Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:33 am 

I notice that some of the song titles on the original releases of Frank's albums have changed. <br><br>TOAD-O-LINE became ON THE BUS<br>WET T-SHIRT NITE became FEMBOT IN A WET T-SHIRT<br>WE'VE GOT TO GET INTO SOMETHING REAL became WAIT A MINUTE<br>BOBBY BROWN became BOBBY BROWN GOES DOWN<br><br>What's up wit dat, yo?<br>

somehow...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:14 am 

Hi, well, I don`t have the slightes idea. I noticed that too. But I don`t know why...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:50 pm 

Well, Frank changed more than just a few titles, didn't he? Some of the CD releases are different from the LP issues in more than one way. The reasons? We can only guess...<br><br>Where'd you get that info on 'Lonely little girl'? Never heard about that one.

--------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:03 pm 

<br>[quote author=weirdomusic link=board=legends&num=1030447991&start=0#4 date=08/28/02 at 15:50:51]<br>Well, Frank changed more than just a few titles, didn't he? Some of the CD releases are different from the LP issues in more than one way. The reasons? We can only guess...<br><br>Where'd you get that info on 'Lonely little girl'? Never heard about that one.<br>[/quote]<br><br>"It's His Voice On The Radio" is printed as the title for "Lonely Little Girl" on the lyrics sheet for WOIIFTM.

Post subject: "Cream Cheese"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:16 pm 

'The Old Masters' boxes are full of these title tranformations - my favourite is...<br><br>"The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet" is printed as "Cream Cheese" on the 'Old Masters Box One' version of 'Freak Out!'<br><br>Anyone care to list the rest of 'em?  Mine are kinda buried right now...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:00 pm 

If some novel title is thought of that is more aesthetically pleasing, or seems relevant at the time, then it is natural to change a title. Not that the old title can't co-exist, sort of...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:40 am 

> I notice that some of the song titles on <br>   > the original releases of Frank's albums <br>   > have changed. <br><br>When Zappa was interviewed about this, he wasn't even aware that the titles had changed. He said "why, what does it say on the CD?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:55 am 

Look at it this way, during the time Frank was performing, the songs never stayed the same, they were modified for each band and their unique abilities and also according to Franks whims. Since the sone itself never remained intact and unchained why should the title?<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:28 pm 

I would pull the notion out of my ass, that "Bobby Brown" might have been changed for legal reasons. "toad-O-line" perhaps from a past lawsuit from toto (can't quite remeber if I read that somewhere)<br><br>Some of the others might result from changes from the original (changed to avoid lawsuit) vinyl versions, onto the originally intended later versions.<br><br>I dunno, & got no evidence to back it up. So do what you want with it.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Joel Foust