Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 am 

Thought this deserved its own thread. From Candy Zappa on Facebook:

"This time of year always brings good things and sometimes very sad things. a very sad thing for us, we lost another member of the Zappa troup, Jim "Motorhead" Sherwood, one of Frank's longtime friend and early Mother's member, passed last night around 10pm, on Christmas. i remember when Jim and Frank would come over to our house in Montclair, CA, when i was about 11 and of course, Frank would have his coffee black, and when i asked Jim how he wanted his coffee, he said "Just pour sugar in it till it comes over the side" which today still makes me laugh to tell it. his wife Lynn, Jim's son and his wife were with Jim when he left. say some healing prayers for Lynn and Jim's family today, they need them. ♥"

I got this from Zappateers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:37 am 

rest in peace, motorhead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:37 am 

RIP Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:00 am 

Sad news. The past few years haven't been kind to Zappa alumni. R.I.P., Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:20 pm 

None of us are getting younger, and it's a particularly sad reminder in the case of musicians who were in their thirties when they set the world on fire. Rest in peace, Motorhead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:50 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:02 pm 

r.i.p. jim
Code:
louis: ah, i wish motorhead would come back. oh wow, motorhead ... motorhead ... where are you motorhead ¿
roy: he's probably getting eaten by one of those ponies
louis: yes
roy: maybe he's out there playing with motors
louis: motors ¿! motors ¿ ... no! no! no!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:58 pm 

He put a motor in himself and left. RIP. Thanks for the music, all purpose weirdness and teen appeal.

My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:31 pm 

His sax solo on King Kong from Uncle Meat is among my favorite moments in Zappa's catalog.

Oh dear.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:46 pm 

RIP Motorhead... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:41 pm 

Someone put this announcement in the Fill in the blank__just died.Each and every Mother should have his/her own thread or we are not very good Zappa Freaks! Thanks Cal and of course The Zappateers.I just watched 200 Motels and Jim Motorhead Sherwood was a riot in that with a pivotal role.I love his headgear in that movie,classic Snoopy WWI leather helmet with gogles.What a face and FZ used it well in 200 Motels.Damn it! One of the few 60's Mothers Of Invention that was left.He will be missed.I wonder what killed him and how old was he? Anyone? I wonder if he will show up in Memorandom here or in "of consequince". :cry:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Sherwood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:07 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Someone put this announcement in the Fill in the blank__just died.Each and every Mother should have his/her own thread or we are not very good Zappa Freaks! Thanks Cal and of course The Zappateers.I just watched 200 Motels and Jim Motorhead Sherwood was a riot in that with a pivotal role.I love his headgear in that movie,classic Snoopy WWI leather helmet with gogles.What a face and FZ used it well in 200 Motels.Damn it! One of the few 60's Mothers Of Invention that was left.He will be missed.I wonder what killed him and how old was he? Anyone? I wonder if he will show up in Memorandom here. :cry:

It was reported on another thread last week that he was a short-timer with inoperable brain tumors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:39 pm 

Fucking hell. We knew the end was near...but on Christmas Day?!

RIP, Jim. :cry:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:07 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Someone put this announcement in the Fill in the blank__just died.Each and every Mother should have his/her own thread or we are not very good Zappa Freaks! Thanks Cal and of course The Zappateers.I just watched 200 Motels and Jim Motorhead Sherwood was a riot in that with a pivotal role.I love his headgear in that movie,classic Snoopy WWI leather helmet with gogles.What a face and FZ used it well in 200 Motels.Damn it! One of the few 60's Mothers Of Invention that was left.He will be missed.I wonder what killed him and how old was he? Anyone? :cry:

It was reported on another thread last week that he was a short-timer with inoperable brain tumors.

Thanks KU2,I knew something was wrong,but not what or how he was doing.Sad it came on X-mas,thats gotta be hard on the family.Like DB sez,from now on it's merry fucking X-mas,you know? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:05 pm 

It is a difficult card to play. But I believe James had his family around him at home. Perhaps being Christmas day it was a good time to depart and I'm sure it was a pain free death. I agree his frenzied out sax solo on King Kong was indeed a magical highpoint for many reasons not least musical, which is what the Mothers was all about.

Here's looking at Euclid. Goodbye Motorhead.

He's a CEO for Chrissakes!

