Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: punk.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:11 pm 

ive read a few threads here and some poeple have a hateful attitude for punk. what gives? i am huge into punk, i admit it really doesnt take alot of talent but there are a handful of punk bands that really had something to offer,- black flag, x, swans, butthole surfers, etc... 80's stuff. dont hate!

Post subject: Re: punk.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:58 pm 

I find it's relly hard to wrap my hand around the tuning pegs when playing in G#. Otherwise Punk is like a pnuematic experience; Like lashing Mikes to a sewing machine on 440. (Volts) I highly recommend "The Victim's Family" for the slicing edge of the progressive Punk vanguard. If that doesn't warm up your confinement loaf; it's probably time to toss it out anyway. See Perry Como or get on the Rite Aid Muzak <br>rotation pool. <br><br><br>By the way... I've got this really Boss painting I wish to mail to Moon; but I cannot seem to unmine the harbor. Anyone got her email address?<br><br>MrFirstNighter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:37 pm 

There are quite a few bands that could be labeled punk or are influenced by punk that I like.  Heck, probably most new wave bands from the 80's and alt-rock bands and hard rock bands from the 90's on were inspired in part by punk.  Punks: The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols.  New Wave: Blondie, The Talking Heads, Devo, early Elvis Costello, B-52's, Boomtown Rats, Alt-Rock:Meat Puppets, Cracker are some bands I've liked that were punks or influenced by punk.  I don't like doom and gloom bands that just sound mad and hateful and depressed.  They need to have a sense of humor and some creativity.    

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:09 am 

Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, NOMEANSNO!!!, Agnostic Front, Ludichrist, DRI, Fear....I like the hardcore stuff that was around when i was younger, i haven´t really followed the scene so much lately. But i still think that the bands i mentioned are great and by no means lacking talent.<br><br>However i really hate the current wawe of trendy pop "punk", or power pop or whatever they want to call that. You know, the sum 41, Blink 182, Green Day ( not sure if they exist anymore). That shit is lame.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:40 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=0#6 date=12/11/02 at 11:40:21]<br><br><br>That's my list, palokas... I don't listen to punk nowadays but I used to like it very very much.[/quote]<br><br>I still dig out the old vinyls once in a while and give them a spin. And when i do i always remember the line from Cruising With Ruben & The Jets: "Ten years from now you´ll be sitting with your friends someplace doing the same thing if there´s anything left to sit on." Good times...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:27 am 

I've always liked Entertainment by Gang of Four. Is that considered punk?  Also Nadir's Big Chance by Peter Hammill...a 1975 release considered a seminal influence by some Brit punkers...and lest we forget Flower Punk.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:01 pm 

Everyone should own a copy of "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" by the Dead Kennedys.  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:26 am 

Well, labeling always is a peoblem. But as far as attitude goes - which started out to be anti-establishment - I can pretty much go for that. Musically, well I like some stuff. Punk was an idea which made many influences on pop angain. So, nothing wrong with that. <br>You also could say FZ and punk have something in common, and also the opposite is true. Frank was convinced punk was nothing more than an invention of the english rock press and mayor companies. It became a vehicle, for sure. Just like Grunge. But that doesnt mean all music using a 2-chord scheme is "bad". FZ used it, too (Black Napkins f.i.). But that was not the issue here, was it?  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:46 pm 

[quote author=palokas link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=0#5 date=12/11/02 at 05:09:36]Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, NOMEANSNO!!!, Agnostic Front, Ludichrist, DRI, Fear....I like the hardcore stuff that was around when i was younger, i haven´t really followed the scene so much lately. But i still think that the bands i mentioned are great and by no means lacking talent.<br><br>However i really hate the current wawe of trendy pop "punk", or power pop or whatever they want to call that. You know, the sum 41, Blink 182, Green Day ( not sure if they exist anymore). That shit is lame.[/quote]<br><br>I agree with all the above sentiments. The Bad Brains were an awesome band. As far as crossover goes, S.O.D. are another favorite. Operation Ivy were pretty cool, more of a punk/ska, 'ska-core' deal, members of whom went on to form Rancid - whose last 2 albums (at least) are kick ass! NOFX write some great, funny tunes and are awesome live. IMO Offspring should be on the above list of sucksters, but Green Day are certainly the main offenders in this department. Who's seen the video for 'time of my life?' MTV get off the air! That shit is lame indeed.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:14 am 

