Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Talk To Frank Here.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:39 am 

Caputh wrote:
I think your thread is a very nice idea zutbof and I like reading your posts, but I'm assuming that Frank didn't talk to you when he was alive. Now that he's dead, don't you think the chances of a proper conversation have been reduced even further?

Oh, stop being such a Spock. Logic has nothing to do with this thread. Tis a fools errand to even try applying it , my learned friend. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm 

Of course, you're right. I'd be a pathetic stand-in for Spock. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Of course, you're right. I'd be a pathetic stand-in for Spock. :oops:

Now that's logical. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 pm 

I disagree.

Caputh is Vulcan, KaptK. And he has no ego to bruise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

coevad wrote:
I disagree.

Caputh is Vulcan, KaptK. And he has no ego to bruise.

Why would I want to bruise Spock's or Caputh's ego? They are after all The Kapt.'s friends, are they not? :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm 

So both Kiirk and I are wrong?
Fascinating :wink:

BTW. I know fuck-all about science, so I can't be Spock. Mr GG anybody?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm 

Hey Frank, do you like your headstone?

AHA! Gottcha! There isn't a headstone!!

What, cat got your tongue?

I forgive you for Francesco Zappa. :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

I have it on good authority that FZ can be spoken to but only if you're a denizen of The Piano.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:03 am 

Caputh wrote:
I think your thread is a very nice idea zutbof and I like reading your posts, but I'm assuming that Frank didn't talk to you when he was alive. Now that he's dead, don't you think the chances of a proper conversation have been reduced even further?
My english was not very good before and i was more focusing on music than lyrics, so i discovered the meaning of his songs lately :| . So now he knows i understand more he decided to talk to me :mrgreen: Thanks Caputh!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:11 am 

CityHallFred yeah i have a thread about if we are or not in the big piano. Maybe to be in we have to believe we are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I just rewatched Religulous, Bill Maher's Docu/Film. I'd love to have heard Frank and Bill discuss religion, although I think they both would agree with each other on most points, that would still be very be interesting to me. With minds like that maybe we could find a way to stamp out all these for profit sellers & spewer's of gods/fears/devils/potions and death, and shit that you know just ain't so, that is organized religion of any faith today.

As much as I like Bill I think Frank would have pointed out Bill's BS tactics of only going after/interviewing dumb religious types. He They're all easy targets and he knows it.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
As much as I like Bill I think Frank would have pointed out Bill's BS tactics of only going after/interviewing dumb religious types. He They're all easy targets and he knows it.

They were easy, because they actually believe in that shit. That was more the point. It should of been called "Aw Come On, You Know That Men Wrote The New Testament Bable 200yrs. after Jesus' Death And You Still Believe This Is God's Word? Really, Come on!" :roll: It wasn't a real super serious piece, more showing the ridiculousness people take these things too. I think the whole thing was shot in N. Carolina, where it looked like there's more churches than bars on every block. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 pm 

I think Bill would have to have done even deeper research to find non-dumb religious types. Can anyone name me any?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:20 pm 

Caputh wrote:
I think Bill would have to have done even deeper research to find non-dumb religious types. Can anyone name me any?

Buddhists - no real problem
Rastafarians - no real problem
Hare krisnas - no real problem
Hindus / sikhs - no real problem
Everyone else - bollocks...
TT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 pm 

deuce wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I think that's a bit simplistic, actually. There's a lot of spirituality and altruism in Christianity, Judaism and Islam in addition to the horseshit, and a lot of horseshit and violence among the religions you mention.

- Singhalese Buddhists have oppressed and butchered Tamils in Sri Lanka for decades
- Mahatma Gandhi was one of many victims of Hindu nationalist violence during the fighting after Britain withdrew from India in 1948, and Hindu nationalism still causes much violence and instability
- Although Sikhs are peaceful and altruistic as a rule, it was a Sikh guard who assasinated Indira Gandhi

I don't know enough about Rastafarianism and Hare Krishna, but gay people are severely discriminated in Jamaica and I haven't seen Rastafaris condemning that. And I should think there are some sect domination/brainwashing problems with Hare Krishna, in addition to the spirituality, bongos and vegetables.

