Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:38 pm 

I'm new, dunno if this has been done before. <br><br>FZ has used and abused hundreds of musicians over his illustrious career. Some people have a preference for the early Mothers, and other like the 'Duke' years and I'm sure there are people who actually enjoy the huge "Tinseltown Orchestra". <br><br>But what if one had the opportunity to pick his/her favorite Mother/FZ musicians ever for each instrument, as well as a favorite vocalist. Let's do it like this:<br><br><br>Vocal:<br><br>Rhythm Guitar #1<br><br>Rhythm Guitar #2<br><br>Lead/Stunt Guitar:<br><br>Drums:<br><br>Percussion:<br><br>Keyboard:<br><br>Bass:<br><br>Horns: <br><br>Noises:<br><br><br>Yes, I know in the Tinseltown years Zappa used at least 2 keyboards, but I dislike that period, and since it's my thread y'all can only pick one.<br><br>I'm asking for 2 Rhythm Guitar players because I cannot make up my mind.<br><br>Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about my own question (it ain't easy, I find). <br><br>And now: create, like oyu've never created before.  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:18 pm 

Three guitarists and one keyboardist isn't true to the nature of most of Zappa's bands.<br><br>The original Mothers had Don Preston and Ian Underwood;<br><br>The Flo And Eddie Period had either Ian Underwood and Don Preston, Ian Underwood and Bob Harris, or Ian Underwood and George Duke;<br><br>The beginning of the Roxy-era bands featured George Duke and Ian Underwood, and later paired George Duke and Don Preston again;<br><br>The beginning of the "Zappa In New York" period had Eddie Jobson and Bianca;<br><br>Sheik Yerbouti, Baby Snakes, Joe's Garage and parts of Tinseltown Rebellion featured Peter Wolf and Tommy Mars;  <br><br>The You Are What You Is period featured Tommy Mars and Bob Harris;<br><br>Other 80's groups featured either Bobby Martin and Tommy Mars or Bobby Martin and Alan Zavod.<br><br>Very few Zappa bands had only one keyboardist, but Zappa was frequently the only guitarist.<br><br>So, until you modify this category, I object.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:28 pm 

OK, OK, throw in another synthboy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:39 pm 

Woo Hoo!<br><br><br>Vocal: Ray White<br><br>Rhythm Guitar #1: Denny Walley<br><br>Rhythm Guitar #2: Adrian Belew<br><br>Lead/Stunt Guitar: Steve Vai<br><br>Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta<br><br>Percussion: Ruth Underwood<br><br>Keyboard #1: George Duke<br><br>Keyboard #2: Ian Underwood<br><br>Bass: Arthur Barrow<br><br>Horns (2 Brass, Three Winds): Bruce Fowler, Walt Fowler, Kurt McGettrick, Bunk Gardner, Michael Brecker<br><br>Noises: Ed Mann<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:55 pm 

Not bad at all, Them.<br>I agree with quite a few of them. If this thread can grow a bit, we may be able to create the Mother of all Mothers band.<br><br>I'm going ot have a bite to eat now, and then I'll present my choices.  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:33 pm 

Vocals : Napoleon Murphy Brock<br><br>Rhythm: Lowell George<br><br>Rhythm: Ray White<br><br>Lead/Stunt: Steve Vai<br><br>Drums: Terri Bozzio<br><br>Percussion: Ruth Underwood<br><br>Keyboard: George Duke <br><br>Keyboard: Ian Underwood<br><br>Bass: Roy Estrada <br><br>Horns: The Woodwin/Brass section of the grand Wazoo Orchestra.<br><br>Noises: Ed Mann<br><br>Extra nomination:<br>Motorhead Sherwood on Tambourine.  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:26 am 

vocal - Napoleon Murphy Brock<br>rhythm      g1 - Ike Willis<br>    "            g2 - John lennon<br>lead/stunt g - Steve Vai<br>drums - little Terry Bozzio (that cute little drummer)<br>percussion - Ruth underwood<br>keyboard - George Duke<br>Bass - Scott Thunes<br>Horns - the '88 tour guys<br>noises/snorks - Dick Barber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:22 pm 

vocal/rhythm guitar;  willis, george lowell<br>lead/stunt g;  vai <br>drums;  ... (3way tie) a dunbar/guerin/chester t<br>percussion;  r underwood <br>keyboard;  duke <br>bass;  jack bruce <br>sax;  r brecker, ian whips it out<br>strumpet;  s marquez<br>stritch; rr kirk (who else)<br>violin;  e jobson<br>the big slpash;  haystacks calhoun<br><br><br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:34 pm 

Vocal: Ike Willis <br>  <br>Rhythm Guitar #1: Adrian Belew <br>  <br>Rhythm Guitar #2: Ike Willis again<br>  <br>Lead/Stunt Guitar: Steve Vai <br>  <br>Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta<br>  <br>Percussion: Ed Mann<br>  <br>Keyboard: Alan Zavod<br> <br>Keyboard #2: Bobby Martin <br>  <br>Bass: Scott Thunes <br>  <br>Horns:  The '88 horn section <br>  <br>Noises: PAOLO "FEIEZ" PANIGADA (never played with FZ but surely would be the best!)