ever heard of mark e. smith and "the fall"?, guess they 're punk, still do records (meanwhile i guess about 25 records since 1978), they still sound modern and pregnant, watch out, and then tell again, if you like punk or not, ahoy, ray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:17 am 

friends of mine are/were really into punk. Picked up a band or 2, namely Leatherface and New Bomb Turks.<br><br>Both intelligent, raw, not all fun & games. <br><br>On the other hand, I must admit imo Blink 182 is also kinda good, really well recorded, good structures, great sound... okay, it's pop, it's light, it's teeny, and they joined the commercial media circus, but who cares?

Post subject: Re: punk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:57 am 

you got to like the old school stuff, like doo-wop it has a sense of humor, the Sex Pistols' lp Never Mind the Bollocks is one of the funniest things I've ever heard!!!!<br>I don't think they were sincere it was just unintentional hilarity!  ;D<br>you should also check out the Misfits too, the early stuff only, when they had a soul  :'(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:08 pm 

[quote author=RayBuckmiller link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=0#12 date=12/13/02 at 06:14:42]ever heard of mark e. smith and "the fall"?, guess they 're punk, still do records (meanwhile i guess about 25 records since 1978), they still sound modern and pregnant, watch out, and then tell again, if you like punk or not, ahoy, ray[/quote]<br><br>I saw "the fall" live earlier this year at 'All tomorrows parties', and they were terrible. Mark E. drank an entire bottle of scotch in the course of a hour and ended the set a mumbling, staggering incoherent wreck. Or was that how he started the set? All my friends walked out after 10 minutes. Definitely the worst band at the festival.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:08 pm 

hey white chris,  minutmen definately punk.    again we find common ground. ,   i only have 3 way tie (for last).   i guess d. boon was a real enigma.  i do like the early firehose records that came out after he died.     i think firehose qualifies as punk.   <br><br>rd<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:45 pm 

I was a punk before you were a punk,<br>you want some action, I'll put your ass in traction,<br>I was a punk before you were a punk,<br>you don't believe me, just step outside and see me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:50 am 

Complete offense intended, most of the hiney's in here don't know anything about punk other than what they've heard from their parents.<br><br>Punk lived and died in the 70's and is no more.  There were/are no american punk bands now or ever.  Punk was a UK thing...What was considered "punk" in america was a simple (and everlasting) revolt against generic radio crap and over-bloated stadium rock.  If anything, it was more a return to roots rock n' roll than anything else....American style.  But not punk.<br><br>It had more in common with Buddy Holly and even Leadbelly than real UK punk which spun off of the "glam" crap prevalent in the UK back in the 70's.<br><br>And then there was Frank   :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:14 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#21 date=12/18/02 at 06:44:02]<br>Wow, thank you for this exciting insight into this fine musical style. You sure set me straight. Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Can I help it if you're an imbecile?  Punk wasn't a "fine musical style" as you so ineptly state.  Punk was a way of life, Dickweed.  <br><br>So...hows life in the suburbs?  Are your mom and dad swingers?  Do they make you mow the lawn while they fuck the neighbors?  Have you taken it up the ass at church camp yet?  <br><br>??? ??? ???<br><br>Say hi to the gang at the mall!!!<br><br>Love,<br><br>OS<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:27 pm 

