Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:52 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=60#72 date=11/08/02 at 11:00:25]<br>It's absurd, no, dangerous, to ask anyone to boycott art.  And as far as Brittney Spears goes...To say that she has no integrity is absurd.  Do you know her?    <br>[/quote]<br>I'll drop what I said. You're right. <br><br>I said it because i think Britney isn't into "rock'n'roll".  From what I see on tv I tend to think she is just a mere conformist. <br>The clip is such a scam. No real drums, no real guitars, and still the video is full of them. That's what I meant 'bout her lacking integrity. <br>But hey, that's showbizz isn't it. Business, not music.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:04 am 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=75#75 date=11/09/02 at 11:52:30]<br>I'll drop what I said. You're right. <br><br>I said it because i think Britney isn't into "rock'n'roll".  From what I see on tv I tend to think she is just a mere conformist. <br>The clip is such a scam. No real drums, no real guitars, and still the video is full of them. That's what I meant 'bout her lacking integrity. <br>But hey, that's showbizz isn't it. Business, not music.[/quote]<br>Who in Z-Forum takes Britney's music seriously?  Ah, but what a set of Ta-Tas, God given or not.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:27 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=75#76 date=11/09/02 at 12:04:20]<br>Who in Z-Forum takes Britney's music seriously?  Ah, but what a set of Ta-Tas, God given or not.<br>[/quote]<br><br>My pickle sez: "did you really had to bring them up?"<br><br> ;D<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:09 am 

Stop it!<br><br>...unless someone offers her to me, bend over and spread, ready for my bullet...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:33 am 

I still gotta write this:<br>The music and its makers deeds are not the same thang.<br>if a musician eats mashed potatoes before recording his song, the music isn't about eating mashed potatoes and the listener who buys the music doesn't support the musician's fondess of mashed potatoes (except if the song is actually about mashed potatoes).<br><br>Potatoes, what a stupid word! Potatoes...potatoes...potatoes...sounds even more stupid as repeated! :o ??? 8)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:18 am 

I don't know Count Grishnack, so i can't speak for him.<br>I DO know Count Count from Sesame Street, but he is no fascist is he ???<br>And i doubt that he has made a record, so really...what am I talking about here ???<br><br>Oh well nevermind....it's just the acid kicking in...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:17 pm 

music is music. if the person is an asshole, fuck him! if the person is good, good!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:23 pm 

[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=0#0 date=11/02/02 at 10:41:54]Maybe first read the thread on Count Grishnack elsewhere in this section...<br><br>I thought a thread with a clear title can really jumpstart the (general) discussion.<br><br>The question is: if a musician is 'wrong' in his political views, or has done something wrong in any other way (eg is a know criminal) should we listen to it or not?<br>In what way such boycot will help, or not? <br>Maybe you know some other examples... (Gansta rap?)<br><br>Shouldn't or should we seperate the music from it's maker.  As in Frank's case, the later is difficult.<br><br>And can anyone tell me what was going on between Frank and Miles Davis? He supposedley ignored this jazzman for some reason, but why?<br>I know Miles was kinda an asshole, but was this the reason or...?[/quote]<br>I remember reading somewhere where Frank tried to introduce himself to Miles somewhere/sometime before Frank was famous and Miles brushed him off.  I think Frank's comment was something like "people don't treat people like that".<br>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:07 am 

The reason FZ was against labeling music was because it was putting stickers on albums that were offensive to certain people.  So just because we see people as wrong doesn't mean we should try to stop them from having their music out there.  Just because the majority of the people on this thread (myself included) are offended by the fact that the artist killed a couple of people, doesn't mean that we should say that his music should be stopped.  Yes, don't buy it, but don't try to stop others from buying it.  That's their choice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:58 pm 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=75#83 date=11/13/02 at 06:33:55]I still gotta write this:<br>The music and its makers deeds are not the same thang.<br>if a musician eats mashed potatoes before recording his song, the music isn't about eating mashed potatoes and the listener who buys the music doesn't support the musician's fondess of mashed potatoes (except if the song is actually about mashed potatoes).<br>[/quote]<br>Mashed potato time...<br><br>... This is interesting in a way because one of my other favorite composers/performers, Christian Vander of Magma, has been for years accused of fascist politics, and some of his lyrics and story lines show at least a fascination with if not an argument for fascism. (Well, maybe, they do - he writes in an invented language so it's hard to tell.) Daevid Allen of Gong, who toured on a bill with Magma in the early 70's, claimed that Vander had Nazi insignia all over his motel room. On the other hand, Allen's songs feature a character called the Pothead Pixie, so you may want to take that with a grain of salt (or a gram of hash, your choice.)<br><br>Does that color the music of Magma or my enjoyment of it? It's hard to say. I'm aware that that element is there, and I suspect that in some way it does affect Vander's choices when he writes. I know that I love much of the music of Magma, and that Vander is the best drummer I have ever heard or seen. However, his political ideas may be in part why Vander's lyrics are intentionally incomprehensible and couched in an ongoing science fiction/ecology/mystical storyline.<br><br>I probably just wrote all of this as some sort of perverse attempt to get people curious about Magma. Pass the grain, or gram.<br><br>- Mark