Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: re: bolero
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
from zappateers, also an old thread
nico wrote:
Well, you are entering the mess about the intellectual proprieties. The Ravel Family has refused to let this set to be pressed on a CD. Ravel is a very famous composer...

Ha! What was FZ, chopped liver.???.....Composers intent syndrome again! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
gyrate into a rag nite toy

:twisted:

Hey Ghost whatever is going on with your eyes seems to be getting worse... :shock:

Concentrated beams of positive energy heading your way :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:48 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
gyrate into a rag nite toy

:twisted:

Hey Ghost whatever is going on with your eyes seems to be getting worse... :shock:

Concentrated beams of positive energy heading your way :mrgreen:

Holy crap do I need a led vest... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Did Zappa play Bolero correctly?
How about Ring Of Fire?

the zappa version of bolero was considered offensive enough for ravel's family to try and prevent it's release

Interesting. Thank you.

I'm surprised he got away with Stairway To Heaven. I guess those Led Zeppelin guys respect Zappa or something. They wouldn't even allow the show SCTV to put their parody of a commercial for a 'various artists 'collection called Stairways To Heaven on the DVD.
It's pretty good.....http://youtu.be/_QFDsUgjqIo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 pm 

Interesting discussion about covers. I wonder if the Texas Motel medley of Beatles tunes remains unreleased for some copyright/objections from the Beatles estate issues as well?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:39 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Interesting discussion about covers. I wonder if the Texas Motel medley of Beatles tunes remains unreleased for some copyright/objections from the Beatles estate issues as well?

Relax...not the same guy.

trendm0nger wrote:
During the 4 hour SOCIETY PAGES 1993 interview Zappa talks about the Beatles Medley.<br> He didn't release it because Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles catalogue. He said he never asked for permission because he thought Jacko wouldn't let him use it. Especially after the way he made fun of Jacko on Broadway The Hard Way.<br> Grab the boot, you won't hear it anywhere else.<br>NEVER BUY ZAPPA BOOTLEGS

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:41 am 

Oh well, I'd forgotten about that factoid.

Just listening to a version of Texas Motel medley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMUpmfL2Fc

Some twats are chanting "Dinah Moe Humm". So glad FZ didn't cave in to the pressure to play "Dinah Moe Humm" on the 1988 tour. Maybe doing the Beatles tunes was a nice way to distract from avoidance of that pesky crowd-pleaser haha? I know what I like and the Beatles tunes set to Zappa's parody lyrics sure beats "Dinah Moe Humm".

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 am 

Funny how trendburger thinks he can follow DZ's blog with his own, and expect to get comments. I didn't even read past the first line and my eyes are burning. So sad is he :cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:15 pm 

The aforementioned blog -- and a tip of the baseball cap to coevad for sniffing it out for me. Trendy's blogs rarely get a response. Still nothing as of ten minutes ago. He'd get a lot more response if people weren't afraid to go negative over there. [My comments in brackets.]

Gary wrote on May 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Gary 's Blog Posts
Where Zappa Plays Zappa will bring the "ROXY AND ELSEWHERE" tour to the upper West Side of Manhattan, 3 Anniversary shows at the Roxy Theater in LA, and but also [so fucking stupid, ungrammatical and redundant] many dates at other worldwide locals.... A chance to win a Custom Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG. Many surprsies [sp] are in store.

It's the dawn of a new day. There's a Tony out there looking to bridge a little conceptual continuity to an urban renewal project so to speak. [WTF?] He loves his Zappa where he sings it loud and proud. YES, Zappa Plays Zappa is a project of Dweezil Zappa's vision. Where the present day passion of live performances of the composers work has no paralells [sp].

Speaking of passion. If Romeo and Juliet were here today, they would have to remodel the balcony to fit as much of the composers work as possible into the limestone of destiny. [WTF?] With Frank's music alive and well there would be no need for a trip to the apothecary. [I don't know about you, but I could use a good jolt of THC about now.]

The cast of characters have [should read "has"] always changed since Frank Zappa first performed this landmark album. In Zappa Plays Zappa, after some 500 shows and 275 compositions later [either "after" or "later", not both], these Roxy & Elsewhere performances by Dweezil Zappa and his bandmates will also include more surprises of the composers "devilishly frenetic instrumental passages". ZPZ continues to evolve, digging deep into the composers canon. [Gary: Don't you get tired of spouting the same trite spew year after year? Get some new shit, will ya?]

