Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grand Funk Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:10 pm 

Inside Looking Out is one of the all time great rock songs. In my humble opinion. I will look for link to post.

Post subject: Re: Grand Funk Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 pm 

One of the best live acts ever and the only band to get Led Zepplin boo'd off stage... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 am 

They must have been a great live act, because their albums were mediocre at best. That I'm Your Captain song is horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:26 am 

C'mon cal, I bet you liked it the first few hundred thousand "I'm Getting Closer to My Hooooooooooommmmmmeee"s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 am 

The first time I heard it, maybe. MAYBE.

My favorite GFR songs are Footstompin' Music and All The Girls In The World Beware.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:03 am 

Inside Looking Out-live '69
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6chChxzV0

Mark Farner on the breakup of GFR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1qGNbuh-eA

I signed on the line for seven long years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 am 

For the last half of the '60s, I lived in Trinidad, W.I. Musically, it was "Island" music, a.m. radio, and my Beatles and Monkees records.
We moved back to civilization in early 1970. The first album I bought, after getting back :wink: , was the new "Let It Be" box. Then....one day, while looking through the records at the local Dutch Boy supermarket, I found a 2-disc album for the price of a single album ($4.99). I bought it solely because it was such a bargain. It was "Grand Funk Live". First time I heard metal, and learned to play music LOUD! "Inside Looking Out" determined my musical taste for the next year, or so....then I heard "In the Court of the Crimson King". But, that is another story!

BTW, Cal, I got my copy of the "Closer to Home" album (I'm Your Captain) for free. A classmate told me listened to it once, and was going to use it as an ashtray, or something. So I had him give it to me instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Inside Looking Out-live '69
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6chChxzV0

Mark Farner on the breakup of GFR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1qGNbuh-eA

That's what I'm talking about!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
For the last half of the '60s, I lived in Trinidad, W.I. Musically, it was "Island" music, a.m. radio, and my Beatles and Monkees records.
We moved back to civilization in early 1970. The first album I bought, after getting back :wink: , was the new "Let It Be" box. Then....one day, while looking through the records at the local Dutch Boy supermarket, I found a 2-disc album for the price of a single album ($4.99). I bought it solely because it was such a bargain. It was "Grand Funk Live". First time I heard metal, and learned to play music LOUD! "Inside Looking Out" determined my musical taste for the next year, or so....then I heard "In the Court of the Crimson King". But, that is another story!

BTW, Cal, I got my copy of the "Closer to Home" album (I'm Your Captain) for free. A classmate told me listened to it once, and was going to use it as an ashtray, or something. So I had him give it to me instead.

Maybe Cal was your classmate... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

Plook wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Maybe Cal was your classmate... :mrgreen:

C'mon man, I'm not that old!

Post subject: re: grand funk thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 pm 

we're coming to your town
we'll help you party it down

after the show, had to purchased the freshly released gold wax lp in the glossy but easily damaged gold foil jacket

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm 

I remember my first band in 1972 used to play 'Into the Sun' (probably 'cos it was an easy one to play)
I dig 'Good Singin' Good Playin'' 'cos of Frank's production & playing, although I remember the vinyl
sounding better than the CD. 'Pass it Around' is a fave, I like Mark's singing and the feel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 pm 

Gotta love good 'ol Michigan rock and roll. Grand Funks good, but the band I like even more, and had the honor and priveledge to open for their last concert performance ever in Alpena is The Frost with Dick Wagner.

Check 'em out...

http://acerecords.co.uk/frost-music

http://tsururadio.com/2011/03/something ... lvet-blog/