Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Mudd Club
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:06 am 

Hi there! Now this is a long shot, but did any of you older forum members ever visit the Mudd Club when it was around? If you did, how was it? Serious? What about the guy with a blue mohawk? Did you work the wall? Share your experiences with the rest of us!

Post subject: Re: The Mudd Club
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:18 am 

Was Mudd Club just this one club or was it a chain  like the Hard Rock Cafes of today? I think I saw many videos, mostly lip-synching, from the 70s-80s on VH1 which were "Mudd Club Performances".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:51 am 

there was a mudd club in nyc mid '80s, it was 'downtown' and by that time, it had evolved from strictly punk to a must-be-seen hangout for the hipsters & then a edgy performance space....<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:16 pm 

I went a couple times. Once I went too early and there were only two people in the entire place. Me and David Bowie. We had a nice chat at the bar. I liked CBGB and Max's Kansas City better. Also went to Irving Plaza, the Rock Lounge, the Peppermint Lounge etc. It was fun. I witnessesed some cool stuff: Television with Tom Verlain and Richard Lloyd, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Beefheart, the Pop Group, Gang of Four, the B-52's first NY show, Pere Ubu, Black Flag, Wayne County , the Cramps, James Chance & the Contortions, Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, DNA, etc. It was a really fun time in NYC with lots of interesting music.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:38 pm 

I went looking for the Mudd club when I went to New York on holiday in the 80's, I found it but it had closed for good the only thing left was the name of the club painted badly on the door.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:38 pm 

[quote author=radley link=board=legends;num=1049454360;start=0#3 date=04/04/03 at 20:16:44]I went a couple times. Once I went too early and there were only two people in the entire place. Me and David Bowie. We had a nice chat at the bar. I liked CBGB ....[/quote]<br>hey radley, ever see joey miserable & the worms @ cbgb around that era (early 80's) ?<br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:39 am 

Never saw them. Others I saw: the Sick F*cks, the Government, the Model Citizens. At one point I kept a list. I probably saw 100 shows. Many had put out EP's you could buy at Bleeker Bob's.