Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:02 pm 

[quote author=josh link=board=legends;num=1037350139;start=45#54 date=11/18/02 at 20:28:01]<br><br>Really, please provide quotes about FZ's contradictory statements. Thank you.<br><br>Performing orchestral material isn't a completely different thing! Musicians reading music on stage (FZ's orchestras and horn sections in his rock bands) is not that different than performing material on stage while sight reading it (FZ's rock bands). They are both still performing music on stage.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Forgive me for jumping in again, but from what I have read Dr. Including isn't talking about FZ's performances of orchestral material and performances of rock-type material as being a "completely different thing," although they are different in several ways; he's addressed the notion of differences between the motivations for each. As he stated,<br><br>"You just cant treat the motivation for rock tours like Frank's attempts to perform the orchestral stuff. It's a totally different thing."<br><br>Indeed, one of the motivations for Zappa's "rock tours" was to make money. Zappa has stated that he fully expected to lose money on his orchestral projects.<br><br>BTW, Zappa's rock bands didn't "sight-read" the material onstage unless they were performing a piece of music that hadn't been rehearsed enough to commit  to memory ("Satumaa" or something along those lines). His bands spent months memorizing their parts. The orchestras with which he worked did not, off-point as this observation might be.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:46 pm 

josh, I'm sorry; I'm having a difficult time understanding what you're trying to say. <br><br>Dr. Including, your reference to "orchestral stuff" pertains to Zappa's projects with symphony orchestras, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:44 am 

[quote author=josh link=board=legends;num=1037350139;start=60#69 date=11/19/02 at 03:32:04]So, let's end it now...[/quote]<br>good idea, josh:  "END IT NOW".<br><br>[quote author=josh link=board=legends;num=1037350139;start=60#69 date=11/19/02 at 03:32:04]...because I'm hungry and I think I'm gonna go to the 7 11 and get me some hot chocolate, chips and a hot dog...[/quote]<br>brain food, huh?  well that helps to explain a lot.<br>this has been your most relevant and informative post to date.<br>thank you.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:46 pm 

I believe the bootlegging issue certainly had something to do with the lessening of premier material during the 80's tours - given his statements about it - but to me the 80's were primarily the period in which FZ became less interested in rock music, and started getting even more serious about producing orchestral work.  Thing Fish was pretty much his last real studio 'rock' album - all the studio releases from '86 to '93 were mostly if not entirely of the non-rock styles.