Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 am 

Audience -great band - one great LP "House on the Hill"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 am 

tweezers wrote:
Audience -great band - one great LP "House on the Hill"

"House..." was the first one I heard by them, but of the four I like "Lunch" the most.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:35 am 

No mention of the Jefferson Airplane who, like so many countless band, started off good, got better and then crash-landed once they'd gone from dabblers in booze and drugs to being serious drinker-druggers and so fucked up they could barely finish a song -- à la The Rolling Stones who've sucked since the (early) '70s but still sold on brand name alone. Why the half-baked "Sticky Fingers" in '71 and then mountains of shit since?
The Airplane went to shit just about the same time. We'll probably never know how many bands never, ever lived up to their potential just because they partied too hearty too soon and too much and even got sick of their own crap!
:roll:

--Bat :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 am 

Comus. They released one classic cult freak folk album "First Utterance", that never sold well do to a postal strike, had the chance to become popular until Bowie dropped them as an opening act (his fans responded to Comus better than the headliner!) and dropped into obscurity until 1974 when they released an album entitled "To Keep from Crying" that was nothing like the first (more traditional folk rock) and disappeared until Opeth discovered them. Their recent release, "Out of the Coma" contains an 18 minute bootleg of the first part of what was to become their followup to their debut. What-ifs, maybes, and might've beens, as Ian Anderson would say...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 am 

Talking Heads. The promise of Remain In Light was never met in latter releases. I think Brian Eno was almost a band member. His influence on the band was huge and when he dropped out of the picture, TH became more pedestrian with each subsequent album. It's too bad. Fear of Music and Remain In Light are both masterpieces, imo, and I wish they'd built on that rather than go in a different direction.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:20 pm 

Little Village - John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner

What a great lineup. An alt-rock/pop supergroup. Their one album was ok but not great. I think the guys just didn't get along on the one tour they did. I think you can get a used cd for like a penny (plus $2.98 shipping of course) on amazon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5