Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:47 am 

Another silly topic, idn´t it? ;)<br>I guess FZ wouln`t have taken much time to be "online" very much. But what of the great possibilities of the www do you think he would have enjoyed? <br>- Would he offer his music here since he always had <br>  distribution or record company troubles?<br>- Would he make fun of www-junkies?<br>- Would he answer e-mails or forum questions in person?<br><br>guess guess guess... ???  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:23 am 

Yes, i think so....<br>Since FZ was always ''ahead of his time'' and (tried) to use whatever NEW technology available to him in order to make his music the way HE wanted to.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:09 am 

I guess he was way too busy with music and composing. But, wouldn't it be great if he had digitized concerts from the vault and made them available for download for a nominal fee? Man, that would be something...<br><br> Of course, he would have abhorred all the 'free' peer-to-peer programs like Kazaa or Napster.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:11 pm 

Well, actually he would most likely get some pretty interesting ideas from his fans. Things like .wav files and the like. He might even have had a contest to find the "most unnatural sound" or something like that. I'm sure he would have used this media to its limits.<br>[quote author=zliq link=board=legends&num=1035474445&start=0#0 date=10/24/02 at 07:47:25]<br>Another silly topic, idn´t it? ;)<br>I guess FZ wouln`t have taken much time to be "online" very much. But what of the great possibilities of the www do you think he would have enjoyed? <br>- Would he offer his music here since he always had <br>  distribution or record company troubles?<br>- Would he make fun of www-junkies?<br>- Would he answer e-mails or forum questions in person?<br><br>guess guess guess... ???  <br>[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:26 am 

He basically predicted the online album subscription service 20 years ago.  He talked about streaming whole albums into people's homes so he didn't have to deal with traditional stores.  At the time he was suggesting it over cable TV lines.  He only lamented the loss of the cover art for a complete package.  I'd quote him directly, but I've read tons of his interviews recently and don't remember where I saw it.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:52 am 

<br>[quote author=justHerb link=board=legends&num=1035474445&start=0#7 date=10/29/02 at 11:26:32]<br>He basically predicted the online album subscription service 20 years ago.  He talked about streaming whole albums into people's homes so he didn't have to deal with traditional stores.  At the time he was suggesting it over cable TV lines.  He only lamented the loss of the cover art for a complete package.  I'd quote him directly, but I've read tons of his interviews recently and don't remember where I saw it.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I also read about this project. I believe it was in the Real FZ Book.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:08 am 

<br>[quote author=justHerb link=board=legends&num=1035474445&start=0#7 date=10/29/02 at 11:26:32]<br>He basically predicted the online album subscription service 20 years ago.  He talked about streaming whole albums into people's homes so he didn't have to deal with traditional stores.  At the time he was suggesting it over cable TV lines.  He only lamented the loss of the cover art for a complete package.  I'd quote him directly, but I've read tons of his interviews recently and don't remember where I saw it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, there we go again! That`s FZ in the flesh. Could be I had this lurking somewhere in the canyons of my mind when I posted the topic.  :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:13 am 

I think so!  The sharing and availability of information and products worldwide has its appeal.  True, it is very time consuming to "surf" the internet, but in my minds eye I see FZ in front of a monitor smiling with his mouse, coffee and smokes in hand. LOL  ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:44 pm 

Dunno 'bout you, but was'nt there alreadt some sort of prehistoric (right word?) version of the net back in '93? Maybe even earlier? I'm sure he was using it---of COURSE he would have enjoyed it!  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:41 am 

i think he'd throw his fans a bone or two every now & then and release some downloads......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:44 pm 

as i understand it mental it was the millitary that developed thr internet - or at least the concept of it - the idea is that in the event of a nuclear strike that innevitibly destroys large parts of the telecommunication network there is a system that re-roots telephone calls through other pathways / lines - a self healing system that works on the basis that you cannot sever every telephone line in the country - communications can always be maintained. <br><br>i think academic use came later - but im no expert.<br><br>would frank have surfed - not much i think - lets face it - its a pile of crap unless yous after a specific information. hed be makin music as usuall. as a marketing tool - yeah.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:35 pm 

The Internet would have provided him with plenty of subject matter. If he were still alive, he would probably be working on a song about Pete Townsend right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:41 am 

[quote author=L. Jon Hubbub link=board=legends;num=1035474445;start=15#17 date=03/10/03 at 17:35:58]The Internet would have provided him with plenty of subject matter. If he were still alive, he would probably be working on a song about Pete Townsend right now.[/quote]<br><br>poor Pete! You do not believe this to be true, huh?<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:51 am 

I think he would've liked the internet, but he'd probably have many songs about it by now, making fun of the overuse of it! I don't know if he'd use the forum, but I bet he would have every now and again. It's just like answering to a letter from a fan really, does anybody out there have a letter from him?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:48 pm 

In Franks book he talks about a PAY PER SONG type of cable idea that he was trying to promote back in the early eighties I believe. Have to get the book out to find out for sure.<br>Based on that I think he would have used the internet as a business tool just the way Gail is using it today.<br>Just an observation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:57 am 

and imagine if he had MSN messanger ::) nah to unreal<br><br>"Frank Zappa has logged in" ;D<br><br>to strange thinking of but he would find alot of crap out there in "the land of sexual means"......ok thats sucked ::)<br><br>well it would jsut be cool if he lived today,but he died since he *cough*smoked*cough*....yeah well ::)