Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:00 pm 

Trying not to sound like an old fogey here, but IMO FZ's output during that period was the greatest, most productive, most varied and most creative of any popular recording artist in history.

Even forty-odd years later it is hard to comprehend how he did it. Throw in constant touring, rounding up and recording with all sorts of artists, discovering new ones, writing and producing everything, and, oh yeah, recovering from a broken neck for a year ... at this point, words fail me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:08 pm 

i agree, but i say it's more like 66-75. those ten years are amazing

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:24 pm 

Yeah. Why is '73 the cut off? You don't think ROXY and One Size Fits All are varied and creative?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm 

Zappa used to get some sleep, but the Captain did not, so I heard...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:19 pm 

I didn't sleep from 1975 to 1992 and I'm about a sleeping mother f#cker now...I was busy, I can still stretch it when work requires, but long term continues lack of sleep...no more... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 pm 

Plook wrote:
I didn't sleep from 1975 to 1992 and I'm about a sleeping mother f#cker now...I was busy, I can still stretch it when work requires, but long term continues lack of sleep...no more... :smoke:

As long as I get 8 hours a day and another 8 hours at night I'm OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 am 

Plook, if you can prove that, you may want to contact some record book or something. The longest known sleepless survivor went kipless for 11 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:38 am 

When I say didn't sleep, I ment not much and no where near required amounts. When I was surfing I was a Dawn Patrol Surfer and I liked goig to concerts, parties, and clubs until the wee hours of the morning. Often I would run on what amounted to cat naps, when I entered the real world of working, almost every job I had required some night shifts on short notice and doubles quite often. Of course I would not allow that to get in the way of sunrise surfing or my night life. During those years 5 hours of sleep was as good as it got and more often than not it was 3 or 4 hours...switching from nights to day working would be done on 2 hours sleep more often than not. Like I say, I love to sleep now but I still go to bed rather late for how early I normally get up.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Yeah. Why is '73 the cut off? You don't think ROXY and One Size Fits All are varied and creative?

Roxy was recorded in '73 and the basic tracks for Apostrophe' as well. I meant to include OSFA which was from '74. I ain't taking nuthin away from anything FZ did, but I did warn ya that I was being an old fogey.

To me, FZ's legend was established between '67 and '74. That's everything from WOIIFTM to OSFA -- 17 original albums, one feature length movie and parts of others, nonstop touring except in '72 and who know how many other projects on the side. That amazes me to this day.

Don't read any denigration of anything else he did into it. It isn't there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:25 pm 

I understand your preference for that era, but if you want to include One Size Fits All, you have to stretch it another year into 1975. "I hereby pronounce myself ready to go back on the road." - FZ, Easter Sunday 1975.

If we're talking about working hours and the unlikelihood of getting any sleep because of constant activity, many other years are as striking. How about 1984? How much sleep did he get that year?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I understand your preference for that era, but if you want to include One Size Fits All, you have to stretch it another year into 1975. "I hereby pronounce myself ready to go back on the road." - FZ, Easter Sunday 1975.

If we're talking about working hours and the unlikelihood of getting any sleep because of constant activity, many other years are as striking. How about 1984? How much sleep did he get that year?

Or 1980 - two U.S. tours (March 25-May 11 and October 10-December 11) and a European tour (May 23-July 3), plus recording most of two double albums (TR and YAWYI) and some live tracks included on SUNPYG and YCDTOSA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 am 

Listening to Lumpy Money this evening, it's just amazing how FZ embraced the post-WWII Avant Garde. You can here the themes in rock, jazz and classical that he developed back then in nearly all of his later music.

I miss him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:44 am 

he wore a PIPCO T-shirt for much of that time.

Maybe he slept it that on occasion.

sweet dreams