Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: punk.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:24 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#29 date=12/18/02 at 18:59:39]<br><br>Well, it's true that ANY punk is an extension of Rock 'N Roll. UK also coined the term Heavy Metal after hearing Jimi Hendrix. These terms are not to be taken literally, they are a means of categorizing in essence. People like to categorize things. The Ramones weren't just "roots rock", what is that exactly? Chuck Berry? I don't see the parallel. It is however on a parallel with Garage-based rock like Alice Cooper. Both the Pistols and the Ramones liked to use 5ths with unrelenting speed for the most part. The Pistol's where more angry and the Ramone's took a more campy humourous approach. Call it what you will in the end BUT to me it's punk rock. Also, many where influenced by the punk rock aesthetic and used it as a guidepost to create their own music. The most obvious example is Nirvana, who stemmed from the punk tradition and evolved it into their own thing. Punk is generally a attitude more than anything else it's not really a country or time-period specific thing as you imply. Many punk-based bands are in existence today in fact...[/quote]<br><br>I completely respect your point of view.  Well said and very articulate...Where Rock is concerned, I tend to be very much a purist.  What are the parallels between say...Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and the Ramones?  Other than bpm's and blitzing progressions, not much really.  It's the same thing....stripped down three chord progressions under "racy" (Racy..Ohh THAT''S a HOOT!!) lyrics meant to shock the establishment of the day.  Nowhere was that more apparent than in the UK where punk was seen as a threat to the very fiber of society.  We've never done THAT over here in the US, (although Elvis and the Doors came close a couple of times) without mainstream opposition and denouncement.  And we, like the good little comfy americans that we are save all of our anger and frustration for pent up events like Woodstock or the occasional after-game college riot.  No my friend, we punks have never been truly punk as a whole.  I guess that's what I'm so bitter about...we splintered into a million pieces until it became so convoluted that it became "cool".  Arrghhhh!!!!  I hate "cool" and everything about it!!!  It's not punk!  Dammit!!!<br><br>That said, I invite you to go fuck yourself.  :)<br><br>SINNER<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:26 pm 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#31 date=12/18/02 at 19:24:45]If you really think about it, even though the Sex Pistols had decent songs, they were really nothing more than a punk N*Sync or Backstreet Boys. Didn't that Malcolm guy put the band together, much like the Monkees?[/quote]<br><br>Yep!  They were called Bow Wow Wow....<br><br>Hehehehehehehe<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:38 pm 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#33 date=12/18/02 at 19:35:26]<br><br><br>But didn't he also put the Pistols together? And write most of their songs?<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>He managed them...I think thay all knew each other prior to Malcom Maclaren...or most of them did from hanging out in his shop....But yeah...they were kinda like the Monkees weren't they? :)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:42 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#34 date=12/18/02 at 19:37:41]<br><br>Did punk rock in the UK really "shake-up and cause threat to the establishment"?? please...  Take your own advice bro. don't believe what you read...<br><br>What about the 2 Live Crew album "As Nasty As They Wanna Be"  or more importantly Body Count's "Cop Killer" song those are American and they caused a REAL stir meeting great mainstream opposition...<br><br>O, and...<br><br>Go eat your mother's cunt.   :D[/quote]<br><br>Agreed.  A lot of hype surrounds the genre.  I still think it died vaingloriously before 1979 reared its ugly head...<br><br>O, and....<br><br>I will as soon as your sister gets done... :D  tee hee<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:05 pm 

[quote author=original_sinner link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=15#28 date=12/18/02 at 18:49:32]<br><br>And you appear to be something I wiped my ass with...but you STILL don't know shit??? [/quote]<br><br>You must be confusing me with my brother toilet_rolls.<br><br><br>
Quote:
<br>I'm actually a little old man with a sexy young gay lover!!!  IN TEXAS!!!
<br><br>That's pretty much the impression that you give.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:27 pm 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#37 date=12/18/02 at 19:50:42]<br>And if you think this attitude you're pulling here, original-sinner, is working to show "punk credibility", it's really not, it's only working to show how much of a complete moron you are.<br><br>Thank you.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah and you need to get that "punk rod" outta yer ass...Who needs cred in a forum, chucky-cheese?  I sure as fuck don't...and damn sure not from any of you goat farmers...<br><br>On the other hand, if getting all worked up over this bullshit is what yer about, then I'm laughing in yer face...<br><br>Punk was never about gaining cred anyway. It was about doing away with cred...and seeing how I've done away with you and yours, you can go back to caressing Henry Rollins' genitalia for all I care...<br><br>If you're afraid to open your dick-hole in an internet forum and take a stand on something because you're afraid of - oh boo-fucking-hoo - "losing cred",  then being a "moron" is the least of my worries.<br><br>So, now that we've livened things up in here, anyone wanna talk about Frank?    :o  God how I love Zappa!  Of course you all know Frank was the founder of Punk....<br><br> ;D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:12 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#40 date=12/19/02 at 12:55:27]<br>Wow, you did it again. I am so humbled by your knowledge and choice of words. Apparently after you learned to call names and swear, you thought that was all you needed to make a point. I'm glad life is so simple for you. You sound like your basic Republican....you know everything and no one else's ideas can match yours. I'm sure punk really intended for people like you to carry its torch. <br>[/quote] Right fucking on man. I'd rather talk about things we like about punk in here instead of all this bitching back and forth. Get a life :-X<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:14 pm 

