That does seem to create a wedge between good ideas and being embraced by the general public

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:22 am 
Banned

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Ron Paul cracks me up. He's just as stereotypical and ineffectual as any democrat or republican, only with a gleam in his eye and a folksy aw- shucks manner. His test is the same one that Nader continually fails, which is to continue his "movement" after the election for the next four years, instead of disappearing until about the beginning of 2012. You can't change the system by popping up every 3 1/2 years, ranting a lot, and then vanishing. I predict he will be gone by January and his "movement" will do the same.

Ron Paul is Ralph Nadar with better makeup. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:40 am 

swiftkicknow wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

:roll:

You only vote for Democrats. Period. They must be a Democrat or you won't vote for them, regardless of anything else...like good ideas, leadership ability, fair mindedness, a strong sense of logic or any of those other quirky little things that might be a useful change of pace in a world leader.

Nope, you need the packaging. The packaging is the most important part, not the content. Gotta be a Democrat.

"Democrat is change, and change is good. Democrat is good. Black is best. Black Democrat is best. Black Democrat is change. Change is good because we need change. Deeeeemmmmmmooooocraaaaat." *sputter sputter*

Chhaannggeee??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 am 

Who Are The Bad Guys??

Is It NBA or NFL?

KEEP READING-------------VERY INTERESTING

have been accused of spousal abuse

have been arrested for fraud

have been accused of writing bad checks

have directly or indirectly
bankrupted at least 2 businesses

have done time for assault

repeat
71 cannot
get a credit card due to bad credit

have been arrested on drug-related charges

have been arrested for shoplifting

currently
are defendants in lawsuits, and

have been arrested for drunk driving
in
the last year

Can
you guess which organization this is?

Give
up yet? . . Scroll down,

Neither,
it's the 435 members of the United States Congress

The same group of Idiots that crank out
hundreds of new laws each year
designed to keep the rest of us in line.

Just got this Email .... wonder how true it is :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:07 am 
Banned

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Ron Paul Could Be a Spoiler in Montana

Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) is on the ballot in Montana on the Constitution Party line and could play the role of a spoiler. Although Paul has not campaigned in the state, he is popular in this libertarian state and could draw votes away from John McCain here. Recent polls have shown Montana to be close, so Paul might tip the state's three electoral votes to Barack Obama.

Full article found here :arrow: http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/10/29/state/top/60st_102908_ronpaul.txt

AP Photo/Matt Gouras - Z-600 AM radio station owner John Stokes poses outside his radio station in Kalispell on Oct. 23. He uses his talk show to advance Ron Paul, who is on the ballot in Montana under The Constitution Party banner and could steal votes from Republican John McCain. Montana is typically safe territory for Republican presidential candidates — President Bush won the state by about 20 points in both 2000 and 2004, and only two Democratic presidential candidates have carried the state since 1948. But Obama staked out Montana early on as a potential battleground state and he's sticking with it to the end.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 am 

Is Bernie Sanders the Ron Paul of 2016?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 am 

Post subject: re: lrp
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:31 pm 

l. ron paul rmf

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Is Bernie Sanders the Ron Paul of 2016?

fnarr - you don't think so
TT