Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 13497
Location: Schools that do not teach
Image

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
Plook wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Image
Where the freeways meet in Downey...



This is about a mile from the house I grew up in and my Mom still lives in, the little car symbol closest to the freeway is where Bob Spree Cadillac was. In the bottom left between the Freeway and the riverbed is "Golf n Stuff" a putt-putt, with games, and go carts that is featured in Karate Kid and many other movies. The river bed next to that was a skateboard spot where many skaters would skate and attract large crowds in the 70's, all the famous skaters of the day would skate there, Riverbed Ed was the king of the spot and a good friend of mine, he dated Riverbed Robin for a while and she is featured in the Tom Petty video 'Free Falling" skating. Due to the amount of attention this spot got the county came in and added cement speed bumps in ordered to stop so publicly visible skating.

I preferred a spot (which was also eventually removed) about a quarter mile south of there called Trestles, the train tracks crossed the riverbed there and the ramp allowed for speeds up 20 miles per hour when dropping in to the riverbed, I fined tuned my skating skills there spending literally hundreds of hours there perfecting my skills. Also just west of there was the Carpenter homestead in Downey, as in Karen Carpenter. Just south of the picture on the left side was Hoxie Park where we would go and smoke pot and then go to Zody's ( a kind of Target of its day, the building actually houses a Target now) they had a cool stereo section and we would crank up all the stereos to KROQ (K-rock) until they kicked us out.

Oh how I love memory lane...:smoke:



Also just to the west is Downey High School where James Hetfield founding member of Metallica went to school, near by was Licorice Pizza an excellent record store that specialized in Imports, this is where I and he discover Budgie the British Power Trio who IMHO were the grand Fathers of speed metal. Metallica covered some of their songs including Breadfan, they also had Budgie open for them in Europe on the '88 tour.

Also to the south east less than a mile was the Golden West Ballroom, my Mom taught dancing there and they would sometimes have rock bands on the weekend, if you worked as a server for wedding receptions on Saturday you would get a free pass to see bands, I saw Van Halen, UFO, and The Tubes, I am sure others but these I remember.

It had a huge monopole sign that rotated probably 30 or 40 feet in the air and a guy named Ace as a promotional stunt around late 60's early 70's lived on the sign for a month. We as kids would go down to the sign and yell encouragements to Ace, when he came down we befriended him and he was a Jungle Cruise Guide at Disneyland and he would come to our houses and the kids would gather around while Ace would recite the cruise to us, we would even gasp with surprise when the Hippo would pop out of the water and he would run it off with his six shooter. Being a kid is great, the imagination fills in all the blanks.

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12780
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Great memories Plook and a cool way to remember them with...the google map.We all should do that.Ya know,tell everyone where we played as a kid and first heard FZ or where you hung around and listened to music and FZ.It's pretty cool when ya do it with the satellite map.Makes it more interesting.I've always loved reading maps and stories to go along with each part.Like playin' a trivial persuit board game,with cool antedotes.Plus next time I'm driving down that way I can look over and see the real history of the place.Look! Plook's first Plooking spot! Just like on Google maps! :smoke:

There's a million stories in the city and I'm only interested in the Zappafreaks story's. :mrgreen:

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18102
Location: Somewhere in time
Plook wrote:
Plook wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Image
Where the freeways meet in Downey...



This is about a mile from the house I grew up in and my Mom still lives in, the little car symbol closest to the freeway is where Bob Spree Cadillac was. In the bottom left between the Freeway and the riverbed is "Golf n Stuff" a putt-putt, with games, and go carts that is featured in Karate Kid and many other movies. The river bed next to that was a skateboard spot where many skaters would skate and attract large crowds in the 70's, all the famous skaters of the day would skate there, Riverbed Ed was the king of the spot and a good friend of mine, he dated Riverbed Robin for a while and she is featured in the Tom Petty video 'Free Falling" skating. Due to the amount of attention this spot got the county came in and added cement speed bumps in ordered to stop so publicly visible skating.