[quote author=original_sinner link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#20 date=12/18/02 at 05:50:55]Complete offense intended, most of the hiney's in here don't know anything about punk other than what they've heard from their parents.<br><br>Punk lived and died in the 70's and is no more.  There were/are no american punk bands now or ever.  Punk was a UK thing.[/quote]<br><br>And you appear to be from Texas, so what in the blue hell do you know about it? Jackass. No offence intended.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:51 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#24 date=12/18/02 at 16:46:06]<br><br>There are some inaccuracies here. First, according to research I have done, the Ramones pre-dated the UK movement years in advance releasing their first album in 1976. The Sex Pistols released theirs in 1977. The Ramones pretty much rebelled against corporate stuff and are generally considered the first "real" punk band, being influenced by the forerunners of punk like the Stooges, the New York Dolls,  and even the Velvet Underground. The Sex Pistols even stated that they were influenced by the Ramones. The Ramones toured the UK even before the Pistol's (generally regarded as the first "real" UK punk thing) took off...they watched the Ramones perform in fact. O, and there are bands that are making music in the punk tradition, it's not dead...<br><br>[/quote] Thanks for saving me the time and trouble setting the record straight. Punk is not simply music, IT"S A FUCKING WAY OF LIFE! Up the punx!!!! I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this board. :-/<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:40 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#24 date=12/18/02 at 16:46:06]<br><br>There are some inaccuracies here. First, according to research I have done, the Ramones pre-dated the UK movement years in advance releasing their first album in 1976. The Sex Pistols released theirs in 1977. The Ramones pretty much rebelled against corporate stuff and are generally considered the first "real" punk band, being influenced by the forerunners of punk like the Stooges, the New York Dolls,  and even the Velvet Underground. The Sex Pistols even stated that they were influenced by the Ramones. The Ramones toured the UK even before the Pistol's (generally regarded as the first "real" UK punk thing) took off...they watched the Ramones perform in fact. O, and there are bands that are making music in the punk tradition, it's not dead...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Chuh-hah!!  Where'd you do yer research cupcake?  allmusic.com?  Bwwaaahahahahahahaha!!!!  Do you believe everything you read on the inet? (including my crap?) <br><br>Yes!  The Ramones came before the Sex Pistols (prematurely I might add)  Yes! They were influenced by NY Dolls, MC5, VU, and a host of others.  BUT THEY WEREN'T PUNK!!!  Punk is a UK coined term.  What was labeled "PUNK" in america was good old roots rock, stripped to its bare essentials and turned inside out!  Punk was a passing UK fancy that DIED and no one, yes NO ONE has the guts to drop the term from music altogether.   I guess you're gonna tell me that Jello Biafa and the DK's were punk.  Oh...what about Violent Femmes weren't they punk??? Aughhh!!! It's maddening!!! THERE IS/WAS NO PUNK IN AMERICA only piss-poor imatations of the guys who RE-PIONEERED roots rock....Like the Ramones...and the guys who re-pioneered novelty rock....NY Dolls...Stooges....etc...<br><br>Shit...don't take my word for it...ask Johnny Ramone on his website....Or David Johansen on his....<br><br>Johnny Ramones' website...ooooo HOW PUNK IS THAT??? ??? ???<br><br>Rock n' Roll isn't dead...No one seems to know what to call it anymore...That's All....<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:49 pm 

[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#25 date=12/18/02 at 17:27:58]<br><br>And you appear to be from Texas, so what in the blue hell do you know about it? Jackass. No offence intended.[/quote]<br><br>And you appear to be something I wiped my ass with...but you STILL don't know shit???<br><br>Put down yer vaseline and pay attention here...<br><br>FYI Chocolate-nose, The Pistols played San Antonio AND a gig here in Austin back in 77 at the Armadillo...and guess who got to watch???  They were bleeding and puking and spitting and fucking loving it...<br><br>If YOU came to Texas WE'd probably puke too...<br><br>All offenses intended and justly distributed :)<br><br>God how I love anonymity!!!<br><br>I'm actually a little old man with a sexy young gay lover!!!  IN TEXAS!!!<br><br>:)