Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:30 pm 

He had a fear of cats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:12 am 

Don't remember the name of the kitty pictured, but that was one of the Zappa family pets...I think he likes him. I also recall an interview with him wherein he spoke of being a father and he did'nt think he enjoy it at first, but, " I liked puppies and kittens".............Yes, that's right equating an ani-mule with a human baby ;D ;D. Only Frank could say that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:49 pm 

Hey, I'm just repeating with Phylis The Man-Lady told me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:25 am 

[quote author=dove_grey link=board=legends;num=1043470469;start=0#7 date=01/26/03 at 02:12:54]Don't remember the name of the kitty pictured..[/quote]<br><br>I believe it was 'Marshmoff' - another Diva-ism. Great name for a cat! ;D<br><br>I bet if Frank ever played 'Silent Hill' on Playstation he'd get scared. Hell, I nearly shat myself, zombies are one thing, but the creatures in this game freaked me out so much I had to stop playing and go back to 'Parappa the Rapper'.<br><br>Does anyone know what I'm trying to say here ???<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:19 pm 

<br> <br>Zappa In Deutschland<br>For example, the first time I went to Germany I was scared to go there. We went there in 1967 to play in Essen. The only thing I knew about Germany was submarine movies, all that kind of stuff, and it was all 'Achtung! Achtung! Achtung!'. And we got off the plane in Düsseldorf and there are men with machine guns in the airport. We didn't have machine guns in US airports - soldiers walking, all with machine guns! Everybody in the band goes, 'What the fuck is going on here?' What happened to me the first time that I went there? Remember, we played in Essen and I just read this book The Arms of Krupp with all the horrors of what went on, and then looking at this town and thinking of all the stuff I read in this book. I must say that I was a totally prejudiced individual when I got there. But at least I'm intelligent enough to open my mind and talk with the people who live there and I can easily admit that my first impressions and second impressions, too, because when we went to Berlin and played and we had the riot in 1968, I never wanted to go back to Germany again. But I have to say, the guy that really made the most difference in convincing me to go back to Germany and play again and even to go back to Berlin was Fritz Rau. Because he did more to explain to me German history and German politics than anybody else...and I have to thank him because he gave me the basic information that I needed to have a better understanding of what was really going on in the country. It was not always easy to convince the other guys in the band that they should go back, but I think the other comments that I made throughout the years will reinforce what I say about the respect that I have for the people there and the fact that Germany has turned out to be our strongest audience in Europe, and whenever we would do tours there, we would play more concerts in Germany than in any other country. Like in 88 we did eleven shows just in Germany.<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:35 pm 

Very interesting :) Where did this interview take place and when? What publication? Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I know he hated needles and doctors.............

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:32 pm 

[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=legends;num=1043470469;start=0#11 date=02/11/03 at 06:25:23]<br><br>I believe it was 'Marshmoff' - another Diva-ism. Great name for a cat! ;D<br><br>I bet if Frank ever played 'Silent Hill' on Playstation he'd get scared. Hell, I nearly shat myself, zombies are one thing, but the creatures in this game freaked me out so much I had to stop playing and go back to 'Parappa the Rapper'.<br><br>Does anyone know what I'm trying to say here ???<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I know what your trieng to say, since i'm a gamer and it's fun to see a few that are interested in games just like me.<br><br>I haven't played Silent Hill nor the second or the third because watching the DvD preview was enough for me.Brrrrr!<br><br>But have you ever played DOOM2? The sounds of roaring and gurgling from animal-like creatures make you freak out, i don't have the sound on when i play it.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:12 pm 

I think Frank was scared of non Zappa-family people who would&could make money on his music and image after his death.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:53 pm 

Thanks, Idiot B.!  :) But I thought the word "Marshmoff" was Diva's way of saying marshmellow......or however you spell it. No matter, thanks again for the info! ;D

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:42 pm 

I'm almost 100% sure Frank was afraid of either doctors or needles.<br><br>One or the other

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:30 am 

[quote author=kaiser_rolls link=board=legends;num=1043470469;start=0#11 date=02/11/03 at 06:25:23]<br><br>I believe it was 'Marshmoff' - another Diva-ism. Great name for a cat! ;D<br><br>I bet if Frank ever played 'Silent Hill' on Playstation he'd get scared. Hell, I nearly shat myself, zombies are one thing, but the creatures in this game freaked me out so much I had to stop playing and go back to 'Parappa the Rapper'.<br><br>Does anyone know what I'm trying to say here ???<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes, Silent Hill is quite spooky.<br><br>Another contender for a scary game is Aliens vs. Predator for the PC and Mac. Good god, if you've seen any of the Alien or Predator movies, you'll see that the same fear effect runs deep in the game.