Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa vs. Bowie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:16 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=15#29 date=06/27/03 at 01:48:22][tt] That's right MIZZU! ;)[/tt][/quote]<br><br>thanks for your feed-back... it's an usual question of my spaghetti-english...<br><br>Ciao.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:18 am 

[quote author=Dirty_Love link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#31 date=06/27/03 at 02:54:57]<br><br>ooo my god,,, my ears are bleeding... I yust downloaded and lisened to that song and it was one of the worst covers I ever have heard in my life... the original is so much beter. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>of course original is better but I think that Bowie did a nice version... and SEE EMILY PLAY doesn't seems to me an easy stuff to cover... I love Bowie modulation an emotional timbre in this song.<br><br>ciao<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:43 am 

[quote author=sir galoot link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=15#22 date=06/26/03 at 23:37:00]<br><br>But, for me the best one of them all is, Young Americans. One classic song after another.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah... it's my fault! Every time I talk about Bowie I forget this masterpiece...<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:54 am 

i doubt frank ever read Bowies autobiography

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:14 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#37 date=06/27/03 at 08:04:54]<br><br><br>Cool!  I'm not the only one!   :)[/quote]<br><br> ;)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:15 am 

[quote author=Eat_That_Question link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#38 date=06/27/03 at 08:54:27]i doubt frank ever read Bowies autobiography[/quote]<br><br>...when was it published? I hope not after 1994...<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:24 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#40 date=06/27/03 at 11:15:43]<br><br>...when was it published? I hope not after 1994...<br>[/quote]<br><br>...I mean 1993, of course... (sorry Frank, peace!)

Post subject: re: bowie vs. zappa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:38 pm 

[quote author=bowie, when asked to comment on zappa link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#42 date=07/22/72]Yes, I admire Zappa, but there again I prefer Charlie Mingus. I like my parody to be a little softer because I'm a pacifist by nature and hostility in any form, even on a mental level, I find not endearing. I think Zappa may have a problem with feeling that he was not accepted on a Mingus level and he had to find himself an audience. I don't think he's ever forgotten that...<br><br>...Before Santana came, I was into the English scene and I was never able to relate to that stuff because of my earlier interest in Coltrane and Mingus as well. A lot of Zappa's things flatten me, actually....<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>[quote author=bowie, when asked: any of zappa's stuff make it with you?link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#42 date=07/22/72]We're Only In It For The Money, because I mean I saw huge potential in that area for Zappa, but I don't understand Zappa and I'm not that intrigued by him to try to unwrap his problems or try to find out why......[/quote]<br><br><br>[tt]BOWIE ON ZIGGY AND OTHER MATTERS<br>NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS, july 22nd, 1972<br>By Charles Shaar Murray [/tt]<br>

Post subject: Re: bowie vs. zappa
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:18 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=30#42 date=06/28/03 at 02:38:33]<br><br><br><br>[tt]BOWIE ON ZIGGY AND OTHER MATTERS<br>NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS, july 22nd, 1972<br>By Charles Shaar Murray [/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br>That's cool! 8) ;)<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:38 am 