I preferred a spot (which was also eventually removed) about a quarter mile south of there called Trestles, the train tracks crossed the riverbed there and the ramp allowed for speeds up 20 miles per hour when dropping in to the riverbed, I fined tuned my skating skills there spending literally hundreds of hours there perfecting my skills. Also just west of there was the Carpenter homestead in Downey, as in Karen Carpenter. Just south of the picture on the left side was Hoxie Park where we would go and smoke pot and then go to Zody's ( a kind of Target of its day, the building actually houses a Target now) they had a cool stereo section and we would crank up all the stereos to KROQ (K-rock) until they kicked us out.

Oh how I love memory lane...:smoke:



Also just to the west is Downey High School where James Hetfield founding member of Metallica went to school, near by was Licorice Pizza an excellent record store that specialized in Imports, this is where I and he discover Budgie the British Power Trio who IMHO were the grand Fathers of speed metal. Metallica covered some of their songs including Breadfan, they also had Budgie open for them in Europe on the '88 tour.

Also to the south east less than a mile was the Golden West Ballroom, my Mom taught dancing there and they would sometimes have rock bands on the weekend, if you worked as a server for wedding receptions on Saturday you would get a free pass to see bands, I saw Van Halen, UFO, and The Tubes, I am sure others but these I remember.

It had a huge monopole sign that rotated probably 30 or 40 feet in the air and a guy named Ace as a promotional stunt around late 60's early 70's lived on the sign for a month. We as kids would go down to the sign and yell encouragements to Ace, when he came down we befriended him and he was a Jungle Cruise Guide at Disneyland and he would come to our houses and the kids would gather around while Ace would recite the cruise to us, we would even gasp with surprise when the Hippo would pop out of the water and he would run it off with his six shooter. Being a kid is great, the imagination fills in all the blanks.

:smoke:


I have one more good one, just south about a quarter mile of right center of this map is where The Mothers played the GO GO Bar as mentioned in Joe's Garage, my Mom and her friends went to the show, probably late mid 60's... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2356
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image
I will go to a house. That's what I will do: I will go to a house where there's a rock and roll band, cuz the groups all live together...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3415
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
Hey Bonny, great cartoons as usual...and I finally figured them out---The Poodle Lecture and Jumbo, Go Away---correct?

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 8980
Location: EINDHOVEN
dove_grey wrote:
Hey Bonny, great cartoons as usual...and I finally figured them out---The Poodle Lecture and Jumbo, Go Away---correct?

Correct!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 549
Location: ger-money
Image

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: where the dogs roll by
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Image
I will go to a house. That's what I will do: I will go to a house where there's a rock and roll band, cuz the groups all live together...


Image

i will have a pscychedelic gleam in my eye at all times.

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 am
Posts: 3493
Location: The Blue Light
Duke of
Image

_________________
Country music + Black music = Rock and Roll


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 549
Location: ger-money
Imagethe planet of my dreams

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm
Posts: 458
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Image

_________________
ImageImage
I aint gonna squash it, and you don't need to wash it...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm
Posts: 458
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Image

_________________
ImageImage
I aint gonna squash it, and you don't need to wash it...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:33 pm
Posts: 458
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Image

_________________
ImageImage
I aint gonna squash it, and you don't need to wash it...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 549
Location: ger-money
Image

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1228
Location: Bordeaux, France
Image
MONTREAL

_________________
"You can fly like a Penguin when you're dealing with Turkeys."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1228
Location: Bordeaux, France
Image

_________________
"You can fly like a Penguin when you're dealing with Turkeys."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:05 pm
Posts: 2661
Location: where the dogs roll by
Image

_________________
I can't tell when you're telling the truth.
>I'm not.
How do I know anything you've said to me is...
>You don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:54 pm
Posts: 366
Image


Not exactly what he meant, but:

NEWT IN IDAHO


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 549
Location: ger-money
Image
I promise not to come in your mouth

_________________
god, what a cheap bubble machine!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18120
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Image

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group