Post subject: Re: motorhead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm 

Quote:
and then I worked in a printing company and a coupla gas stations. oh, at the gas station where I was working my brother just got married, and uh... he bought a new car and his wife was having a kid and all this miserable stuff, and he needed a job so I gave him a job at the gas station of which I was fired because, you know, he was gonna work there. and he had his car on the rack and he was lubing and changing tires and everything all the time. and so they got fired because he was goofing off, man, and he just kept taking parts and working on his car day and night. and so he lost that job and he went to work in another gas station. he took that one, you know, so he could feed the kids and that. and I went to work in an aircraft company, and uh... I was building these planes. I worked on the xb-70, I was the last welder on there. yeah but, it was pretty good bread because I was making, uh... $2.71 an hour. I was making a hundred and a quarter a week, and uh... yeah, it was good enough money to be working on, so I got an oldsmobile, a groovy olds. but I was going with this chick at that time. by the time I got the olds running decently, she went out and tore up the engine, and the trans, and a... her and a girlfriend they get in there and booze it up and tear up the seats. just ripped the seats completely out. so uh... when, I got a '56 olds, which was this one chick's I was going with, and uh... we used to drive out all over the place and finally she got rid of that, and uh... I got another pickup!
Quote:
fz: motorhead is lying. he can't play good, he can't play anything. he's trying to con his way into the other band. he knows they don't want him.*
a true mother. rest in peace, motorhead. 8)

*from 'ahead of their time.'

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Quote:
and then I worked in a printing company and a coupla gas stations. oh, at the gas station where I was working my brother just got married, and uh... he bought a new car and his wife was having a kid and all this miserable stuff, and he needed a job so I gave him a job at the gas station of which I was fired because, you know, he was gonna work there. and he had his car on the rack and he was lubing and changing tires and everything all the time. and so they got fired because he was goofing off, man, and he just kept taking parts and working on his car day and night. and so he lost that job and he went to work in another gas station. he took that one, you know, so he could feed the kids and that. and I went to work in an aircraft company, and uh... I was building these planes. I worked on the xb-70, I was the last welder on there. yeah but, it was pretty good bread because I was making, uh... $2.71 an hour. I was making a hundred and a quarter a week, and uh... yeah, it was good enough money to be working on, so I got an oldsmobile, a groovy olds. but I was going with this chick at that time. by the time I got the olds running decently, she went out and tore up the engine, and the trans, and a... her and a girlfriend they get in there and booze it up and tear up the seats. just ripped the seats completely out. so uh... when, I got a '56 olds, which was this one chick's I was going with, and uh... we used to drive out all over the place and finally she got rid of that, and uh... I got another pickup!
a true mother.

Lumpy,where is this from? Fucking beautiful man! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
that's from lumpy gravy. and, yeah, it's awesome. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:13 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
that's from lumpy gravy. and, yeah, it's awesome. 8)

Far out Lumpy,it does have an urban poetry feel to it.Thanks man. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:22 pm 

A tough guy from Lancaster, of a family of tough guys (according to John French)... Motorhead wasn't a skilled musician, but what a blower! His contribution to YAWYI is priceless - Frank knew exactly what he was doing when he hired the old guns for that album. I think maybe Sherwood was Frank's closest friend among the old Mothers - Dweezil got names after him. Motorhead was one Mother who respected Frank's development and need for change. A good guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:04 am 

This is really sad news. Like others have mentioned here his sax solo on King Kong is a particular highlight. Here also played tambourine a really cool way. I remember someone once posting on youtube that he actually made playing the tambourine look cool.

Does anybody know what he did after the Mothers disbanded in '69? Outside of the odd bit of recording here and there of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
A tough guy from Lancaster, of a family of tough guys (according to John French)... Motorhead wasn't a skilled musician, but what a blower! His contribution to YAWYI is priceless - Frank knew exactly what he was doing when he hired the old guns for that album. I think maybe Sherwood was Frank's closest friend among the old Mothers - Dweezil got names after him. Motorhead was one Mother who respected Frank's development and need for change. A good guy.

Dweezil in fact also got names after Ian (Underwood), Don (Preston) and of course Mr. Calvin "And Hitch-Hikers" Schenkel himself!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:31 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:
This is really sad news. Like others have mentioned here his sax solo on King Kong is a particular highlight. Here also played tambourine a really cool way. I remember someone once posting on youtube that he actually made playing the tambourine look cool.

Does anybody know what he did after the Mothers disbanded in '69? Outside of the odd bit of recording here and there of course.

I remember something about him living on a ranch at one point in Colorado? or Wyoming? or some such locale. Also perhaps that he made his living as a plumber. Remember the BBC documentary near the end of Frank's life where Motorhead has very short hair and is wearing a cowboy hat?

Here's that doc in it's entirety. Some good clips of Motorhead being interviewed interspersed in it.

http://youtu.be/n56YdoeYOmQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:49 am 

I remember that doc and the "Salad Party" video on which some of the A&E footage is taken. It was nice that Motorhead was there, one of the only early Mothers in attendance, but then Frank had first known him from high school and then the Studio Z days. I'd say Jim was the a good friend to Frank and I don't recall him bad-mouthing him after The Mothers had been disbanded, especially not like some of the others had. A very big loss.....Snork on, Motorhead, snork on. :cry: