Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:33 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
The current trend of Reality TV shows certainly has American TV viewers "thinking again".
And what do I mean by this?
A leading question is do we as Americans think for ourselves or do we need TV programming to be our schoolroom chalkboard?
Gross, perverted, obsessed, deranged?Immagine if you will a FZ TV production based on the current Home-Wardrobe-Culinary-Gender Adjustment-Improvement craze.
I have a feeling that Frank would have taken a variety of these Reality based themes and thrown them in a large bowl of soup to make a fantastic show garanteed to be the finest optional entertainment on television. Lots of garlic and cayenne pepper so to speak.
And just what might this show be called?
How about "Soup and Old Clothes" ?

Not to fret for the Dweezil and Lisa "Into The Fire" program slated for FoodTV newtwork is to bring us a Saint Alfonzo Pancake Breakfast. This is wonderfull news that will bring a bit of a long time Zappa Household tradition to the masses.
But what about those of us fortunate to be a bit more rehearsed on Zappa folklore.
I question if a reality based UMRK production could show us what the upgrades to UMRK are and how they work. even if it was just a MPEG Zappa.com thing there most certainly should be viewer interest.
For many of the so called hard core Zappa fanatics the UMRK is the kitchen of our world.
Could the chefs please entertain and teach us a bit of their culinary art?
Happy Halloween everybody!

(Misspellings included......pretty tame, but that was from 2002)

It's a great earlier example of Titoney's Baloney from the jerkieassic period, just before his "moment of clarity" or cleariasic period. :lol:
Thanx for posting this obscure post calvin, from Dweezil's Lisa Loebic period.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:42 pm 

Wow, Trendy's been stalking Dweezil that long? Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:58 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
Wow, Trendy's been stalking Dweezil that long? Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

.....and FZ before and I here tell one time in FLA, he was spotted outside a Mildred Zappa's house (no relation) where he thought FZ would show up for her birthday. He knew it was her birthday soon but not exactly. Short story he was in a van down by Mildred's river, she got paranoid and called the local security and the rest is....legend.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
.....and FZ before and I here tell one time in FLA, he was spotted outside a Mildred Zappa's house (no relation) where he thought FZ would show up for her birthday. He knew it was her birthday soon but not exactly. Short story he was in a van down by Mildred's river, she got paranoid and called the local security and the rest is....legend.... :mrgreen:

Where is the like button :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 am 

HJ wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Where is the like button :D

DZW has a "like" button at the bottom of every post. There is no thumbs down or dislike button. I guess that's how they keep score over there, I dunno fer sure. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
DZW has a "like" button at the bottom of every post. There is no thumbs down or dislike button. I guess that's how they keep score over there, I dunno fer sure. :roll:

To be fair, forums rarely do have dislike buttons. Some have reputation buttons where you can add or subtract to a member's rep based on their posts.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 am 

Dweezil used to have a "dislike" button, but we used it so heavily on the Ambassador-at-Large (as Trendy called himself at the time) that Dweezil had it removed. We were "abusing it," I believe he said. Does Trendy give good rim, or what?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 pm 

It's like Nowhere, where everybody is smiling. Or perhaps they sneakily install Kamiel Kafka's Blijbeugel on all visitors. In that case dear Kirk: run!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm 

BBP wrote:
It's like Nowhere, where everybody is smiling. Or perhaps they sneakily install Kamiel Kafka's Blijbeugel on all visitors. In that case dear Kirk: run!

You got that right Bonny, it's like the Valley of the Dolls. Everyone must be valiumized for ours and his enjoyment at DZW. I'm still "subscribed" to a couple of threads there, but now I don't get notifications like here and the Goose does with new posts. :roll:
Reminds me of the song Smiling Faces ...sometimes they don't tell the truth. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 pm 

We have mild leakage @ the SWWLTHZPZP group.
Just name your songs and END IT!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm 

polydigm wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I happen to think that if you like Frank Zappa it makes no sense to prop up his clone. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Being a clone goes against the spirit of Zappa's music.
I think I get where you're coming from. I've been a Zappa fan since 1974 and that was almost 20 years before he died. I only managed to see him live once because he only came to OZ once after 1974. But the point is, to be able to go out on the town and have a few beers with some mates and hear FZ's music played live with panache is much better than anything else on offer in the world at the moment as far as I'm concerned. I would love to be in the UK in October to experience the 200 Motels performance. What a night out that will be.
downer mydnyte wrote:
It doesn't revitalize it in any way. No one else can breathe the same breath as Frank Zappa. Frank Zappa brought forth what was inside of him. What does Dweezil bring forth? He sells nostalgia. And it's expensive.
I would think that most Zappa fans would not believe DZ is adding anything, but that's not the point, as I said above. I don't give a fuck who's playing his music just as long as they do it competently. I don't care if they do exact transcribed arrangements like DZ's bunch, or loose interpretations like Le Bocal or Colin Towns, it all makes for a good night out. Recordings are a different matter where it's Le Bocal or Colin Towns that I prefer to listen to at home rather than Dweezil like "clones" as you refer to it. I either listen to FZ's own abums, or the more experimental of the cover bands.
downer mydnyte wrote:
Trendmonger makes sense as the cheerleader for this.
The sickening thing about Trendy is his sycophantically narrow view of how FZ's music should be played and I suppose he has been kind of led there by the ZFT. I disagree with most of their views about what being faithful to the composer's intent actually means.