i know its a bit late in the day but id just like it to be regaisterd that ( going back to agencys inital post ) im one of those people who have a complete and utter loathing for that thing punk. i hate it and those involved with it with a vengance.<br>i especially hate punks who claim mottorhead where a punk band,which is baloney.<br>mungo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:24 pm 

I think that some punk is great, then again some isn't. It's the same with any type of music. Ramones are catchy, but repetative. They may not be good with their instruments but the lyrics are great. Rancid are very raw, but their bassist is the best I've ever heard. Listen to the solo in Maxwell Murder. <br><br>Anyways, I thought Zappa was about being open minded, why don't you 'punk suxs' people listen to some of it properly. You might enjoy it.<br><br>A mind is like a parachute, it will only function properley when open.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:16 pm 

wow! i started this thread just to see if there were poeple on the board like me who are into a lot of old punk/HARDCORE. and a zappa fanatic as well. is everybody on the rag or what? :-*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:54 am 

[quote author=agency_man link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=30#44 date=12/19/02 at 16:16:44]wow! i started this thread just to see if there were poeple on the board like me who are into a lot of old punk/HARDCORE. and a zappa fanatic as well. is everybody on the rag or what? :-*[/quote] Hey man, I'm WAY into PunkRock/HardCore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm also a big ZAPPA fan. I don't understand all these other people talking shit back and forth either. Find somewhere else to vent your bullshit. SO LET'S START TALKING ABOUT PUNK/HC ;D<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:00 pm 

Yeah, I'm pretty much up for anything.<br><br>I mostly have stuff like-<br>Ramones,DK, Surfers,RevCo,Mojo,Rollins,Iggy,and junk like that. <br><br>My son makes me tapes of bands like- Husker Du,Minutemen,The Replacements.<br><br>The little woman is really into Rancid..<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:58 am 

I'm into a ton of bands old and new such as....CRASS, SUBHUMANS, D.I.R.T., ICONS OF FILTH, VARUKERS, CONFLICT, RUDIMENTARY PENI, RIPCORD, HERESY, BLACK FLAG, MISFITS, SAMHAIN, AMEBIX, NAUSEA, EXTREME NOISE TERROR, DISCHARGE, MOB 47, OI POLLOI, FLUX OF PINK INDIANS, DEAD KENNEDYS, GERMS, CIRCLE JERKS, RAMONES, DEAD BOYS, RATTUS, TERVEET KADET, TOTALITAR, STRATFORD MERCENARIES, HARUM SCARUM, DISRUPT, DEFORMED CONSCIENCE, DEFIANCE, RESIST, DEPRIVED, UNAMUSED, LARM, SEEIN RED, VITAMIN X, CAUSTIC CHRIST, SCORNED, MISERY, EXCREMENT OF WAR, D.S. - 13, DISKONTO, CRUDE SS, DISORDER, HIATUS, ANTI-SECT, CRUCIFIX, EXTINCTION OF MANKIND, DISCLOSE, THE DAMNED, AUS ROTTEN, CODE 13, MDC, THE BUSINESS, THE MEATMEN, QUINCY PUNX, TOY DOLLS, COCKNEY REJECTS, SEX PISTOLS, DRI, GG ALLIN, FEAR, UK SUBS, MINOR THREAT, ACTIVE MINDS SPITBOY, SOCIAL DISTORTION, AMDI PETERSENS ARME, REAGAN YOUTH, DETESTATION, THE OPPRESSED, BGK, THE PARTISANS, DOOM, ASSUCK, REACT, BLITZ, DESTROY, TAMPERE SS, HELLKRUSHER, BUZZCOCKS, CHARGED GBH, CRESS, ABRASIVE WHEELS, CHRIST ON PARADE, NIPPLE ERECTORS, SSD, THE DILS, ONE WAY SYSTEM, DROP DEAD, 4 SKINS, STOOGES, BLANKS 77, THE UNDEAD, GOV'T ISSUE, SHAM 69, RIOT/CLONE, ANGELIC UPSTARTS, VOID, SOA, COCKSPARRER, RAW POWER, KAAOS, ANTI CIMEX, CHELSEA, OFFENDERS, DICKS, BUTTHOLE SURFERS, INFA RIOT, CHAOS UK, BAD BRAINS, SOB, THE CRAMPS, SKITSLICKERS, NECROS, SLAUGHTER AND THE DOGS, KRIGSHOT, ZOUNDS, RIISTETYT, ANTI PASTI, BEHIND ENEMY LINES, NEGATIVE FX, JERRYS KIDS, GANG GREEN , FU'S, HARD SKIN, NEGATIVE APPROACH, CONCRETE SOX, TEAR IT UP, THE MOB, NOTA, WARCOLLAPSE, HATED YOUTH, CALLOUSED, SCHWARTZENEGGAR, HELLNATION, SKITSYSTEM, SUBVERSIVES,  THE EXPLOITED, BROTHER INFERIOR, CHRIST ON A CRUTCH, SST, GISM, GLOOM, IRON CROSS, THE SYSTEM, AGNOSTIC FRONT, CRO-MAGS, FEARLESS IRANIANS FROM HELL, etc............ :o  How about the rest of you? ::)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:45 am 

