Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:47 am 

Don't know about those three guys, but there was an earthquake in Italy last week. Over 30 people killed, 3000 people homeless (don't know how accurate these figures are, I'm doing this from memory). Very tragic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:04 pm 

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes, it seems that at least three people were killed during the riots. Here's an interview with Frank where he talks about this incident.<br><br><br>Interviewer:<br>Goes a long way back. Last year you had a riot on your hands in Italy - or Sicily? <br><br>Frank Zappa:<br>Sicily. <br><br>Interviewer:<br>You went there for a visit of the old roots. <br><br>Frank Zappa:<br>That's right. I wanted to see the town that my father was born in and I went there and I saw it and then we played the concert and the next thing you know, you have the army and the police; each with their own general telling them what to do; an audience that had brought their own guns; and they're shooting tear gas and tearing up this stadium that we were playing in. We played for an hour and a half in this riot with tear gas in our face and everything else, and when it was all over we went off the stage and we were trapped inside this place. The audience was circling around outside shooting at the police and the police were shooting back. <br><br>Interviewer:<br>It wasn't a very nostalgic view of your roots, was it? <br><br>Frank Zappa:<br>Well, I got a pretty good idea of what my Sicilian roots are like after seeing the town of Partinico - it was pretty bleak. <br><br><br>Here's part of an interview with Steve Vai:<br><br>Why did you end up parting ways (with Frank Zappa)?<br><br>"Well we were playing the last show of the tour, the European Tour, we were in Sicily - it was like for a hundred, eighty thousand people - and it turned into a big political demonstration ... a big riot! The cops just lost control and started shooting tear gas into the audience, shooting into the crowd, three kids got killed. Frank was just disgusted, he had said all along that was his last tour.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:38 am 

GENEVA FAREWELL...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:52 am 

[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=legends;num=1036608082;start=0#4 date=11/06/02 at 16:55:40]would be cool to have shots from that show on DVD; I got a clip on video somewhere from Canadian TV where you can see Ray White singing with tears in his eyes...[/quote]<br><br>Hm, since I do not own all the FZ video material available*, isn&acute;t this scene included also in the Video From Hell? ???<br><br>In some other thread we discussed about how dangerous and nerve kiling rockshows can be. There you go. That&acute;s why Frank alwys liked the people to sit down, not push around and stuff. But luckil, most of the shows are harmless though.<br><br>*theorerically... :( ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:57 am 

[quote author=Dr.Including link=board=legends;num=1036608082;start=0#7 date=11/07/02 at 10:31:58]<br>?[/quote]<br><br>That quote is from the second disc of YCDTOSA Vol. 5<br>It's from a show from the '82 tour and during the show some members of the audience keep throwing stuff onto the stage.<br>At one point Frank announces to the audience:<br>''If you throw anything else on stage, the concert is over...''<br>And then after a while he says: ''House lights...the concert is over...''<br><br>It seems as if Italy and Zappa don't mix very well.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:07 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=legends;num=1036608082;start=0#8 date=11/07/02 at 10:57:34]<br>It seems as if Italy and Zappa don't mix very well.<br>[/quote] This event wasn't recorded in Italy, but in Geneva, Switzerland.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:14 am 

You're partially right, ZF. That happened as well, but the recording called 'Geneva Farewell'  on YCDTSOA #5 where Frank ends the show because people are throwing stuff on stage was definitely recorded in Switzerland (July 1, 1982). <br><br>-- Wow, my 501'st post, L.O.R.D status.  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:15 am 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1036608082;start=0#10 date=11/07/02 at 11:07:25]<br> This event wasn't recorded in Italy, but in Geneva, Switzerland. [/quote]<br><br>Shit, you're right...<br>Stupid stupid stupid...<br>I have to take geography-classes...it's been a while.