If I want an opinion about a brain tumor, I'll ask a neurosurgeon, if I want an opinion about being faithful to a composer's intent I'll ask a composer and seeing as I am a composer who gives just as much of a fuck about what anyone else thinks about me as Frank himself did, I'll make up my own mind about what's appropriate.

I appreciate your perspective.

I never stop wondering why Frank Zappa fans support something that turns so many people off from his music. Music is not about notes. I know at least 6 people who thought they didn't like Frank Zappa because they had the unfortunate experience of hearing Dweezil first. I also resent having to specify which Zappa I am talking about when I say Zappa.

Shouldn't we at least insist on originality and new compositions from these people we pay 70+ dollars to see? Is our need for nostalgia that great?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm 

New spew! Thanks for the tip, coevad

Gary Gary wrote on May 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM

".....Enigmas 1 Thru 5 from Finer Moments is an exciting number. Just the kind of Frank Zappa composition that will give Ryan Brown and various excelent musicians using percussion samples, (that can be perfpormed by Chris Norton and Scheila Gonzalez), a workout."

"In some locals their are some folks that have the audacity to make jokes of how ZPZ will perform Frank Zappa works sans the physical marimba. Time and time again Frank Zappa used samples in both live and studio works. While the clouds did open up when Ruth Underwood had barcus berry's drilled into her marimba there are quite a number of performances where the sound is more important than what can or can not fit into the tour van or the orchestra budget.Some of these jokes make it look like some supposed fans are not even in the ballpark of understanding how Frank composed. Not only do I love Frank's use of percussion but I have no problem with a keyboard player or two performing multiple percussion parts. I would like to hear some of FZs compositions that focus on percussion. In speaking of ZPZ performances, surely The Black Page has had it's fair share of stage time, but I am hoping for a different kind of finer moment so to speak........"

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Shouldn't we at least insist on originality and new compositions from these people we pay 70+ dollars to see? Is our need for nostalgia that great?
There's a band in Adelaide that call themselves Läther. They're conservatory standard musicians and they play FZ's music very well. I pay twenty bucks to get in when they play at one of the local pubs, which is not that often but it's enough for me - and they don't damage my ears the way ZPZ does. Seriously, if he really is that professional why does he have to ruin it by playing too loud?

Cue Trendy on ear damage and true believers.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 am 

Pope Jim wrote:

"In some locals their are some folks that have the audacity to make jokes of how ZPZ will perform Frank Zappa works sans the physical marimba. "

That would be me, among others. But I don't "joke" about it. I just have an opinion on sounds; I am entitled to that without anybody being offended ("audacity", pfffft). Also, I would guess that most Zappa fans would favor Ruth or Ed over Alan Zavod's DX-7-generated "percussion". When Zappa made these choices, surely he was experimenting, but sometimes finances also played a role. Can I say that "Strictly Genteel" was not the best composition played by ZPZ when I saw them last? It was a courageous attempt given the line up of essentially only five musicians, but not up to par with any of Zappa's renditions with a rock band. (They did a lot other great songs; DZ cooked big time on Packard Goose.)

It is interesting how Gary can defend ANYTHING DZ does. If DZ decided to perform all of the catalog backwards and solo, using a flexatone only, Gary would salute it as a major step in moving the project forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 am 

HJ wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

"In some locals their are some folks that have the audacity to make jokes of how ZPZ will perform Frank Zappa works sans the physical marimba. "

That would be me, among others. But I don't "joke" about it. I just have an opinion on sounds; I am entitled to that without anybody being offended ("audacity", pfffft). Also, I would guess that most Zappa fans would favor Ruth or Ed over Alan Zavod's DX-7-generated "percussion". When Zappa made these choices, surely he was experimenting, but sometimes finances also played a role. Can I say that "Strictly Genteel" was not the best composition played by ZPZ when I saw them last? It was a courageous attempt given the line up of essentially only five musicians, but not up to par with any of Zappa's renditions with a rock band. (They did a lot other great songs; DZ cooked big time on Packard Goose.)

It is interesting how Gary can defend ANYTHING DZ does. If DZ decided to perform all of the catalog backwards and solo, using a flexatone only, Gary would salute it as a major step in moving the project forward.

