Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Serious vs. Humorous
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:42 am 

I pretty much enjoy the entire Zappa "package", whether it`s a silly song or a something from "The yellow shark" or an interview or whatever. I like to think I have an open mind, and I have no problem with Zappa`s mixing of so-called "high" and "low" art. Many people do though, and I guess that`s the main reason why Zappa is so misunderstood. It would be easier for the more conservative people if Zappa made "serious" music exclusively. People love to label stuff, it makes them feel safe. What makes Zappa so great is that even the funny songs are musically very interesting. I`m never bored when listening to his music. <br><br>Back to being open-minded; I think I have always been, but listening to Zappa certainly opened my mind when it comes to different types of music. Prior to my first Zappa purchase, I would never consider buying an album like CPIII or YS.  Zappa is very educating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:14 pm 

The Carl Stalling Project is pretty great, however, the music is primarily from old (ironically) Warner Bros. cartoons, not Disney. So much for my petty observation.............

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:29 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1043781579;start=0#11 date=01/30/03 at 09:08:06]I've listened to alot of Zappa alot, including T + B, Flakes and the others.  But, it would seem that if you are playing Flakes twice a day, then you're not playing Bob in Dacron very often.  True?  [/quote]<br>  :)<br><br>[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1043781579;start=0#11 date=01/30/03 at 09:08:06]We all have favorites, and seemingly many people's favorites tend to be "all of FZ", but I find that to be a generalism that few FZ fans actually live up to.  Am I wrong?[/quote]<br>I guess I tend to be in the catagory "all of FZ". But it works periodical with me. Mostely I listen to the early stuff up to Hot Rats (but excluding Ruben), Bongo, GW, Flo&Eddie, Roxy and the 88-stuff. I occasionally listen to all other albums. <br>In additioin, I have these periods wherein all I listen to is CP3, LS and YS, for weeks and weeks. So....<br><br>And then there are a lot of other artists of course. Just too much actually. I can't stand it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:04 pm 

As a non english-speakin person (and as a musician), I tend to listen to the music first, then the lyrics.<br>I like the funny side of Zappa, but to me, notes are stronger than words, artistically speaking.<br>Musically, Zappa was extraordinaire, and I'll never be tired of Greggery Peccary.<br><br>PS: If you can't play Läääääätheeeeer at a party, then you're at the wrong party !  ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:34 pm 

the funniset stuff for me are definitly musical like stuff in pygmy twilight and dont you ever wash that thing , interlude in zombie woof , whammy on the strat in the garage , start of cocksuckers ball - tons off em. much funnier than the spoken stuff. i dont know, these bits crack me up so much, when i hear em i get really excited - they are so funny and brilliant. <br>thinkin bout music too much wrecks it for me - music comes from the haert , not the mind -  humor and music are both dependant on timing to a large extent.<br><br>mungo<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:01 am 

You know,some of Frank's "serious" music has some musical humor in it too!  So,where do you draw the line,at just vocal jokes,or one-off comedic musical qoutes during some of Frank's "serious" music? The funny "celophane and moaning" segment,or "rock" segment of "Bogus Pomp" from LSO are perfect examples.How do you catagorise these pieces?Are they "serious" or "comedic"?<br>That is one of the best things about the music Frank made,his vision was simply his own.I'm not sure there were "genres" specifically intended at all times with his work. Anyway,let's just say he blurred the boundaries of them,or looked past the idea of "genre"!<br>That's how I see it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:47 am 

Even the serious material makes me laugh.  Having the ability to take matters that many in the "real" world hold true(jesus freaks) and highlight the flaws/ridiclus nature of these topics is a true gift.  It keeps them thinking while drawing a good laugh out of the rest of us.  Tax the churches.  Keep them on their toes.

Post subject: re: serious vs. humorous
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:41 am 

it's all serious, but the humorous stuff has lyrics....can you label any instrumentals humorous ?

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:13 pm 

[quote author=slime_oooytv_set link=board=legends;num=1043781579;start=15#22 date=02/25/03 at 13:41:08]i'd say it's all serious, but the humorous stuff has lyrics....can you label any instumentals humorous?[/quote]<br><br>Alot of the big band songs have funny riffs. <br><br>These are some funny instrumentals, brilliant and just plain silly.<br><br>Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus, The Crab-Grass Baby, Weasles ripped my flesh, The Purple Lagoon/Approximate,<br><br>I keel over laughing when I hear Purple Lagoon.  That song makes no sense.  It's so funny, because it's so complicated.  How could someone possably make that song, or even jam it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:37 am 

Trombone can be a great solo instrument. If you are lucky, watch the Stockholm 73 video where it was "colder than a motherfucker"<br>Bruce Fowler kicks out an incredible trombone solo<br>Infreakincredible<br>Some great archival footage of Frank's disdain for Luc Ponty also