In the Roxy & Elsewhere 2013 Tourblog Dweezil Zappa stated "The Roxy album has always been one of my favorites and I'm excited to play it top to bottom. It has a great balance of musical styles and showcases some of the funkiest grooves and most devilishly frenetic instrumental passages my father ever composed." [Needlessly repetitious}

The celebration of a classic work, the expectations where the Roxy Film wil [sp] be completed this year and make it's ["its," dummkopf, no apostrophe] way to theaters. [More likely straight to video, dreamer.] It begins there, with a quest for infinty [sp] of life within a higher ambient domain. [overused, redundant, trite] It's this project and everything in FZs Big Note. While the imaging radar of the UMRK helps in finding long lost treasures it takes a large amount of work to move things forward. ZPZs performances are examples where these stern and accomplished musicians perform these works up to the standards of the composer. [Stern? Really? You wanna check the dictionary on that?]

With that being said I know that Something's Coming. There is more to this West Side Story that will make it's way up Broadway's Upper West Side. Strictly Genteel, Moggio. Hmmm please, and but also [so fucking stupid, ungrammatical and redundant] so many other possibilities that are left to the imamgination [sp] of the immaginer [sp]. The band always brings something new.

Could there be a "Watermellon [sp] In Easter Hay" ? Who knows.... September is just out of reach. I'll just keep whistling down the river knowing that Something's Coming. Something Good? You betcha, indeed Something Great Is Coming.... I'll just have to wait.

YES - Something's Coming(Bernstein/Sondheim)

And then there was a video appended, possibly something by Yes; I didn't bother listening or attaching it. I sure wish people would quit bugging Dweezil about Watermelon. Dweezil probably doesn't play it because it makes him cry. Lay off, you heartless fucks!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

Dweezil's got a wanna be Mini-Me. :roll:

...and Titoney has to be the one on DZW to have the most points* at all times. It makes him an authority figure to the under 12 set over there. I doubt he's in it for the SG replica/guitar giveaway. (If that's what you'd call it)

*How do you get points on DZW? You post all good things about Dweezil and DZpZ, good pictures, good news articles, great reviews, etcetera. Tales of learning some Zappa songs and love of Dweezilla get you more I suppose. I don't think DZ has that all worked out yet. My point count # hasn't changed for over a year there and I like DZpZ. Maybe it's cause I like the Alumni too. I dunno, but I've been at around 40,400 for a long time now and that's nothing. :|

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

I found this on the activation thread.

phanrocks73 wrote:
I have a dumb question but thought I would ask it anyhow. Zappa Plays Zappa is coming to town and I have a 6 year old daughter. Well do you think it would be safe for her to attend this concert with me or will there be a bunch of crazy people running around?

I guess the answer is "Depends on if the concert is near Gary T.'s home."

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
I found this on the activation thread.

phanrocks73 wrote:
I have a dumb question but thought I would ask it anyhow. Zappa Plays Zappa is coming to town and I have a 6 year old daughter. Well do you think it would be safe for her to attend this concert with me or will there be a bunch of crazy people running around?

I guess the answer is "Depends on if the concert is near Gary T.'s home."

Kids scare him. No worries there.
So I'd say yes, but have her wear ear plugs and just use common sense. If they're head banger's next to you move. But I would suggest they get seats where she can see them play too! Remember they aren't The Wiggles or even Flo & Eddie for that matter and without movement they tend to drift. So it depends on the 6 yr. old.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 pm 

Not sure where you are, but I've seen young kids at ZPZ concerts. Usually they get past the fences right in front of the stage.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 am 

The Dweez loves the kids, 2009 in Sydney he had a youngster "the little nipper" from the audience up on the stage, whch was pretty cool......

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:00 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
The aforementioned blog -- and a tip of the baseball cap to coevad for sniffing it out for me. Trendy's blogs rarely get a response. Still nothing as of ten minutes ago. He'd get a lot more response if people weren't afraid to go negative over there. [My comments in brackets.]