That's from someone who has a positive interest in religion as a whole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:41 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
deuce wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I think that's a bit simplistic. There's a lot of spirituality and altruism in Christianity, Jewry and Islam in addition to the horseshit, and a lot of horseshit and violence among the religions you mention.

- Singhalese Buddhists have oppressed and butchered Tamils in Sri Lanka for decades
- Mahatma Gandhi was one of many victims of Hindu nationalist violence during the fighting after Britain withdrew from India in 1948, and Hindu nationalism still causes much violence and instability
- Although Sikhs are peaceful and altruistic as a rule, it was a Sikh guard who assasinated Indira Gandhi

I don't know enough about Rastafarianism and Hare Krishna, but gay people are severely discrininated in Jamaica and I haven't seen Rastafaris condemning that. And I should think there are some sect domination/brainwashing problems with Hare Krishna, in addition to the spirituality, bongos and vegetables.

That's from someone who has a positive interest in religion as a whole

It's the christains & muslims that Kill for they're religion. Not any I see listed there will kill you. After the Holocaust the Jews will kill you too...if you fuck with them. Big dif. The others will hunt you out or live next to you in peace and then whammo it's Jihad!! Alalalallalalal! Yikes! Or you don't love jesus?!? Blam blam blam. There's violent religions and peaceful ones. We always say were peaceful and then fuck around in shit around the world we have no idea or biz being in. Just like our Muslim brothers we taught to do & made them suckers rich are doing now! I wonder if it's the capitalism of both that draws them together, or just pure hate of anything different. I get that here enough 'n CA. for Chrissy's sake. Where freedom's just another word. No mas.
That's also propaganda. Good or bad it's mine. Trust me, it's better than all the rest has to offer. (if you want to debate about it) :wink:

Edit: Say hi to FZ ZutBof and I'll say hi too, should he speak to me again. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
It's the christains & muslims that Kill for they're religion. Not any I see listed there will kill you. After the Holocaust the Jews will kill you too...

I've known many Christians, Moslems and Jews, and none of them have wanted to kill me, not even after the Holocaust :P And furthermore, as I said --

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:28 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
It's the christains & muslims that Kill for they're religion. Not any I see listed there will kill you. After the Holocaust the Jews will kill you too...

I've known many Christians, Moslems and Jews, and none of them have wanted to kill me, not even after the Holocaust :P And furthermore, as I said --

If I was in the mid-east where the religions meet. I'd be stoned by all groups, if I didn't act like I agree with their fantasies & superstitions and was able to freely tell them what folly religion is, was and has always been. That's a fact Jack! :o
I lived with a horny little Jewish Princess in college. Said she'd leave if I didn't say I love you or some crap like that, anyway it's winter quarter and snowing so what the hell...I fell in love...just like she wanted me to. Then was told she'd never "marry" out of her religion and she did plan on getting married. Apparently I was in the way and was tossed asunder like a rag doll! Me a Kapt. & all! :cry: What that proves, I'll never know. But if you want love, do you have to reproduce within your own religion to receive it back from your ...ahem... "god"? What a conniving little bastard to believe in then I sez! :P

I have friends of all religions, I'm just sayin' my truth, as I've found it, doesn't lie in a religion or a god/spirit for that matter. I lies in me, it lies in you. We all have it. Some just can't believe they're alright the way they are and need that shit just to live with themselves. I was born 1/2 free of religion & earned the rest. Shouldn't we all strive to be better human beings before asking some gods to help us? :wink:

Here I am getting all heavy, must be the 20yrs of Zappadan coming up. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:03 am 

My point is that there's violence in all religions' name, not just the usual suspects. And that spirituality and altruism aren't exclusive to a few hip new-age compatible belief systems.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:23 am 

I see no problem with picking and choosing bits of religion that are appealing and put it in your own little basket. Buddhists, hindus and hare krisnas generally don't eat meat - which I agree with - but I don't believe in reincarnation etc. Some of the ten commandments make sense to me, but I don't believe there is a god. There is probably something to 'karma', and something to meditation, but I don't really have time to sit around doing it.
Religion is like politics; if you sign up to one side, its always gonna be a compromise.
And then you bomb the shit out of people who believe something else.
TT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 am 

Religion is a good endoctrinement meter to see who believe in what and also a control tool who is owned by who. It can be a way to feel better cuz human need to believe in something that help them to reduce the pain of being in a world with injustices. Each country need a tool to keep their sheeps in their towns as a good consumers and tax payers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:28 am 