My current DB CD line-up exists of:<br><br>The Man Who Sold The World<br>Hunky Dory<br>Ziggy<br>Aladdin Sane<br>Low<br>Heroes<br>Scary Monsters<br>Outside<br>Earthling<br><br>Anybody ever see DB in concert? I did 5 times I think, between 1975 (Young Americans)-1986 (Glass Spider?)<br><br>Standout show was 1978 Heroes tour, from which the material for Stage was taken...Adrian Belew in the line-up...he blew (or is it Belew) me away with his solo at the beginning of Station To Station...<br><br>Show began exactly at the time printed on the ticket when the band casually strolled onstage with the house lights still on and the arena about 3/4 filled, and began playing the song "Warszawa" from Low... as everyone scambled to their seats the house lights slowly lowered and the stage lights slowly went up..by DB's vocal part on the song, the house lights were completely off...a strange but memorable concert opening...the show was outstanding, one of my most memorable concerts, period. <br><br><br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:20 am 
Hustler: How accurate was David Bowie's autobiography? <br><br>FZ: It's not very accurate. In fact, it's a piece of shit. <br><br><br>Basta!<br>  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:43 am 
MURRAY: Zappa?<br><br>BOWIE: Yes, I admire Zappa but there again I prefer Charlie Mingus.  I like my parody to be a little softer because I'm a pacifist person by nature and hostility in any form, even on a mental level, I find not endearing.  I think Zappa may have a problem with feeling that he was not accepted on a Mingus level and he had to find himself an audience.  I don't think he's ever forgotten that.<br><br>MURRAY: But "Pithecanthropus Erectus" is not quite the same as Brown Shoes Don't Make It?<br><br>BOWIE: Well, that's the strength of my view on parody.  I'm a softer person by nature. I'm not hostile.  I don't believe I'm an aggressive performer either.  I like the situation that seems to develop with the audience which is generally on a very human level and they're quite friendly.  Its neither screamy nor rebellious: it just has a good feeling to it.  I love my audiences.  I think I've not been to too many gigs, where the feeling is not nice.  Its a very warm feeling I get from audiences.<br>... Before Santana came, I was into the English scene and I was never able to relate to that stuff because of my earlier interest in Coltrane and Mingus as well.   A lot of Zappas things flatten me actually.<br><br>MURRAY: Any of Zappa's stuff make it with you?<br><br>BOWIE: We're Only In It For The Money, because I mean I saw huge potential in that area for Zappa, but I don't understand Zappa and I'm not that intrigued by him to try to unwrap his problems or try to find out why.<br><br> <br>Bosto!<br>  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:05 pm 

thats interesting bowie on zappa stuff mr. nebula - i think ol david has a bit of a complex regardin frank by the sounds of it. i wont pass comment on what he said though, suffice to say i dont agree - mr. bowie. <br><br>anyway , back to reality - dove grey, and you really said this and i have an answer -  <br><br>And, ultimately, WHO GIVES A FUCK, ANYWAY?  - <br><br>i give em - and offer em regularly to ANYONE who takes a fancy  - i dont get  much business , however , should you be interested call me on - 00353 , 775 , 696969 <br>for an instant , thrillin, exciting , time-of-yer-life experience. <br><br>thats if yer boy/gal/animal/vedgetable or leftie - ims willin<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:12 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=45#49 date=06/28/03 at 14:25:43]<br><br>Cool story! Did you know that a good chunk of Stage was recorded at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on that tour?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thats exactly where I saw the show my friend...the Spectrum in Philly...we actually slept out by a Ticketmaster window the night before to get tix...(we were really into DB at the time) anyway, we sat 6th row dead center...a great great concert...<br><br>[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=45#49 date=06/28/03 at 14:25:43]<br><br>Btw, the Glass Spider tour was in '87 and he didn't tour for Young Americans but was performing a lot of the album before it came out in '74 on the Soul tour, aka the Fall leg of the Diamond Dogs tour...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I thought about it Disco...you're right (of course). I saw DB in November 1974 at Radio City Music Hall...my second concert ever...it was actually a terrible show as DB was flu-stricken and played only about 45 minutes...<br><br>As for Glass Spider...well, I was only off by a year!  ;D<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:42 pm 

Mungo, Mungo, Mungo. What will we DO with you? *Arching eyebrow FZ-like*........Readers, any suggestions to the suggestible listener? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:01 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=legends;num=1056561623;start=45#52 date=06/28/03 at 22:34:42]<br><br>I've been listening to Stage a lot lately, you're probably one of the fans I hear wooooooing in the audience.... ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Now I'm envious of YOU...I only have stage on vinyl, and no turntable...haven't heard it in years, and I've been dying to hear it for a long time...will it ever be released on CD? <br>

>You don't.