Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:09 am 

sorry dude. chill or something.  And get ur gun.<br><br>And if i'm not mistaken: you started this whole grishnack thing in another thread. No need to get crummy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:26 am 

[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=30#39 date=11/02/02 at 13:09:42]sorry dude. chill or something.  And get ur gun.<br><br>And if i'm not mistaken: you started this whole grishnack thing in another thread. No need to get crummy.[/quote]<br> <br>Yeah ok. <br>I've been listening to a lot of black metal a short time ago and it just made me forgot what great music i was missing. I was into Zappa before I got interested in metal in general and I feel that my "metal period" was musically very...um..uncolorful (I didn't come up with a better word). <br>Gladly, now i've found the light again and enjoy my daily dose of Zappa with a smile on my face. :)<br> Of course I may sometime revisit some of those albums but I feel that Zappa is my "musical home".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:36 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=30#41 date=11/02/02 at 13:26:18]<br> <br>Yeah ok. <br>I've been listening to a lot of black metal a short time ago and it just made me forgot what great music i was missing. [/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I recognize that, I've had periods when I only  listened to prog rock and nothing else, not even my old favorites like the Beatles (who were as 'progressive' as they come, but ok..). I still enjoy a lot of those records, but it is kind of limiting to devote yourself to one genre only, you're just missing out on a lot of other good stuff.<br><br>Hmm.. that was completely off-topic. I apologize.. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:42 am 

<br>There's a lot of truth in that guys.<br><br>Not a complete waste of time though, I think: as Suoma said: this other stuff just makes us realize Zappa sets the standards.<br><br>I think I'm going to play some furious stupid metal album right now, just for old time sake. Hell Yeah. Whiplash.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:55 am 

It is a complicated debate and as _bb_ pointed out, it's not exclusive to black metal. For example, the guy who owns Death Row Records, Suge Knight, has a huge criminal record and it is widely believed that he still is involved in a lot of criminal activities, but Dr. Dre's 'The Chronic' and Snoop Doggs 'Doggystyle' both appeared on his label and are two of the bestselling hiphop albums ever. Then again, the whole music business is filled with crooks and mobsters.. :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:56 am 

This is off-topic, but while I never may enjoy black metal again the same way as before, my favourite heavy metal group remains IRON MAIDEN. Piece of Mind RULES!!<br>                     GREAT HEAVY METAL!!<br><br><br>               [move] 8)UP THE IRONS!! 8)[/move]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:04 pm 

Yeah, Maiden's pretty cool. I still dig those long epic pieces like 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' (we actually listened to that song in English class when we were discussing the poem by Coleridge) or 'Phantom of the Opera'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:06 pm 

Glad Studebaker mentioned that this thread is not meant as an exclusive black metal discussion. Than we could have just continued the Grishnack thread.<br><br>And to Mr.Bickford and Suoma: don't panic, it isn't all that rotten in black metal land... <br>As you may have noticed: it is all the time about 3 bands only: Burzum (the one man band of Grischnack), Mayhem (where Grishnack played bass and murdered the guitar player Euronymous) and Emperor (where all the bad guys are in jail, so nowadays the band is clean).  All the facts (murders, etc) mentioned occured like more than 10 years ago...<br><br>So, no need to never enjoy black metal again.  And as we said: most of the evil stuff is just a pose, just like Iron Maiden is also theatre... Great theatre nevertheless...  Venom never meant a thing they sung about.<br>The only tricky thing about that is that most teenagers don't seem to get that. But hey, they'll learn...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:16 pm 