Actually, I was being a bit flippant above, I must admit, although I'm not sure I agree with the remarks about Hare Krishna - I'm never really keen on anything that involves a uniform and lots of tuneless singing... actually, I'm being flippant again ( :roll: to myself)

However, I have just remembered, there is one religious guy who comes off pretty well in "Religulous" and that is that Catholic priest he meets at the Vatican...
(44 minutes on in the following clip)
http://vimeo.com/53480379

I think Maher's intention with "Religulous" was to show that blind fanaticism in anything is not a good idea. Since the film is really about religious fanatics, it's surely hardly surprising that he interviews religious fanatics.... and gets an appropriate response.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 am 

I have a soft spot for the hare krisnas for this reason: Back in the early 1980s, some of them lived in a country estate called Croome Court in Worcestershire (bought for them by George Harrison). Every sunday, they would cook a 'feast' and anyone was invited to eat all they could, as long as you sat with them whilst they told you their cranky stories of 'out of body experiences' etc ect. As me and my friends were all unemployed at the time, it was just about the only decent meal we ate all week. And the food was really great.
TT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:00 pm 

Caputh wrote:
However, I have just remembered, there is one religious guy who comes off pretty well in "Religulous" and that is that Catholic priest he meets at the Vatican...
(44 minutes on in the following clip)
http://vimeo.com/53480379

Was Religulous filmed before the latest Pope was ordained? The priest said all this Vatican pomp and posh digs were against his and the bables basic beliefs. A lot like the pope does now. He said the same about the popes living quarters. They were too posh. The new pope won't live in there either, same reason. The priest did come off as being more pious and in line with the teaching of the new testament, (the life of jesus christ & other short stories) than all the other red robed cardinals or royal burgundy draped bishops that live in the Vatican put together. He seemed like a nice, happy, light hearted fellow too. 8)
The ones who are the most nuts to me are those mormons. (Latter Day sAin'ts) I lived by the mormon temple in Oakland, CA for a year. It must be where they launch their missions in life. Everyone one of those mofo's had to knock on my door before moving on to they're mission. It must have been like some kinda hazing for them. Me and Rick Overacker always had a cold one waiting for them after we figured out vulgarities didn't phase or stun them. We offer, they politely decline, we become absolutely insulted that they don't have the decency to toast America with us in our own house, godamnit! Had one pee his pants! Ah, the daze of youth, the passion for life and daring your buddy to push the mormons envelope. :twisted:
Seriously, you have to believe that everything John Smith (their modern day profit) said, as the word of god. And just as sure as you're sitting there, they do believe it. If you even doubt, your out. All hail, here's Johnny! :roll:

Edit: As I'm watching the last game in the old stadium at ND, they would be playing BYU. Battle of the prophets for profit?

Got any mormons in your neck of the woods Frank? Can't hurt trying, right ZutBof?! :wink: :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:30 pm 

deuce wrote:
I have a soft spot for the hare krisnas for this reason: Back in the early 1980s, some of them lived in a country estate called Croome Court in Worcestershire (bought for them by George Harrison). Every sunday, they would cook a 'feast' and anyone was invited to eat all they could, as long as you sat with them whilst they told you their cranky stories of 'out of body experiences' etc ect. As me and my friends were all unemployed at the time, it was just about the only decent meal we ate all week. And the food was really great.
TT

That's understandable - I hope they didn't force you to sing "My Sweet Lord", tho'. If they did, I hope it was the pirate version...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACyZIXkHq0

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Was Religulous filmed before the latest Pope was ordained? The priest said all this Vatican pomp and posh digs were against his and the bables basic beliefs. A lot like the pope does now. He said the same about the popes living quarters. They were too posh. The new pope won't live in there either, same reason. The priest did come off as being more pious and in line with the teaching of the new testament, (the life of jesus christ & other short stories) than all the other red robed cardinals or royal burgundy draped bishops that live in the Vatican put together. He seemed like a nice, happy, light hearted fellow too. 8)

It was filmed when John Paul II was Pope. I suppose he's lucky he kept his job, He's great though, isn't he? If more priests were like him, I'd go to church more often...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next