Is punk a way of life, a scene or a musical genre for you?  <br>To me punk is saying: FUCK OFF!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:08 pm 

I'm sure most of you already know and/or saw the other thread for this but I wanted to say once again that IT REALLY FUCKING SUCKS that Joe Strummer is no longer with us. >:( ??? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:19 pm 

[quote author=fragile link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=45#49 date=12/22/02 at 12:45:06]Is punk a way of life, a scene or a musical genre for you?  <br>To me punk is saying: FUCK OFF![/quote] It's all those things in that order even, the most important being IT'S A FUCKING WAY OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:14 am 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=45#45 date=12/20/02 at 04:01:40]I am sorry for my comments, agency_man. I like punk music as a whole. But, it's trolls like original_sinner that really irk me. Coming in here, acting like he knows everything. Downtalking anybody with an opinion that differs from his. This board was doing just fine without the likes of him. Used to be the only poster we needed to worry about was the dopplegangerjosh, but he only picked on josh, and he seems to be able to take of himself.<br>Again, I am sorry for any negative comments I made in your thread. This board is not about negativity.<br>Thank you.[/quote]<br><br>Gee...I musta been acting like a PUNK!!!   There I go...doing what I do best!<br><br>I was a punk rocker before most of you li'l weenies in this forum were born.  It was my friends and I who took all the shit dished out by people (who were a lot like you) who HATED anyone for having ideas and listening to anything musically outside the mainstream.  That was Texas in 1975.  Foghat, ZZTop, and Willie Nelson ruled back then...and there we were with our first Ramones album, our piercings, our gobbing and the pre-cursor of mosh, SLAM DANCING...Punk never really caught on down here, but we hung in and took all the crap from these redneck losers and perservered just so all you little ingrates can yap on about "cred" and be so "cool" in your little punk-ass world.  Never forget those that went before you and kicked the fucking door open and then burned it.<br><br>Without us, the guys and girls who were the original punks, you little pussies would still be a bunch of little pussies listening to Elton John (which is what you fucking deserve) instead of the kick assedness of all the bands that followed the Ramones, the Pistols, the Clash, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Nick Lowe and the Stiffs, Jerry's Kids, the DK's, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Patti Smith, the Del Chameleons, the Champs, Lou fucking Reed and the rest of the originals who paid for punk in blood and gobs and sliced flesh.  So fuck you.<br><br>I'm outta this pice of shit "punk" forum.  And, since I appear to be the only fucking punk here, you can change the name of this thread to "whiney hineys" once I'm gone.  Eat shit you fucking moronic little apes.<br><br>Good Riddance!  <br><br>Actually, I'll think I'll stay.... :o :o :o  I'm having a lot of fun here....<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:38 am 

[quote author=original_sinner link=board=legends;num=1039587115;start=45#52 date=12/24/02 at 06:14:57]<br><br>Good Riddance!  <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Used to be a very good punkband, but after they changed their drummer they started to suck.  They are still around but who cares? ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:50 am 

I thought The Damned were the most interesting of the 70's punk thing, great humour the most disgusting thing I saw them do was at a gig when Captain sensible laid down on the floor with his mouth wide open while the punks at the front of the stage gobbed in it!, that still makes me cringe now.  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:08 pm 

I LOVE THE DAMNED! In fact I'm listening to a compilation cd I made yesterday of The Damned, weird. Never heard that gobbing story before. Thanks for the visual, I'm gonna go throw up now............. :-X :-X :-X :-X