Nice list there, MrBick. I think I'll play some old Megadeth right now, 'Rust in peace' is still an incredible album.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:18 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#51 date=11/02/02 at 14:11:53]<br>It astounds me how all us "Zappa-folk" are really open about stuff and smart about it too. <br>[/quote]<br><br>To me that doesn't seem to weird. To enjoy Zappa you have to be open minded, and have a bit of intelligence too. The narrow-minded folks just seem to catalogue Zappa under weird jibberish carnavalesk noise, so... Zappa embraced all styles in some sort a way, so it is kinda logical that his fans do to...<br><br><br>Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, RATM & Sepultura were the first bands I really digged, like when I was 14 or so. I still play their older stuff.  Vulgar Display of Power,  Chaos AD and the RATM are fucking great records.  Word up...<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:20 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#51 date=11/02/02 at 14:11:53]<br>Cannibal Corpse<br>[/quote]<br><br>Cannibal Corpse? Those guys are ridiculos! I just can't take them too seriously. Just listen to the song "skull full of maggots" on "live cannibalism".  <br>I just crack up when I hear the "skuulll fuull of maiigaaz" part. Cannibal Corpse's great in it's own way but they also could be just a comedy group. <br>At least i'm not too shocked about their lyrics, mostly I just laugh about them

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:23 pm 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#52 date=11/02/02 at 14:16:31]Nice list there, MrBick. I think I'll play some old Megadeth right now, 'Rust in peace' is still an incredible album. [/quote]<br><br>Good choice, but put on Captive Honour, track 10 from Countdown to Extinction. It's opening dialogue surely wasn't meant to be funny, but hell it is. And it's a bit in the theme of this thread.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:26 pm 

[quote author=Studebaker link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#52 date=11/02/02 at 14:16:31] I think I'll play some old Megadeth right now[/quote]<br>And you said you couldn't get past black metal vocals... You must agree, ....Dave Mustain.... <br>His voice...<br>A real symphony of destruction!<br><br>But we like it!<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:29 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#57] we *seem* to have a lot in common as people in otherwords... <br>[/quote]<br>Zappa Unites, that's for sure!<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:30 pm 

[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=45#56 date=11/02/02 at 14:26:24]<br>And you said you couldn't get past black metal vocals... You must agree, ....Dave Mustain.... <br>His voice...<br>[/quote]<br> <br>LOL, a friend of mine thinks his vocals sound like Beavis (from Beavis & Butthead).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:33 pm 

Yep, Metal...  why we like will always remain a mystery...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:37 pm 

CC: "Fucked with a knife" and stuff like that, really funny indeed. They say it themselves in interviews, they're only in it for a laugh. <br>And for titties & beer of course.<br><br>There are some intelligent death metal as well, check out the Heartwork-album of Carcass. These guys are all vegetarians, got degrees, etc.  They started as a joke, writing about corpes, etc, but when they got more mature they started dealing with more serious topics. Heartwork is probably the best Death/grind album around I think, on all levels.<br>But I didn't want to get serious again...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:40 pm 

Hey, if you want to hear something really offensive, check out this grindcore/hardcore band called Anal Cunt. The song titles speak for themselves: <br><br>1 - I became a counselor so I could tell rape victims the asked for it<br>2 - Easy E got Aids from F. Mercury<br>3 - I like drugs and child abuse<br>4 - Laughing while Lennard Peltier get raped in prison<br>5 - I convinced you to beat your wife on a daily basis<br>6 - I sent concentration camp footage to America's funniest home videos<br>7 - Rancid Sucks (and the Clash sucked too)<br>8 - I paid J. Howell to rape you<br>9 - I pushed your wife in front of the subway<br>10 - Extreme Noise Terror are afraid of us<br>11 - You Rollerblading faggot<br>12 - I sent a thank you card to the guy who raped you<br>13 - I lit your baby on fire<br>15 - I intentionally ran over your dog<br>16 - Sweatshops are cool<br>17 - Women; nature's punching bag<br>18 - I snuck a retard into a sperm bank<br><br>etc. etc.<br><br>Of course, the actual "music" is just a bunch of unintelligable noise with the obligatory 'cookie monster' vocals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:45 pm 

