Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa vs. Bowie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:27 am 

Tin Machine was an excellent band. Reeves Gabrels is a monster guitar player!<br><br>Bowie always was hit-and-miss, but the good stuff is worthwhile. As for Let's Dance, Stevie Ray Vaughn played on it - Bowie missed a great opportunity to use SRV there.<br><br>As for FZ's take on Bowie, I have no info to contribute.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:21 pm 

bowie was one of the first things i got into in bout 1981 i think - the local record shop had a deal going for all his lps reissued for i think it was £2.99 then - i got em all and also got the new ones - scary monsters and lets dance. the latter has SRV on it for a lick or 2 - so that makes it an ok lp , plus the china gal in that video - where is she now - probably workin for singapore airlines - them babes ! ? <br><br>anyway after that bowie just produced shit - i recon. <br><br>his most humorus song - the laughing gnome - its great. <br><br>i dont listen to bowie anymore. boo hoo. zappa 9 - bowie 4<br><br>mungo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:06 pm 
Banned

Bowie never appealed to me when I was younger, but I've gotten more and more into his stuff.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:06 am 

I don't know as Frank hated Mistah Bowie--he just said the bio was shit. Seems there was one out many years ago that was'nt too great. I recall him saying a few favorable things about Bowie...don' recall offhand. If he did dislike him, it might have been for the time when Bowie came to see Frank in concert (must have been a fan on some level) and he asked Adrian Belew during one of Frank's guitar solos(when some of the musicians went backstage ) if he would go on tour with him. Adrian left not long after that night. So, I might be a bit peavish if that happened. Adrian and Frank made their peace about that way before he died.<br>                              I know Moon is a HUGE Bowie fan, even got to interview him once. I love him. I just listened to my casette of Scary Monsters in my car--twice in a row. Also love Station To Station--1975 and it still sounds fresh. I think Ziggy is an across-the-board fave for most people, even if they don't like anything else he does......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:26 pm 

[quote author=hustler mag interview: [font=times new roman]    'frank zappa's got brand new shoes'    [/font]link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=16 date=aug 1974]Hustler: How accurate was David Bowie's autobiography? <br><br>Zappa: It's not very accurate. In fact, it's a piece of shit.[/quote]<br><br>me never was a big bowie fan until fripp started sitting in; my favorite is heroes...i think fripp gives bowie the edgy sound he had when he 1[sup]st[/sup] broke onto the scene, after a few years, bowie wasn't leading edge anymore and fripp supplied the fresh new angle (fav tracks: fashion, heroes, beauty & the beast)<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:43 pm 

And, ultimately, WHO GIVES A FUCK, ANYWAY?<br><br><br><br>                             ;D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:37 pm 

I guess my favorites would be two live albums, one called STAGE and the other is DAVID LIVE, both are great rock n roll records. Any kind of Bowie fan should try to find one of these. I don't know why they were not included in the remasters.....?<br><br>Also I really like, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust , Diamond Dogs,Lodger,Scary Monsters, Let's Dance.<br><br>But, for me the best one of them all is, Young Americans. One classic song after another.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:43 pm 

Well, I'm a GREAT BOWIE FAN!!!<br>I think he's been one of the few who's been good to change his style year by year. Every Bowie's album has got a sense. I love [glow=red,2,300]O U T S I D E[/glow]over all. That' one of the best album ever, it'is really original, maybe it could be a 2020 album, it's really ahead... I'm pretty sure about this.. I love then first period (specially HUNKY DORY and ZIGGY, of course); I like the LET'S DANCE period; I think the trilogy [glow=red,2,300]HEROES/LOW/LODGER [/glow] IS FANTASTIC. I like very much the last album too (HEATEN) and I'm curious about the new one coming soon...<br>Long life to the WHITE DUKE!<br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:44 pm 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=15#18 date=06/26/03 at 16:59:16]Anybody like Pinups?  <br><br>Image<br><br>I often think of it as a good example of how to do a cover version of a song.  Bowie's versions are both respectful to the original while being made entirely his own.  Thats a trick that is often not executed very well.  Sure, one can take the bones of a song and go completely left field on it, but thats another animal.  I'm talking about personalizing someone else's song while keeping its essence intact.[/quote]<br><br>I think that the Pink Floyd SEE EMILY PLAY cover is fantastic; anyway this album isn't one of my favourite.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:47 pm 

One more thing to say...<br>I don't know why Zappa dislikes Bowie...anyway I think is because Zappa is an anti-rockstarclassicalidol... Sometimes it seems that Bowie is pretty full of himself, without irony and Zappa IS IRONY.<br>That's only my thought... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:20 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=15#27 date=06/27/03 at 01:10:39][tt][size=2]<br><br>I couldn't agree more. [/quote]<br> ??? ??? that's mean that you are agree with me?