This post needs to go on GT's profile @dzw. Good one HJ.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am 

coevad wrote:
HJ wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

This post needs to go on GT's profile @dzw. Good one HJ.

I agree. I agree with what HJ wrote and I agree with coevad. However, I don't want to blow my cover over there yet. Anybody else want to bite the bullet?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am 

Oh, goodie gumdrops. More gas from our classical ass, this in reply to a question about his blog, "Something's Coming.". Read it and seep.

Special Ed wrote on May 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Something came, all right. Joe Travers is gone. Explain that.

Gary wrote on May 20, 2013 at 08:56 PM

Reply (Part 2).....The so called fans that fodder the negativity about this and other issues. At times Kapt is very much about fodderism. Dweezil has always been very open and honest with us here. Sometimes friends do learn about things before Dweezil has an opportunity to expand on things. I supported how Dweezil and the ZFT went about this and all changes since Zappa Plays Zappa began playing live in April of 2006. I have always kept things confidential until official announcements are made. History has shown that a number of so called fans get involved with far too much fodderism when change thakes palce. While I have not felt the need to do so in a quick knee jerk reaction manner one of these days I'll write a nice blog about Joe Travers. The last 20 years have been quite a ride.

Gary wrote on May 20, 2013 at 08:56 PM

Reply(Part 1) I've been a friend of Joe Travers for a very long time. We've been friends throghout his career with Dweezil, Warren Cuccrurulo and Duran Duran. There is no reason to bring our private conversations into Dweezil Zappa World where the likes of Kapt.Kirk will pervert the issue at hand. Kapt.Kirk has repeatedly brought forth a school yard agenda.

Kapt.Kirk is an example, one of many reasons as to why I have always kept many things confidential until official announcements are made. I've even grown to admire Jaypfunk more than Kapt.Kirk over the last year. I've been noticing Jayp has shown a sense of decorum on a number of issues, the change in the drum chair is one of them.......

Trendbungler apparently has no idea what "fodder" means, but he's turned it into an ideology, regardless -- fodderism. Kapt. Kiirk, you unrepentant fodderist! It's a good thing the House Un-American Activities Committee no longer exists. You'd be in deep, dark doodoo. One congressman in particular would have a big Boehner for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

Gag me with a fucking spoon, first off this knuckle head should have told Special Ed it was none of his fucking business since the Zappa's on the trust and band they can do what ever they fucking want without anyone’s permission... :idea:

Second I can care less what this knucklehead knows, thinks he knows, or wants to know... :!:

Third where does this knucklehead get off commenting on anyone else's opinion and capping on it...he needs to stay in his own lane we have got along just fine with out him and his knuckle-headed-ness....when it comes to Douche Bags and shit sandwich's he wins... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm 

I posted a couple of opinions, nothing negative of course, and now it's all just fodder?!? I,..I..I can't stand it! (I really can't stand it) He can't answer a question he can only spread his fodder all over me. :roll:
Gee, I'm below JP in his ratings. That's an honor, not a bummer. The guy sure can set "bait", trouble is he don't know what he's fishing for and has the wrong or dare I say negative bait on his hook. I knew he couldn't answer anything I posted without attacking me personally. He really whips himself into a foddering frenzy on this one, doesn't he?
Now he's hurt and must run tell Dweezil, now off you go Titoney...scoot!
That's the best he can come up with? Why the little shit didn't even answer one question, just turned them into his own fodder against me. What will his modder think of all this? :mrgreen:

Back to you PJ........

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 am 

KaptKirk is trending again at dzw. Hey Kiirk, when does the next episode of 'Trendy & The Kaptain start?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm 

coevad wrote:
KaptKirk is trending again at dzw. Hey Kiirk, when does the next episode of 'Trendy & The Kaptain start?

Don't you mean The Kapt. & Trendille. Perhaps you'd prefer Gary Fuckett and The Gooey, Drippy, Runny, Smelly, Kinda' Union Gap? (Gary's Enormous Mouth, it's all brown)
Why worry coevad? It'll all be posted here sooner or later. The guy don't bug me as much as you'd think. He's more of a source of entertainment now anyway. There's no "Breakin' News" or anything.
If your so concerned though, why not try and have a dialog with Gary about any alumni on DZW and see where that takes you. :mrgreen:

I'm not gonna get banned if those are the flames your fanning. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 am 

Pope Jim wrote:

Trendbungler apparently has no idea what "fodder" means, but he's turned it into an ideology, regardless -- fodderism.

Fodderstompf?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg_KMM1yzI
"We only want to be LOOOVED" would apply to Trendy himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 am 

Fodderist Unite!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:53 am 

Two minutes of "Fodderstompf" was all I could take. They're gonna need a more rousing anthem if they ever hope to take down the evil Trendmonger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next