Now that we started discussing intelligent heavy metal I must tell you about [glow=red,2,300]OPETH[/glow]<br> Now there's a band you MUST get to know. <br>Make your first purchase "Blackwater Park" or "Still Life".<br>Their music is beyond categorizing, some people call it "opeth metal". They have long songs with occasional acoustic guitar parts and switching between clear vocals and demonic death metal grunts. Mikael Åkerfelt's growl-voice is the best i've ever heard!<br>Do yourself a favor and check this band out!<br>You won't be disappointed, they're not an ordinary death metal band!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:47 pm 

Yeah, I second the recommendation of Opeth, that's an incredible band. Great players, too. I also really like some records by Meshuggah, great technical players and the lead guitarist even sneaks in a couple of Holdsworth-like jazz/fusion-solo's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:52 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=60#64 date=11/02/02 at 14:41:22]<br>Any major major stuff that you think any major metal fan MUST own...thx..<br> [/quote]<br><br>You're too kind, I'm not that up to date anymore. As I said, I enjoyed metal in my teens. But I still follow it a bit so if I should recommend you something check out:<br><br>- CRADLE OF FILTH: definitely the best epic black band around. "Vempire or dark faerytales in Phallustein" and "Cruelty and the Beast" are their best. Agressive, intelligent lyrics (you'll need a dictionary, even if you are a native english speaker), epic and very very british. Very Iron Maiden influenced. And quite funny too, the lead singer seems to want a stand up comedian carriere at concerts. <br>- ABSU: their latest album is the last really good metalalbum I heared. They're from Texas and are into this Celtic mythology thing, but their drummer really kicks ass. Really fast and agressive trashy black metal, with vocals that sometimes remind me of Mercyfull Fate, etc. It has this eighties feeling to it.  It is called 'TARA' and it is a killer!<br><br>Don't shoot me if you don't like it, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:59 pm 

I only have "My Arms, Your Hearse" of OPETH, which I like very much. <br>I didn't get myself their later work. Is it in the same vain or better than the album I have?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:59 pm 

I think The Gathering is great! If_then_else  is one of the best albums i've heard. It's not too "metal" though. More like "Pink Floyd meets doom metal+originality". <br>From Netherlands I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:03 pm 

[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=60#69 date=11/02/02 at 14:59:05]I only have "My Arms, Your Hearse" of OPETH, which I like very much. <br>I didn't get myself their later work. Is it in the same vain or better than the album I have?[/quote]<br><br>"hearse" is good...but "still life" and "blackwater park" are going to be classics that people will listen to in the year 30028.  They're breathtaking albums, better than "hearse". I think they get better all the time. <br>I just think they're one of the best groups of these times!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:00 am 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
[quote author=_bb_ link=board=legends;num=1036262514;start=0#5 date=11/02/02 at 11:06:28]Mostly such extremists music sucks, that's right.  <br><br>'bout the financing of criminals thing: where do you draw the line? Should we stop buying early Michael Jackson records? <br><br>In the case of Burzum: I don't think he'll get that much $ from the sells of his things. And if he did, i don't really have a problem with that, I don't know why, but I don't care if he's wealthy or not. He's in jail for like another 10 years so... <br><br>I don't get upset if i read some dumb, stupid or rascists lyrics. I don't agree with them, they kinda interest me on a more sociological level, so if the music is good, I'll listen to it.  Same goes for all the stupid and ignorant stuff in the regular charts.  E.g. "It's getting hot in here, so take of all your clothes" from Nelly or some stupid Celine Dion lovesong kinda upsets me more than the burzum shit.<br><br>You wanna know what really upsets me? <br>"I love rock and roll" by Britney.  She's hasn't got any integrity at all, and that upsets me more than someone who has the wrong ideas but at least is upright about it.<br><br>[/quote]<br>It's absurd, no, dangerous, to ask anyone to boycott art.  And as far as Brittney Spears goes...To say that she has no integrity is absurd.  Do you know her?  Just because an Artist sells Pepsi and produces pop music doesn't mean she has no integrity.  I like that version of that song.  <br><br>Do I own anything Brittney?  No.<br><br>But just think of the royalties Joanie Jett will get!