Gary wrote on May 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Gary 's Blog Posts
Where Zappa Plays Zappa will bring the "ROXY AND ELSEWHERE" tour to the upper West Side of Manhattan, 3 Anniversary shows at the Roxy Theater in LA, and but also [so fucking stupid, ungrammatical and redundant] many dates at other worldwide locals.... A chance to win a Custom Gibson Frank Zappa Roxy SG. Many surprsies [sp] are in store.

It's the dawn of a new day. There's a Tony out there looking to bridge a little conceptual continuity to an urban renewal project so to speak. [WTF?] He loves his Zappa where he sings it loud and proud. YES, Zappa Plays Zappa is a project of Dweezil Zappa's vision. Where the present day passion of live performances of the composers work has no paralells [sp].

Speaking of passion. If Romeo and Juliet were here today, they would have to remodel the balcony to fit as much of the composers work as possible into the limestone of destiny. [WTF?] With Frank's music alive and well there would be no need for a trip to the apothecary. [I don't know about you, but I could use a good jolt of THC about now.]

The cast of characters have [should read "has"] always changed since Frank Zappa first performed this landmark album. In Zappa Plays Zappa, after some 500 shows and 275 compositions later [either "after" or "later", not both], these Roxy & Elsewhere performances by Dweezil Zappa and his bandmates will also include more surprises of the composers "devilishly frenetic instrumental passages". ZPZ continues to evolve, digging deep into the composers canon. [Gary: Don't you get tired of spouting the same trite spew year after year? Get some new shit, will ya?]

In the Roxy & Elsewhere 2013 Tourblog Dweezil Zappa stated "The Roxy album has always been one of my favorites and I'm excited to play it top to bottom. It has a great balance of musical styles and showcases some of the funkiest grooves and most devilishly frenetic instrumental passages my father ever composed." [Needlessly repetitious}

The celebration of a classic work, the expectations where the Roxy Film wil [sp] be completed this year and make it's ["its," dummkopf, no apostrophe] way to theaters. [More likely straight to video, dreamer.] It begins there, with a quest for infinty [sp] of life within a higher ambient domain. [overused, redundant, trite] It's this project and everything in FZs Big Note. While the imaging radar of the UMRK helps in finding long lost treasures it takes a large amount of work to move things forward. ZPZs performances are examples where these stern and accomplished musicians perform these works up to the standards of the composer. [Stern? Really? You wanna check the dictionary on that?]

With that being said I know that Something's Coming. There is more to this West Side Story that will make it's way up Broadway's Upper West Side. Strictly Genteel, Moggio. Hmmm please, and but also [so fucking stupid, ungrammatical and redundant] so many other possibilities that are left to the imamgination [sp] of the immaginer [sp]. The band always brings something new.

Could there be a "Watermellon [sp] In Easter Hay" ? Who knows.... September is just out of reach. I'll just keep whistling down the river knowing that Something's Coming. Something Good? You betcha, indeed Something Great Is Coming.... I'll just have to wait.

YES - Something's Coming(Bernstein/Sondheim)

And then there was a video appended, possibly something by Yes; I didn't bother listening or attaching it. I sure wish people would quit bugging Dweezil about Watermelon. Dweezil probably doesn't play it because it makes him cry. Lay off, you heartless fucks!

I think G Titty attempts to use GZ speaktm as way of appearing hip and/or endearing him self to the ZFT, but his oft used phrase "and but also" is actually: and not only but also.....but I'm being picky and, well, who gives a fuck anyway.....the forum for me is a place of fun......Don't let him get to you Jim, it'll eat you up and you might become bitter and twisted, or even Dog forbid excommunicated from here.....
again with the fun :twisted:

PS "If Romeo and Juliet were here today" on many levels that would be pretty amazing, but mainly because, as most of us know, they were created by William Shakespeare....picky! picky! picky! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 am 

G Titty! I love it!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:43 am 

What, you don't like titties?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 am 

I love titties. I love nipples and beer, too. Don't have much use for rappers, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 am 

It's the same across the nation, black n white discrimination...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 am 

I sure wish G Titty would drop by and say hi, maybe throw down a petulant tantrum and a few rhymes for us. We're thinking of you, big fella. Don't be a stranger.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 am 

Come out come out where ever you are

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm surprised he got away with Stairway To Heaven.

Still surprised?

How 'bout now?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 pm 

burial unsuccessful

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm 

If at first you don't succeed.....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 am 

Try twice as hard... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next